Quantcast

My Brake Debate.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
got saints today, after my code 5 blew up 10 minutes before my race, a nice 275 dollar mistake, but after getting the saint, i like it more, enough to buy a front as well.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Only problem I had with my saints was getting the brass ferule into the hose (olive + ferule required for hose shortening). That sucker was a royal PITA to get in.

Once installed, by hand, in a parking lot, I bled them in the same parking lot, solo. They've felt like a factory bleed since. I have similar "gas pocketing" issues as socket, where certain times I feel like they're fading or the contact point changes. Happened at whiteface almost exclusively.
Does Whiteface have a significant vertical drop that's any larger than anywhere else you ride? I have a mod I intend to try that might fix the issue, but whether it's effective or not depends on whether or not my theory as to the cause of the problem is correct.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's got 2800 vertical, runs vary between 10s and 20s, depending on trail and speed. Most places hover around 1000 in this area, I think, but some are more steep than others. I've had issues at plattekill in the past, but this year, with the saints, it hasn't been bad. I do get howling near the bottom, however. Whiteface just keeps going, and sometimes the lever is too far and sometimes it's too near. Then I take the lift up and it's fine again. I may simply try giving them a better bleed, but 95% of the time it's a non-issue, and I just cope or adjust the lever.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
It's got 2800 vertical, runs vary between 10s and 20s, depending on trail and speed. Most places hover around 1000 in this area, I think, but some are more steep than others. I've had issues at plattekill in the past, but this year, with the saints, it hasn't been bad. I do get howling near the bottom, however. Whiteface just keeps going, and sometimes the lever is too far and sometimes it's too near. Then I take the lift up and it's fine again. I may simply try giving them a better bleed, but 95% of the time it's a non-issue, and I just cope or adjust the lever.
Yeah ok... I'm gonna try a small mod next time I ride and see how it goes, if it makes any improvement I'll let you know. Do you notice any other trends in what happens? I've noticed that if I ride at high speed (50+km/h) for say 30sec without touching the brakes, they always have too much throw, for example.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't really speak about too many other anomalies while riding with them...mostly because I just don't think about them, and I haven't spent too much time at mega places. I've only had them up at whiteface once, and everything else here is pretty short...not like whistler.

The things that immediately come to mind are the inconsistent feel in extended runs, sometimes they start to pump up like other brakes but if I let them cool via letting off, they get nervously close to the bar...then back to normal at the bottom or even a few seconds later.
The other is the howling that occurs at the bottom of a brake heavy run. I have no noise from them whatsoever until I'm about 100yds from the bottom...I think it's just heat and it goes away rapidly as they cool.

I'm running alligator sawblade rotors which I'm not thoroughly thrilled with. They're light and cool looking, but they have a stange "pulsing" feel to them and I'm looking for a set of shimano or avid regular round ones. This is probably the cause of my howling issue, but with the amount of ventilation the rotors have, I doubt it's causing the lever "movement" issue.

Have you experienced anything out of the ordinary?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I can't really speak about too many other anomalies while riding with them...mostly because I just don't think about them, and I haven't spent too much time at mega places. I've only had them up at whiteface once, and everything else here is pretty short...not like whistler.

The things that immediately come to mind are the inconsistent feel in extended runs, sometimes they start to pump up like other brakes but if I let them cool via letting off, they get nervously close to the bar...then back to normal at the bottom or even a few seconds later.
The other is the howling that occurs at the bottom of a brake heavy run. I have no noise from them whatsoever until I'm about 100yds from the bottom...I think it's just heat and it goes away rapidly as they cool.

I'm running alligator sawblade rotors which I'm not thoroughly thrilled with. They're light and cool looking, but they have a stange "pulsing" feel to them and I'm looking for a set of shimano or avid regular round ones. This is probably the cause of my howling issue, but with the amount of ventilation the rotors have, I doubt it's causing the lever "movement" issue.

Have you experienced anything out of the ordinary?
Interesting... my Gustavs never had any issues, just solid, predictable performance every time. I run mine at Keystone which has almost 3000 ft. vertical drop. Mine never rub either. :p

Also... the condition you describe wrt the lever getting too much throw is probably cause by out-of-true rotors pushing the pads back too far. Maybe they only go out of true after they heat up?

