Quantcast

My bike now has fangs!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Got some custom modifications on my bike. Lets see if you all can figure out what happened.

Before...

After...

Fangs...

I gotta be careful, those badboys are sharp....

jdcamb

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
macko said:
you trimmed the shock mount? how'd you do that? and why? is that a raven? where do babies come from?
It was hand trimmed with a professional (a Foredom) cutting tool. I wanted a 6.25" 28lb trail bike and didn't have a couple of grand laying around. I also wanted to keep my geometry/riding position the same. So with the help of BikerCad and some friends I had the tabs cut and drilled. The old shock was a 6.5" I2I with a 1.5" stroke, the new one is a 7.5" I2I with a 2" stroke. It is a 97 Super V with a 03 Jekyll swingarm on it. It has (estimated) a 68.5 headtube angle, 69.5 seatube angle. I a running a Talas with some Gemini adapters to get there. Based on the first ride. I am very happy with it. It is very stiff and sure footed and climbs like no other 6" trailbike I have ever rode. Very comfy.

Ask your Mom where babies come from. I have no idea.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BigMike said:
That has bad idea written all over it!
Only if it wasn't thought out, he did it to an expensive bike, or had left the shock mount with very little material. The shock mount looks just as strong as the original (Based on my expert e-speculation).

I say, "Nice job!!!" and "Well done!!" and all that. :thumb:

Patenito is inspiring everyone around here to start modding in strange and unusual ways.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jdcamb said:
Why is that? What are basing that on?

Hey if it doesn't work out I can get another front triangle for $100.
I'm basing it on no facts whatsoever. It just seems like modifying that important of a spot on a bike is a bad idea. Not to mention voiding every warrenty ever :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
BigMike said:
It just seems like modifying that important of a spot on a bike is a bad idea. Not to mention voiding every warrenty ever :D
I am not the "original" owner so no worries on that front. It however rides pretty damn awsome. I am very happy with the modifications.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Through e-speculation I think that may actually be stronger.
Since the shock mounts so much closer to the weld, there will be less stress on it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
jdcamb said:
It was hand trimmed with a professional (a Foredom) cutting tool. I wanted a 6.25" 28lb trail bike and didn't have a couple of grand laying around. I also wanted to keep my geometry/riding position the same. So with the help of BikerCad and some friends I had the tabs cut and drilled. The old shock was a 6.5" I2I with a 1.5" stroke, the new one is a 7.5" I2I with a 2" stroke. It is a 97 Super V with a 03 Jekyll swingarm on it. It has (estimated) a 68.5 headtube angle, 69.5 seatube angle.

Jus tto point something out, you did this to gain more travel, keep your Geo the same, and keep your riding position the same right???

Well, changind your shocks angle, length, and shtroke length. You have effectivley changed all of it. While the ideais pretty cool, and You Probably gained some nice benefits that you probably did not expect, i would be one to advise you to always before, during, and after everyride keep a close eye on the shock mount. Chances are Eventually its going to crack there seeing how now the shock isnt going to compress in a straight line anymore, that or it going to wear the shock out prematurely.

Update us all with how it is doing in about 3 months, and again after about 6 months. If you found something cool that works well, then great. But if you have proven why it shouldnt be done, tell us that also!!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
DirtyMike said:
Jus tto point something out, you did this to gain more travel, keep your Geo the same, and keep your riding position the same right???

Well, changind your shocks angle, length, and shtroke length. You have effectivley changed all of it. While the ideais pretty cool, and You Probably gained some nice benefits that you probably did not expect, i would be one to advise you to always before, during, and after everyride keep a close eye on the shock mount. Chances are Eventually its going to crack there seeing how now the shock isnt going to compress in a straight line anymore, that or it going to wear the shock out prematurely.

Update us all with how it is doing in about 3 months, and again after about 6 months. If you found something cool that works well, then great. But if you have proven why it shouldnt be done, tell us that also!!!
The program we used to determine where to drill the forward shock mount is not perfect but it gave us a good idea of what to shoot for. I was very specific in keep 1.) my bottom bracket height 2.) my old geometry (even in the sagged position) 3.) keep the charted rate of suspension similar. We also wanted to make sure that the new shock moved inline with the old one. That being said we may have actually improved the mount as the inline forces actually point to an area about 6mm down from the top of the mount instead of directly at the top based on our estimates. Cannondale did a lot of fiddling with the tab sizes of the years with the SuperV and my current tab size matches the 99 year model pretty much. Also the rate of failure of the Super V front triangle was very small over the life of the Super V regardless of the tab size. Also the Jekyll swingarm was used in the last incarnation of the Super V even though it used a 6.5 I2I shock for 4.75" of travel. We have modified about a half dozen or so Super V's and none of them have had any failures yet.

I think the heim mounting of the Fifth may help with any additional stresses because of side loading or additional stresses due to non engineered inline stresses. Nothing is ever perfect and not every scenario can be accounted for even in a "well engineered design" from the best manufacturers. That and for the most part our testing has been real world only. Off the record Cannondale has even stated to us that we shouldn't have any problems. They even stated that is was one of their favorite designs and pointed out to us that they even modeled their early DH bikes on the Super V platform.

The person who initially had the idea has a physics degree and used a lot of scientific data to determine the feasability of the design in both versions. Much to much data to expound on here. But cool stuff still the same. His design concepts sound strange but have been dead on. His thoughts and ideas continue defy all current design and concepts offered by most bicycle manufacturers. But he has proven to me time and time again to be right. Most of the shocks have been custom valved by Proggressive Suspension for the design and this person continues to have a close working relation with them. They are also aware of the design and have been extremely helpful in providing us with hardware and tuning.

Additionally we have had a metalurgist/engineer to review the design and he licked it so much we built him one too! Once he was onboard I decided to pull the trigger.

I will keep everyone here posted on the functionality and reliability of my ride. Good or bad. After the second ride I have not noticed any problems so far. Only time will tell. My "vibe" tell me we were onto something though. Once we dot all the I's and cross all the T's I will post more about the other details of the bike. But initially my impression is its an improvemnet of an already kick ass trail bike.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Very nice, Seems quite a bit of thought went into this. I was first of the impression it was mostly guess work. On a side note, i loved the superV, for as crazy as it looked, it was one hell of a workable frame. Kudos on the planning put into this premodification. Alot less Trail and error involved that way. Specially with having a Metalurgist checking it. Looks more now like you had most all thinkable corners covered. Still want an update after a while though, i know probably a dozen people in the area that want more travel but dont want to give up there old Super's. Let us know if this works out overall!!!