Quantcast

my dad

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
wow! my dad just about flipped his sh!t when i told him i am going to spend my 3000 on an sxtrail 1... and i just realized how damn much that really is! i mean an sx trail 1 is the lower model and you could buy a damn car with that much. dont get me wrong there is no way i am not buying it, but looking at so many bikes all day i kind of get accostomed to seeing prices like 5500$ demos and 1500$ boxxers and i think that 3000 is a good price but then my dad is like why the hell would you spend more than 400$ on a bike.

any thoughts?

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
explain the fact that this price is not too bad compared to other bikes. Explain the technology involved. He'll warm up eventually.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If it's your money he's got no business telling you what to do. If he's paying for it stop complaining.

L

luelling

My father was the one who got me into mountain biking. I've switched sections of cycling that I race several times (from road, to xc to dh and other events). He doesn't flinch though when I tell him dumped several grand into a bike becuase he knows the cost.

I would hope your old man warms up and accepts it....if he doesn't...**** him. Really...its your money and your life not his. Spend the money, love it and live it. I hope you like your new bike.

splat

Nam I am
Take him to various Bike shops , let him see the rigs, let him test ride a few different bikes. let him feel the difference , don't just say to him , its my Money I'm going to buy , explain to him how you have been shopping around , the Pros and cons of each bike , and how you came to your decision. then show him the one you picked out for him. and don't go Nuts on the one for hi, make it a Basic one that he might actually use . About $600 -$700 ( may be a little more ) and tell him this would fit his style of riding and meet his needs.

basiclly show him you are informed and it is not just a rash decision. and Tell him you'd love to take him riding some time.

SCTreeHugger

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
I use the "divide by n" justification for my expensive bike purchases. Here is the math: Ride 4x a week a year. Keep the bike for 3 years. 3000/52*4*3 = $4.80/ride.

Tell him that over the course of 3 years he will spend more money on his morning starbucks coffee, pastry, and newspaper than you will spend on your bike. It's just more up front. :)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Bicyclist said:
If it's your money he's got no business telling you what to do. If he's paying for it stop complaining.
That's true, but it's also a parent's job to teach his or her child the value of a dollar and wise spending practices. By what the poster has said, he has done his research and come to the conclusion that this is the best use for his money. If he can convey that, a father can only be so proud.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Tell him that its an alternative recreational activity....and just like how kids spend thousands on playing hockey, you would like to spend your money on a bike. Explain to him the technology and the time and testing that goes into making the bike. Then tell him would he rather have you hurt from doing a drop jump etc from buying a bike thats of a lesser quality for $400 or would he rather have you safe riding a bike that has had way more test done to it and uses more technology behind it to make it safer to ride.

just my 2 cents..