Ok, so the levers could be a little closer to the bar, but it doesn't bother me.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my Gustav's howled too with straight and true rotors. they had a lot of power, but with the crappy lever they come with, youd never think that.
the floating caliper is a pretty neat idea that every car has. proprietary adapters is also stupid

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I sold those brakes mostly because getting an adapter for a fork like a 40 or boxxer would have cost tons. I think I still have a boxxer adapter floating around somewhere, if anybody needs one.

I don't mean to bag on the gustavs too hard, I didn't get a ton of riding time on them, but they never modulated well for me, the lever feel was awful and had tons of play, the blade was uncomfortable, and one brake weighed almost as much as the two hope DH04s they were replacing.

I'm glad they work for you, but you don't see them too often for a reason, methinks.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I've been running XT servo wave levers and old Saint Calipers for over a year now in all kinds of conditions with almost no problems. Every now and then I just top off the fluid and they have felt great always. Last month I put on some Goodridge lines after riding a friends bike. I was skeptical at first but they did make a pretty significant difference, they are pricey though.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, since I already have a thread started about brakes, I thought I shouldn't start another one.

I have decided to go to saint brakes. I have my reasons, and I am buying them. However I don't know what rotor adapters to buy. If someone that owns them could link me up for a 180mm rear i.s. and a 160mm front i.s. that would be great.

Reason I ask is because I am confused whether the brakes come post mount calipers or i.s. calipers.

Thanks guys.

Also, soon as possible response would be great, I am trying to order them tomorrow for the blue mountain race on the 26th and 27th.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Even the rear brakes?

I am asking because it is wierd. I call shimano, they say the brakes are post mount only, and they also give me a bad suggestion for the front adapter as I explained I have a fox 40. So that makes them loose a little credibility.

So I am at the shop and I'm looking on QBP and the online site says both are 51mm i.s.

Then I look in the QBP book and the book says the saint brakes are all 74mm post mounts.

So is the QBP site wrong then? That is what I am confused about. A customer service guy was very nice and helpful, but told me I needed a post mount adapter for the front and i.s. adapter for the rear.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Used Avids for way too long like an idiot, had the older Saints for a year and they were great, tried Formulas, powerful but finicky, back on Saints and couldn't be more pleased with them. A little less lever throw would be nice but I think I've got a solution for that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't really define the numbers for sure, but both of my brakes are the standard 74mm or whatever post mount. I bought magura louise adapter in 8"; their boxxer adapter front, and PM to IS rear for my Sunday. Each adapter was $7.98: way better than shimano's $38 front and 15$ rear.

These are the 810 new saint brakes. I can take a photo if necessary, but here:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18636-115_MAGQM8-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Magura-QM-Brake-Adapters.htm
I bought the QM 8 and 9, I believe.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
^^^^^^^
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I need one for my fox 40 as well... I can get the shimano adapters for about $15 or a little less each, so I am willing to pay the price no doubt.

If anyone that runs saints on a 40 and runs a 180mm disc in the rear can help... That would be awesome.

Thanks again sandwich.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i used my avid code adapters for the shimano saints, the new ones. just take the avid calipers off, and bolt the shimano ones on. we know u have avid adapters.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I bit the bullet on the saints. Thanks guys for the help. Hopefully my 160 front avid adapter won't conflict with the 160mm front adapter.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
The are regular old post mount, nothing special. Shimano/Hayes/Avid adapters all work.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Price and availability are big ones for sure. $675 for a pair of formulas... And the $415 I am getting for saint brakes (price match chain reaction).

What if I bend a rotor at a race? Parts are probably easier to come by and get for shimano, whether it be online or in real life.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
How about the fact that the One/Mega are the hardest brakes on the market to bleed correctly? They'd be badass brakes if they ever worked.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
i take it that neither of you have had a set then. arguable performance? come on.... what other brakes have as good modulation?

i guess depends where you are, we seem to have good support here, nz.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38266
$430USD packed pair.
Modulation is about on a par with any other high end brake, they are an absolute b*tch to bleed, inconsistent lever feel, eat pads like a fat kid loves cake, spares are non existent and laughably expensive, need I go on? There are so many stories with people with the same issues...

