Quantcast

My custom homemade DJ/FR Hardtail

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
wow ... not bad!!!!! where did you get the geometry from??? that rear triangle looks great.. make sure you let us see it once its all built

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wow... I don't know much (ok, anything) about welding, gussets, etc., but I think it's cool as hell that you've made your own frame. Good luck with it.

cup.o.dirt

Chimp
Jun 21, 2005
NewJersey
anyone who builds their own parts i give them credit, even with all the things you could use, its awsome to ride something that you made yourself. Great job!

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
I posted late last night, so it was brief. The dropouts are surly "instigator" model with integrated disc tabs. I am debating whether to paint it or clear coat it. If I painted it, Id probably use flat black and tape the stainless so those parts would still be shiny. The fork will be a 99 Mr. T (5" dual crown) that I just picked up. It was roughly designed around a dmr trailstar. I tried to choose the strongest/most durable tubing from true temper (versus ht is what Endless and Dk use on their 26" street frames. Tubing is all about .8-1.1 mm thick, the ST is thinner, and the head tube was the thickest I could buy at 1.6mm. I have no idea why it came out so light (no paint?).
Geometry with the mentioned fork:
HA=69
SA=70
TT=21.75
CS=16.25
WB=40
WT=4.89lbs

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
kicknitLivE said:
I posted late last night, so it was brief. The dropouts are surly "instigator" model with integrated disc tabs. I am debating whether to paint it or clear coat it. If I painted it, Id probably use flat black and tape the stainless so those parts would still be shiny. The fork will be a 99 Mr. T (5" dual crown) that I just picked up. It was roughly designed around a dmr trailstar. I tried to choose the strongest/most durable tubing from true temper (versus ht is what Endless and Dk use on their 26" street frames. Tubing is all about .8-1.1 mm thick, the ST is thinner, and the head tube was the thickest I could buy at 1.6mm. I have no idea why it came out so light (no paint?).
Geometry with the mentioned fork:
HA=69
SA=70
TT=21.75
CS=16.25
WB=40
WT=4.89lbs

Wow that's pretty damned light for a frame that looks as strong as yours does!!

Was this a one off frame or will you build more??

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
That depends on how it rides. I went through a one year cert program at a tech college, so I got to use their gear. I spent most of my time TIG welding and building a fixture. I want to use "Absinth Bikes" but I don't know if its taken. My brother brought some back from the Czech Republic with THC added... lets just say it did me well.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nice work! Me likie!

Question: What is better for welding frames? MIG or TIG? I have a MIG welder and used to weld for a living. I'm a pretty decent welder with a MIG gun in my hand. Shoot, for that matter what's the difference between MIG and TIG. I never went to school for welding, I was taught on the jerb.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Ciaran said:
Nice work! Me likie!

Question: What is better for welding frames? MIG or TIG? I have a MIG welder and used to weld for a living. I'm a pretty decent welder with a MIG gun in my hand. Shoot, for that matter what's the difference between MIG and TIG. I never went to school for welding, I was taught on the jerb.

TIG is better for welding frames, although most steel dirtbike frames (or at least the older ones) used MIG. MIG welding has a gun connected to a machine, which feeds wire through the gun to create the weld bead. really it is a point and shoot operation, although it takes practice to get consistent. TIG, on the other hand, is completely different. you have a water cooled electric torch, through which heat flow is controlled with a foot pedal. the current flows through a tungsten electrode. you use a seperate filler wire to add material, thus creating the weld bead. TIG is much much harder than MIG and takes much more practice, but TIG can weld most metals, including steel, ss, alu, titanium etc. whereas mig is only for steel.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
MIG welding is a wire-fed process and runs too hot, provides too much weldment, and is just plain too sloppy for standard bike frames. If you dont mind making a 60lb monster like dudes cool chopper then its fine. No on in the bike industry uses MIG. TIG is a hand fed process that uses a torch with a non-consumable tungsten electrode and a foot pedal to control heat. You get a very small, precise bead with little heat imput.

Your best bet would be to buy an oxy-acetalene rig and fillet braze or make a lugged bike. Thats probably what I will do untill I can afford a TIG machine. Its about 2 grand for a good one.

Attachments