Quantcast

My Boy & I Luvin' the Trails

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
So we went out today. it was a beautiful day. we road for a couple of hours in the trail by the pond. so now my son screams down the rollercoaster hill that gets us to the trail head. and weaves his way carefully down the rocky descent to get into the trail. i can do that one now only because i had to push myself past the fear factor so he wouldn't show me up. :huh:

once in the trail we had a great ride. we tried a couple of new paths. and hills that we've done before where he didn't make it all the way up...he did this time and was soooo pysched about it. there were spots that were muddy and it was hilarious watching him go through them and get all dirty. there's nothing like a boy and dirt to put a smile on your face.

we came to this and were both very intrigued about trying it. he climbed up it to see how high up it was.

the path starts from here...

and then goes to jump like this and you can see the other path across the way to continue on...

after careful consideration we both wimped out. but it didn't stop him from having fun on it first...

he had his first crash today...we decided to go back the way we came into the trail in order to get back home. we don't usually ride the path in that direction and it's amazing how different it is going over various rocks and roots and hills from the other direction. this one particular area after the bridge we have to walk across is a steep incline with lots of thick roots. normally we're coming in the direction where we have to climb the incline...but since we were going the opposite way we had to ride down it. i was ahead leading the way. we got down the tricky rocky hill and entered the root area. i got to the bottom and heard "help". like any mom would do i threw my bike down and ran to find him toppled over on a root pinned to the ground by his bike. i got him up and brushed him off. he was definitely teary eyed. we got over to the other side of the bridge and he got back on and started riding. i could tell he was bummed...but once we got riding again he started telling me how he almost cried but didn't cause "only babys cry".

at the end of the ride he pushed his bike up the incline out of the trail which he has never done before...thank goodness for me cause usually i'm the one pushing up both bikes...and you could tell all in all he was proud of himself for overcoming things he hadn't been able to do.

we got nice and dirty today. and had a blast.

and seeing that i'm always behind the camera...this is at the end of the ride puttin my bike home to rest for another day. :biggrin:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
You have found the enlightened path of mountain biking......

riding with kids. It brings the kid back out in all of us, no?

I have often thought that if we could get Arabs and Israelis on mountain bikes in the dirt for one day, who knows....

nice report!

glass

Chimp
May 26, 2008
Aubrey, TX
How many guys can say to their friends one day, "Come on man, I used to ride this trail with my mom!"
What you're doing for him is awesome!!!