After 18 months, mine now live in the bottom of the tool box as spares.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I have heard things like that before so I kind of stayed away from them.

Also, about the pad burning. I was thinking the same thing since they have one piston. Seems as if they would use a smaller pad, and in turn wearing out faster.

But to each their own. I am not a pro, and I just want something reliable that has a decent amount of performance to keep those race weekends fun. Hopefully I bought the right $415 ticket to being happy with some brakes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dude 415 bucks is a great deal. I forget what I paid for mine, but I think it was more. Plus I had to swap the lines since they didn't have "'merican" lever setups available, only moto.

That may have something to do with my fading issues, but I "lever bled" them so there should be no air in the line.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
What if I bend a rotor at a race? Parts are probably easier to come by and get for shimano, whether it be online or in real life.
then just stick any other rotor on

rotors are just thin metal discs. I can't remember the last time I ran the same brand rotor and caliper.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Unless there are weird issues with sizing. Not sure if Formula does it, but magura has odd sizing, hope had odd sizing, and a few others. for the most part things are standardized, but still; finding a set of ONE pads in the berkshires is NOT happening...but they've got hayes and shimano and avids.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
a buddy is running Ones with Hope rotors, I just had a demo set of R1's that I used with Hayes, Avid and Tektro rotors.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Unless there are weird issues with sizing. Not sure if Formula does it, but magura has odd sizing, hope had odd sizing, and a few others. for the most part things are standardized, but still; finding a set of ONE pads in the berkshires is NOT happening...but they've got hayes and shimano and avids.
Formula has odd sizing. They are thicker than other rotors and you will get mega lever throw with non-formula rotors and The One's/Megas. I also found 203mm formula adapters hard to get (they do exist). I have no idea why you would make 200mm and 203mm discs though... but they do.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have some older XTs on my Demo which work rather well. Like the modulation and the power. I tend to get a little bit of fade at higher altitudes, but haven't bled them in a while. Got a set of new Saints to go on my new Knolly DT build, so will be interesting to see the difference.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Formula has odd sizing. They are thicker than other rotors and you will get mega lever throw with non-formula rotors and The One's/Megas. I also found 203mm formula adapters hard to get (they do exist). I have no idea why you would make 200mm and 203mm discs though... but they do.
They've stopped doing the 200mm from what i've heard and now do the 203 as standard. The rationale behind it was that they had 20mm steps from 160-180-200. The reason why they did 203 was because there are forks that are post mount 203mm right out of the box. These forks couldn't be downsized so they had to make 203mm rotors as well.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Reviving an old thread...

I'm considering getting some new Saints for my (new to me) 08 Demo 8. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm looking for confirmation that I can run the Avid rotors with the Saint brakes. If the Saints come with centrelock rotors, I don't want to have to buy new rotors.

Can anyone confirm Avid rotor compatibility with Saint calipers?

Thanks

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Reviving an old thread...

I'm considering getting some new Saints for my (new to me) 08 Demo 8. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm looking for confirmation that I can run the Avid rotors with the Saint brakes. If the Saints come with centrelock rotors, I don't want to have to buy new rotors.

Can anyone confirm Avid rotor compatibility with Saint calipers?

Thanks
Yep, it's fine.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
why not just buy a set of juicy 7...try it out..if you feel like you dont have enough power then swap the code calipers on?

thats what im doing atm...my code levers crapped out(one side is leaking and one side is bent)..bought a new set of juicy 7 for dirt cheap and still happy

get some ebc brake pads while you are at it and you will feel like you never run out of power

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I would say the saints, after owning them for a while now, have almost equilvalent power, if not more powerful than codes. Also, I run avid rotors at the moment myself and have no problems.

You might want to try the juicy 7 thing, but realize if you buy these brakes, you probably won't have many problems (aside from maybe a crappy factory bleed), and you won't waste money initially because you bought brakes that aren't powerful enough. Although I have heard and have friends that run juicy 7 levers with code calipers. I say go saint, I might eventually change my drivetrain from sram too.