Quantcast

My buddy's new ride

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
When my friend told me his plan was to build the burliest hardtail he could, I kinda smiled and nodded. Then this gargantuan hunk of metal and rubber showed up in his garage, and I was appalled. Can't imagine how he's gonna be able to pedal it anywhere, but it looks kinda cool. Notice how high the bottom bracket is :eek:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Believe it or not, that's a 3.0 Gazz on there, except the Monster T is so damn big, it makes the tire look like a 2.1.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
what's that tag on the handlebars for? Please don't tell me that he took it to a shop to have it built. I spy a chain breaker on the floor, if he can get that to work he should be able to do the rest of the work himself as well.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by dexterq20
Notice how high the bottom bracket is :eek:
that's, um.... kinda retarded IMHO - looks higher than my DH bike, and it won't sag out at all......oh well. Different strokes.....:)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I pray that thing is not for SB trails. Man on man.....

I'd only take it to a shop to have the main stuff done (ream and face, chase BB threads, press headset in) but otherwise the rest is pretty simple.

Nice build though, pedaling is gonna be tuff!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
SH**!
That thing is sweet! The Monster looks dope, but I'd say it makes it ride like a chopper. F'in nice bike though. Snipes is definetly one of my new frame choices, but i've got a list as long as that Monster T stanchion.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Wow, :confused:

That'd be good for.....:confused:

At least it would...:confused:

But maybe girls would think that his.....;)

A Tunnel HT ehh... Have fun!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Spunger
I pray that thing is not for SB trails. Man oh man.....
Nah, this kid is a friend from back home, up in the Bay Area (that's NorCal for all you "non-Californians"). I think he plans to ride that thing at Northstar all summer, but god damn, I have to agree, that is definitely overkill.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Kornphlake
what's that tag on the handlebars for? Please don't tell me that he took it to a shop to have it built.
He only got the headset pressed at the shop (or at least that's what he told me).

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
Why? why do people put DC forks on HTs? No good for Dirt jumping, especially monsters. If you need hardtails burly you need to sort your riding out.

Why didnt he just buy a Full Suss?

Confused

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Joe
Why? why do people put DC forks on HTs? No good for Dirt jumping, especially monsters. If you need hardtails burly you need to sort your riding out.

Confused
monsters are one thing, and i agree about that, but a tasty 100mm mr. t or even my 150mm 2001 super t work well with many hardtails.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Joe

Confused
I can understand people wanting to build up heavy duty hardtails but I think this one is to the point where it almost has the weight of a big full suspension bike, but with not rear travel....but it does look really cool.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I half love it half want to throw up blood everywhere 28 days later style.

I'd hit it... with a baseball bat and nothing would happen.

I'd ride it. cooool

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If it had normal wheels and tires, it would be fun to bomb down a wicked course on something like that. But the 3.0 tires on 24" wheels, not a big fan.

It does look cool though. Like the TankAss with Monster, looks like a cartoon bike!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by jimmydean
But the 3.0 tires on 24" wheels, not a big fan.
I don't think those are 24" wheels, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll double check, but to me they look like 26".

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
It's definitely something that I would not spend my money on, but whatever floats your boat. I would LOVE to try riding it though, it'd be insane.

doing dh runs you'd be so confused. you have advantages and disadvantages of a dh bike and same thing with a hardtail....i think i would explode.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by nixhexss
It's definitely something that I would not spend my money on, but whatever floats your boat.
I could say that it's overkill for a hardtail but when I look at the DH bike I'm building and think about the total weight, that's overkill too...so yeah, whatever floats your boat.

sguhrofst8

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Columbia, MD
wow, that thing is pretty ridiculous. no need for a bash guard with that kind of clearance. then again, no need to take it out of the garage.
--z--

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't think those are 24" wheels, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll double check, but to me they look like 26".
I didn't think a 26/3.0 would fit with that much room.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by jimmydean
I didn't think a 26/3.0 would fit with that much room.
Just checked with my friend, and they're definitely 26" hoops. Hard to believe, but the Monster T is truly a monster.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This just in... 46.4 pounds. Ouch.
Not bad considering the girth of it :D The heaviest I've had was my Stinky at 53 pounds when I tried 3.0 Kujos on Doublewides on it for an hour.