Quantcast

My Chin had a minor stroke....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Last weekend, we noticed our Japanese Chin walking funny, and having his head cocked to the side as if to say "what are you looking at?" Took him to our holistic vet in Reno, and was confirmed.... he had a minor stroke. Gave him some doggy chiropractic care and acupuncture, as well as some super O2 treatment (oxygen up his butt..... he "loved" that). He's a bit better now, and he's going to be seen again next week.

Amazing how you can get so attached to an animal. Before treatment, I was seriously thinking about putting him down, so I spent time talking to him, giving him treats, and telling him about the little blonde-haired girl he'll be seeing soon. Cried in front of the doc, too, yet his care seems to have helped. Oh, he will have to be watched, and I did get some doggy diapers for him (I must be nuts).

Now for work, and to see how he does today......

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
good to hear the 02 treatment is working for your dog and hopefully he has many good years to come left in him. my older brother had to put his dog down last week and it broke his heart :(.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Best of luck. There was a dog in my office building that was apparently also after a mild stroke, but he recovered and seemed to be pretty happy. The tilted head stayed though.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Chiropractic, acupuncture, and oxygen per rectum have about an equal chance of doing jack shit. Not to say I don't hope that your dog recovers, but it's not from those things.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Thanks for the words, gang. It was hilarious putting that diaper on him. Had to shave him down some so he didn't mess all his hind-leg fur. At least I didn't butcher that up. And AMS, the drooling comes in April, when I go to Sea Slaughter.

(I'm saying this with concern and respect, Toshi) I am open to better care for my pets, which is why I take them to the holistic vet. Since you mention the treatments given won't work, what would be a better path to take/try? I'm serious...... I didn't care to have this little guy at first, yet over time, he won me over with his "homey don't play that" attitude.

As of this typing, his head is still cocked, like SH's pic, and he does have some trouble walking. He is here, and he seems to appreciate when I pick him up and give him hugs......

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Oxygen by muzzle may help. Oxygen by butt does nothing for the brain. The butt-bone is not connected to the brain-bone, in medical parlance.

Acupuncture perhaps has a role in chronic pain. Not so in stroke.

Chiropractic has actually been shown a few times to cause strokes, via neck manipulation leading to vertebral artery dissections. The vertebral artery feeds the posterior circulation of the brain, so this is a bad thing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Chiropractic has actually been shown a few times to cause strokes, via neck manipulation leading to vertebral artery dissections. The vertebral artery feeds the posterior circulation of the brain, so this is a bad thing.
robdomanii does not approve this fact....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Hug your dog for me twice. Thanks for sharing. We all deep down love dogs who like hugs. Prayers....
I have been doing this A LOT!!! And even let him sleep in bed with us last night.

Oxygen by muzzle may help. Oxygen by butt does nothing for the brain. The butt-bone is not connected to the brain-bone, in medical parlance.

Ok, that does make sense, and I'll ask the vet during the next visit.

Your chiro comment actually opened my eyes to the reason he may have had the stroke. About a year ago, he'd chirp every morning or after every nap. Had x-rays done, and found out he has severe bone spurs growing from his neck vertebrae. So now when you said circulation, maybe, just maybe, one of those spurs did some damage to an artery. Another question for the vet......

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The bone spurs wouldn't have caused a dissection unless the artery was moved around relative to them, such as via chiropractic manipulation. Bone spurs are a feature of getting old--most every human's lumbar spine has them.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
UPDATE---

It's been a month, and his status is.....

Improvement seen. He has his appetite, and takes his herbal medicine with a dash of peanut butter or canned food. He's been able to get himself in/out of the house using the doggie door, though I did build up temporary steps with bricks, so no more need for doggie diapers. His head is still cocked to the side, yet I'm seeing some straightening in his neck. I've even been able to take him on short (1/2mile) walks, and don't have to carry him as far. He still has some pain in his neck from the bone spurs, and that will just have to be lived with.

I don't know if it's the time involved, or the medicine, or accu/chiro/super O2 treatments given, or what, however, at this time, I am happy he's still here and not at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for me......