Quantcast

my broken seatpost won't go away

otrixl

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
I recently broke my seat post off at the frame and now the lower portion is stuck in my seat tube. does any one have any advice on how to extract it?

broken seatpost = easton ec 70 carbon-fiber
frame = aluminum

any help would be appreciated

Oliver

otrixl

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
The seat clamp is off.
9 inches of seat post are in the frame
none of the seatpost shows above the frame

have tried:
shaking
hooking the bottom of the seatpost and pulling up
drilling a hole through the seatpost (seat tube has a 1 inch slot in it) then attaching wire to the seat post and pulling up
pouring boiling water on metal to expand it and trying the above
useing a hacksaw blade to saw down the inside of the seat post.

-Oliver

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No easy solution. I got my seatpost stuck inside once, and I ended up cutting it the entire length.

Next time make sure to grease it regularly. Trust me, it took me 3 weeks to cut mine out.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
multiple cuts along the inside of the post, as far as you can reach with a hacksaw blade. 3 or 4 cuts should do it, cut deep enough to get past the actual carbon fiber but not damage the aluminum. get a screw driver and pry away. eventually the resin will crack and crumble. A needle nose plyer or something that can get in there a few inches and grip will work to get that stuff out.

I have to deal with stuff like that since car manufactureres are using more composites in the engine compartment.... honestly.. who uses composite in a high pressure power steering line?!

Good Luck!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I bet there is some kind of chemical you can pour in there that would destroy the seatpost but leave the aluminum ok.

Heavy duty paint stripper or epoxy remover?

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I bet there is some kind of chemical you can pour in there that would destroy the seatpost but leave the aluminum ok.

Heavy duty paint stripper or epoxy remover?
It would take the paint off if you go any of it on the frame, it might be an interupted seat tube too.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It would take the paint off if you go any of it on the frame, it might be an interupted seat tube too.
A bare aluminum frame without a stuck seatpost works better than a nicely painted frame with a stuck seatpost.

At least if you want a seat on it.

You can heavily mask the outside of the frame with blue painter's tape first.

otrixl

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
I have been sawing for days now (intermittently whenever I get the chance). But since i have 9 inches of post in the tube I have made almost no progress.

sooo...

I know short cuts are usually bad ideas but;

Will paint thinner even affect carbon fiber?
Will an anodized frame coating be adversely affected by the paint thinner? What the hell is an anodized coating anyways?

i could research these on my own but i would rather get back to sawing and getting carbon splinters while the info comes to me.

Thanks for all the advice thus far. Well, except to the dude that said i should turn my bike upside down and shake it.

also:

Does anybody want to buy my new easton e70 seatpost when it comes back from the warranty people at Easton? my carbon fiber component days (at least for mtb) are done. this **** isn't worth the 50 grams saved.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
you need to get a tap die set that will match the diameter of the inside of your old seat post. thread and much as you can and get a matching bolt. then you can tighten it down until you get it to spin. once that occurs then you can spin it out of there with a little wd40 and elbow grease.

otrixl

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
i thought of that too but am unwillinging to spend the money on a die set for this one use. i am a student and my new thompson seat post has pretty much broke the bank. However, I am going to try a pvc pipe with epoxy again.

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
I have been sawing for days now (intermittently whenever I get the chance). But since i have 9 inches of post in the tube I have made almost no progress.

sooo...

I know short cuts are usually bad ideas but;

Will paint thinner even affect carbon fiber?
Will an anodized frame coating be adversely affected by the paint thinner? What the hell is an anodized coating anyways?

i could research these on my own but i would rather get back to sawing and getting carbon splinters while the info comes to me.

Thanks for all the advice thus far. Well, except to the dude that said i should turn my bike upside down and shake it.

also:

Does anybody want to buy my new easton e70 seatpost when it comes back from the warranty people at Easton? my carbon fiber component days (at least for mtb) are done. this **** isn't worth the 50 grams saved.
paint thinner will not effect anything but paint.

anodizing is a powder coating process that the metal is negatively charged and the powder is positively charged and sprayed onto the metal, then it is baked at very high temps until it forms like a candy coating.
Just a sugesstion get a long screwdriver something like 15" put it in a vice with about 1" of the tip sticking up. Using a torch even one of those propane things from home depot and heat the tip and make it glow,with propane it will take a few minutes. Now with a small hammer, TAP the tip to a 90 degree bend and let it cool, it's ok to put it in water. Now slide it down the tube and use it like a dent puller in a upward hammer and that focker should come right out...

otrixl

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
Klutch and gone Firefightin' you gots a good brains behind them faces. I appreciate the info and advice from all of you but I have resolved myself to the prisoner method. Also known as sitting in my dark living room with a hacksaw blade quietly sawing the nights away.

Hell, these vermont winters are cold, long and dark so maybe i will be able to feel dirt under my feet by next spring.

Ha, gotta love the melodrama, but, riding only road gets me down.