Quantcast

My cross country bike has been sitting around a lot

mtbpaint

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
University of Connecticut
Ok i have a 2003 SPecialized Rockhopper FS. I have'nt been riding as much XC as i used to (DH and FR took over) but i still race a lot and usually place top three. I want to ride some more this season but dont know what to do. ANything i should upgrade with $100? everything working pretty fine

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
If it's working ok, don't do anything. Maybe just replace the cables and housing just before the season starts(depending on their age). Maybe the chain, too. I'd spend the 100$ on maintenance items, myself.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yep, if it's working fine, then there's no reason to upgrade just because you've got some spare cash. Have the cables/housings replaced, maybe the chain too. Perhaps have a trusted LBS do a good once over and a tuneup for ya if it's not something you are comfortable doing yourself.

If it's really been just sitting, also check the tires and brake pads (if you are running vbrakes).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you change your chain, make sure you keep the old one. Depending on long many miles are on the drivetrain a new chain may make things worse.