Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Jump off a bridge

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Ok everyone ... been a long ass time since I've been here ... I don't have cliffs available .... but I will use paragraphs!

I have a 2004 Epic. Got it new ... and I beat up on bikes.
I've cracked the frame on the rear chainstay twice. This is when I was weighing in around 225.

The bike has had all kinds of problems, creaking, I can feel movement in my right leg on the downstroke. I've spent a fortune replacing parts and the LBS this past year ... barely ride the damn thing, it's no fun in the present condition ... the LBS is now saying that maybe it's time to give up and move on to a new bike. WTF. He's giving up because of a creak!? After taking all my $$$ ... :banghead:

So part of me just wants to take the bike to another shop to see what they say. I understand pivots can get worn and creak, I'm just not confident with them throwing in the towel without a better investigation.

There's been talk about shifting to a single pivot full suspension. I'm weighing in at about 250 right now, and I'd have to kill myself if I get something with pedal bob.

Some people are trying to talk me into a hard tail, but I remember a few years back, they said I needed a soft-tail like the Epic to just absorb enough of the rear wheel trauma so I wouldn't be eating parts like I had been on my old hard tail.

-----------------------------------

What do you guys think? Keep trying with the Epic? Maybe try another shop?

Or succumb to the new bike tease? Any suggestions for someone who weighs in hefty but likes to toss the bike around and is addicted to speed?

Hard tail? Soft?

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Sounds like the Epic is just not for you. Find a bike that can handle your weight. If it's not fun to ride, then find something that is fun.

And lose some weight.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Get a bike more suited for your weight. I weigh 225, my XC bike weighs nearly 30# and there is not a drop of lightweight or carbon on it. Why? I'm heavy.
If you're 6'6", you're not getting a Lotus. If you're 250# you're not getting a lighweight race bike. Deal with it.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Nope. I stopped coming here when the little children and sh!t talkers started ruling the roost.

I appreciate the few helpful comments.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nope. I stopped coming here when the little children and sh!t talkers started ruling the roost.

I appreciate the few helpful comments.
A lot of people have done the same. I think RM has gone downhill lately... my ignore list is gettign longer and longer.

But as caustic as some of the comments are they are right. Basically you do need a burlier bike and parts to handle your weight and aggressive riding style. Of course if you are over weight the best thing you can do is to slim down. If you're riding a lot then you're halfway there. Start eating a healthy diet, and maybe be more aware of the amount of calories you're taking in vs. how much activity you are doing.

And don't forget that this is The Lounge. It exists so that we can be caustic asshats without ruining the rest of the forums.

Now go lose some weight fatty! :cheers:

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm basically seeking suggestions for a stronger frame+wheel combo ... maybe there's another fat ass or two around here that can point me in the right direction.

I'm pushin' a lot more than I'm comfortable with right now ... but when I was in phenomenal shape I still tipped the scales at 215-220 ... just my type of build ... so losing a few will still keep me out of the 'tiny wanker' category.

A lot of people have done the same. I think RM has gone downhill lately... my ignore list is gettign longer and longer.

But as caustic as some of the comments are they are right. Basically you do need a burlier bike and parts to handle your weight and aggressive riding style. Of course if you are over weight the best thing you can do is to slim down. If you're riding a lot then you're halfway there. Start eating a healthy diet, and maybe be more aware of the amount of calories you're taking in vs. how much activity you are doing.

And don't forget that this is The Lounge. It exists so that we can be caustic asshats without ruining the rest of the forums.

Now go lose some weight fatty! :cheers:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think single pivot bikes have some advantages. While it is not going to be the best pedaling design, particularly in the granny gear, I think for durability and service, it is the best design.

The Epic has tiny stays and pivots, and it is not the best bike for the lightweights. A bike like the Cannondale Rush or even the Superlight has beefier pivots and a big swingarm.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
I think single pivot bikes have some advantages. While it is not going to be the best pedaling design, particularly in the granny gear, I think for durability and service, it is the best design.

The Epic has tiny stays and pivots, and it is not the best bike for the lightweights. A bike like the Cannondale Rush or even the Superlight has beefier pivots and a big swingarm.
Thankfully I never go into granny gear :)

The LBS is leaning toward the rush for full susp ... but I think it's just the flavor of the year, they don't really ride anymore so have no real world experience. "Tinker rides it" ... ok great.

I have a buddy who weighs in around 165 and hates his Epic, says it's always making noise. His is 2008 though and I've had and enjoyed mine since 2004 ...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
that original post had some really nice and unwarranted language.

So you show up after 3 years and start throwing obscenities? :clapping:

real nice.

welcome back!

:plthumbsdown:
I'd call that a pretty chickensh!t move that when a bunch of people are giving him a hard time, he decides to take a swing at the girl.