Quantcast

My bike was stolen...

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I've been reading about a rash of bikes being stolen from members of the few bike forums I belong to. Well, I can't say I'm happy now that I am part of the club.

:angry: I'm so pissed off. It may have not been the newest, most expensive bike in the world, ('96 Raleigh double-squishy) but I worked hard for it.

Each apartment has an 8x8x10 storage "closet" in the basement (and laundry room) that is pretty old but fairly secure. Only problem is that you can see into them because the wooden slats are about 4" apart. So, I had put thick chains with massive locks around the hinges and the handle in case someone tried to rip apart the hinges. I had the bike hanging from the roof rafters with a tarp draped over it and a thick cable lock securing it.

So after my awesome ride on Friday, around 3pm, I put the bike away in the basement, lock it up tight and headed upstairs. Saturday, I felt like another ride and headed down about 10am. As soon as I unlock the basement and see our storage area, I know something is wrong because the two chains around the hinges were gone. There was only a couple broken (cut) links lying on the floor. Sure enough, I look inside under the tarp and the thick cable has been cut too. Bike gone. They didn't even bother with the rest of our camping gear or anything else in the storage area. Just my bike.

Since the outside door wasn't forced AND they knew to bring bolt-cutters it wasn't a quick grab and take thing. They either live in the complex or know someone in the complex. They had been staking me out... :angry: Scumbags.

The police officer who took the report said I might as well write it off. But on the positive side, I have Renter's Insurance which will cover half of the cost of it (after the deductible) and I get to shop for a new (or nice used) bike! I think I'm going to go for a hardtail this time. With discs.... *drool*

And I'm keeping it IN the apartment from now on. Lock up your bikes safe, :monkey:'s

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
That sucks...I'm sorry to hear that...I phuckin HATE bitches who steal! All my bikes are in the house...

in fact after a bike was stolen from the garage years ago, I had and alarm system installed....and one of the two motion sensors that came with the package went in the bike room...it's like if you have to steal my sh!t, it's NOT gonna be my bikes...take the tv's the dvd player, the stereo equipment...but DON'T even THINK about my bikes! Bikes develop a soul...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
my sympathies on your loss. Does your insurance policy cover what it would cost to purchase a similar bike at current prices or what your bike is worth today?

Glad there's a silver lining to it.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
My internal dialogue:

It's just a thing, no big deal...
*?%$# SCUMBAGS I HOPE THE FORK BREAKS AND PLANTS YOU ON YOUR THIEVING FACE!

breathe, breathe...

it's okay, it's only a bike... you can get another one...

And so on...

I'm going to write a letter and post it on all of the apartment doors, to see if anyone heard/saw anything. I'm also going to write to the owner of the property and see if there is that area can be secured any better. I'm going to talk to the landlady about informing everyone else of the crime.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Originally posted by LordOpie
my sympathies on your loss. Does your insurance policy cover what it would cost to purchase a similar bike at current prices or what your bike is worth today?
I need to clarify with the insurance company. They said that they have many bikes "on hand" and will replace mine with one of equal value OR I can take the cash equivalent. They asked for all receipts on parts upgraded, so I'm hoping it is what I have invested into it and not just it's current value. It's an older bike, but after what I paid for it on ebay (have the receipt) and the newer parts (pedals, saddle, wheels, chain) It's over $500.

So that will leave me with $250. Kinda sucks but it is better than nothing. I'll save a bit and try to get a good quality used hardtail. I'm not going to accept a brand new $250 bike from the insurance company because it would most likely be a Wal-Mart Mongoose.

Thanks for the positive vibes. If anyone has a nice used bike for sale, you know where to look!! :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by G-Cracker
They asked for all receipts on parts upgraded, so I'm hoping it is what I have invested into it and not just it's current value.
Many LBS's will write you a reciept for stuff you don't have a receipt for... with the understanding that you will buy the stuff from them after you get the insurance money...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by G-Cracker
Thanks for the positive vibes. If anyone has a nice used bike for sale, you know where to look!! :D
I don't have a used bike to sell, but I have receipts for expensive parts you could claim... ;) :devil: :D

Sorry to hear about your loss!

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Large suckage dude...... Bad place for a friend...in the basement and all...Glad to hear your going to keep the steeds in the apartment where they belong! Sorry to hear about it.....:(