Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Macko's thread got me thinking about brakes. I've run Hayes on a few bikes and have been happy, but wanna try something else on my new urban hardtail build. I've narrowed it to Hope Mono Minis or Juicy Fives. Modulation would be a nice feature, but if they're loud that will suck.

J

JRB

I like Juicys, but never rode Hopes. I didn't love Maguras. I do have some Deore hydros on the urban bike that are pretty decent. I can't only imagine that the 4 pot XTs rock.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Avid mechs are the bomb ass diggity. Got them on my DH bike, my urban bike, and my singlespeed. One set is on its 3rd bike. They are right up there with King headsets in the "parts I don't need to worry about" category.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If you don't want loud brakes, stay far far away from Hopes. My friend had them, yes, they were correctly set up, and he tried different pads, and even still, those things were awful. You could hear him a mile away.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Shimano XT 4 pots (755's)

I have them on both bikes (hardtails) and have been VERY happy with them.

Used to ride hayes, didn't like them. Have an older set of hopes that I like as well, but I still find the XT's to be a bit better.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Echo said:
Avid mechs are the bomb ass diggity. Got them on my DH bike, my urban bike, and my singlespeed. One set is on its 3rd bike. They are right up there with King headsets in the "parts I don't need to worry about" category.
:stupid:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My hopes feel great and stop great, but I have to wear friggin earplugs if they are even a little bit dirty.

Next brakes will either be avid mechs or maguras.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Hopes (Minis, M4s, Mono M4s, and Mono Minis) have treated me well.

When properly set up, they aren't noisy at all.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I love my juicy 7's.. they are awesome.. the 5's are the same without the quick pad ajustment.. i like them so much better than Hayes

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
jacksonpt said:
care to elaborate?
For one you have to get the disc tabs faced. That will help to eliminate some of the squeel.

One thing that I would recommend if you go the Avid Mechican route is to get Shimano levers. In my experience Shimano levers feel a lot better than Avid ones do.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
maxyedor said:
Magura Louise, Hayes9s/ mags or Avid mechs. That is the only true path to enlightenment.
I run EL Caminos. They are PERFECT, however, I wouldnt want to destroy them urban riding......this is why I recommend avid mechs...cheap but good. Not out too much coin if you destroy one on a curb.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
jacksonpt said:
care to elaborate?
Install per manufacturer's specs.

Properly bed new pads. I use stock pads.

Ride.

I had one set of fronts that developed a slight squeal after months of riding. A touch of automotive anti-squeal paste on the pad/piston interface kill the squeal.

Edit: I've never had to have any disc tabs faced on the five frames that I've used Hopes on.

J

JRB

justsomeguy said:

Ride.

I had one set of fronts that developed a slight squeal after months of riding. A touch of automotive anti-squeal paste on the pad/piston interface kill the squeal.

Edit: I've never had to have any disc tabs faced on the five frames that I've used Hopes on.

Good advice on the set up and anti-squeal, but make sure it is very moderate. I just rebuilt some mechs that some dillweed covered in that crap.

Stinky - I have 5s and 7s both. I like the 5s the best. I put the 7s on Julie's bike, as the levers are a little more adjustable.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
justsomeguy said:

Ride.

My front has a slight squeel as well... I will use you advice.

Thx!

J

JRB

N8 said:
My front has a slight squeel as well... I will use you advice.

Thx!
I wonder what would happen if we used disc brake quiet on you. :think:

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
OGRipper said:
Not sure what you'll be up to but if you like bar spins and whips, Avid Mechs with a gyro/potts mod is a pretty hot set-up.
What is this? Something similar to bmx bike setups?:clue:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^Yeeeehaaww! Showing my age but I call the front cable through the stem a "Potts mod," after Steve (or was it Mike?) Potts who did it for Mike Buff and some other early freestylers by drilling out their stem bolts. Seen a bunch of people running gyros for the rear cable too...there have even been some weird proto hydraulic gyros around as well.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
Shimano XT 4 pots (755's)

I have them on both bikes (hardtails) and have been VERY happy with them.

Used to ride hayes, didn't like them. Have an older set of hopes that I like as well, but I still find the XT's to be a bit better.
:stupid:
That's always my recommendation. But picking between the hopes and the Avids, I would try the Avids. I have never tried either and would have to base my decision on the fact that I have talked to people who do have Avids and they all love them, Hopes are pricey (for me anyway) and the only ones I have experience with (other people riding in a group) were loud. Sorry I can't give some solid info based on experience.

Since the supply of XT 4 pots is dwindling I think I am going to stop recommending them and buy them all for myself. At least until Shimano starts making them again.