Quantcast

my day with photos...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
THE RIDE
From Loveland, east on Hwy 34 through the Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park... the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.
One-way: 30 miles, 4200 feet gain... the return trip was screaming fast :D

At a big lake in Loveland, we stopped to unload our gear and set off. Here's snowy and said lake...

About half way to Estes, we're rolling uphill about 13-14mph. The canyon was simply spectacular and I was too busy enjoying the day to snap but three photos. Only one good one tho...

We have arrived in Estes. It was a grand ride that screams, we need to be On The Road again, even before we've finished. I had brought my trunk to change into shorts and sandals while we ate and walked the town. Here's us after chaning and again enjoy the meal...

Changing and returning to The Road...

THE COP

Nah, snowy didn't get a ticket, but she was exceeding the speed limit a bit at times :D

We had been buzzed a few times and yelled at by two red necks in their Dixie truck. So when the cop came passing us -- in not a very safe manner either -- and said over the PA, "Ride single file." Well, I just had to tell him what I thought about that, so I yelled, "Pull over!"

I didn't know if he heard me or not, but snowy said, "Don't bother yelling, they can't hear you." A few miles down the canyon, he was pulled over in a safe area, so we stopped. I guess he heard me.

He was very cool, asked what was wrong and I said I was frustrated with the drivers, including him telling us to ride single file since the law had been changed recently. I was cool about it cuz there's no way the cops can know every single law. He got his book, we chatted for a while, I told him why I was in the lane -- twisty canyon, blind curves, we're doing 25-40mph anyway -- including my philosophy about why I was taking the lane...

A whole bunch more people will accidentally run you off the road than those few psychos who'll hit you on purpose for taking the lane.

The cop lowered his head, laughed, shook his head and agreed. Being a motorcyclist himself, he understood.

We parted ways with a handshake, good wishes, and him saying that he'd investigate the laws better and pass the info along to his guys.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
dhriderII said:
mmm amazing land out there, wish i lived near it... lol love the cycling tan lines by the way. :) wear it loud and proud.
hahaha, my g/f gets a lot of comments from people about her lines, so much so that she's thought about going to a bake house... which would annoy me since we get so much UV exposure already.

Serial Midget said:
Nice rack. :)

I actually remember the Big Thompson flood - people were terrified.
she is a cutie!

Serial Midget said:
OK - I admit that I didn't really read it the first time, however - you are gaddamned right to take your lane and remain visible. :thumb:
You told me to get my ass out in traffic and take the lane :thumb:

What I don't understand is why so many people have an issue with it when I'm doing the speed limit :mumble:

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
LordOpie said:
What I don't understand is why so many people have an issue with it when I'm doing the speed limit :mumble:
amen there brotha, what really gets me so pissed is when im coming off a mtn doing about 55 or so... 20 miles over the limit here in va on mtn decents, theese dumb asshats will still pass u on a double yellow line and unlike the road u have pictures of posted on here, there is no shoulder lane to go into.. :angry:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Nice looking mountains. Damn, I'm jealous.

Yeah, the tan lines are bad. I look like an Oreo cookie. My wife giggles everytime she sees me naked (and now it's not just because of my penis size, she got tired of laughing at that...)

J

JRB

Cool stuff, Opie. I really hope to get up to see you in the fall.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DBR X6 RIDER said:
It's also very encouraging to see that I'm not the only person that takes pics on the fly!:)
It is fun! I'm just surprised that my camera got such good pictures while doing a decent speed.

ALEXIS_DH said:
you are way younger than i thought.........
I do seem like a cranky old man sometimes, huh?