Quantcast

My Deity Cryptkeeper... 720's, No cans, 3 tabes

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Looks like a super fun step-up!
The frame looks pretty dialed, nice to see some more companies coming out with this kind of geometry.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
nice man! I had no idea they were making a frame...I like that head angle, great for trails. Someone not making super steep/street oriented is rad.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
"We wanted to create a true aggressive dedicated dirt jump bike with the Cryptkeeper.

Our focus started with BB height issues which all center around a frames "BB Drop". This is the center point of where the BB shell sits in line with the center point of the wheel axles. By using a 25mm BB drop, we are able to get the center of gravity lower without sacrificing maneuverability of the front end off the ground. By using super-short 15.25" chainstays, the bike is able to accelerate extremely fast out of
berms and by being balanced with a 22.25" top tube length, the rider is directly centered on the bike making its handling extremely predictable."

are they intending to make the bb lower than a MOB (12.25"bb) or Transition TOP(12.3" bb), or would it be roughly the same ?

Transition website says they do their measurements with a 470.25mm axle-crown fork.

But Blackmarket supposedly bases their geo measurements around 457mm axle-to-crown.

So, the TOP's bb is roughly 1/2" lower than the MOB even though the numbers look the same.... !?

. . . and the 2010 Specialized P1 says 312mm or 12.28"bb.... but weren't P bikes known for having lower bb's than blackmarket, or have they changed their geo...
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45797&eid=4348

All Black Market frames are designed for 1 1/8-inch integrated style headsets (Campagnolo compatible 45/45-degree with 41.8mm O.D. cups), Euro bottom brackets, 10mm rear axles, and 27.2mm seatposts. All dimensions and geometry are based around a 26-inch tire and a 457mm axle to crown fork.

TOP TUBE: 21.5 or 22-inch
CHAINSTAY: 15.5 (Riot), 15.625 (Three57)
HEAD ANGLE: 69-degrees (haha, 69)
SEAT ANGLE: 70-degrees
BB HEIGHT: 12.25-inches
BRAKE TYPE: Disc Only
GYRO TABS: Yes (Riot), No (Three57)
WEIGHT (LBS): 30.00 (Riot), 31.25 (Three57)

http://thefixbikes.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/comparing-the-2009-black-market-riot-and-357-completes/

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i wish more companies were doing a positive bottom bracket height. after coming from a dob to other frames with negetive bb's they just don't even compare. the responsivness of a high bb far outweighs the stability issues in my eyes

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
BB drop, and BB height are both completely Dependant on an axle to crown measurement for accuracy, and will both be affected by any differences in a2c.
The only thing I can see that BB drop does, is take tire and wheel dimensions out of the equation.
I like the "reach" measurement, I would rather see that than the TT length, which is greatly dependent upon seat tube angles...

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
i wish more companies were doing a positive bottom bracket height. after coming from a dob to other frames with negetive bb's they just don't even compare. the responsivness of a high bb far outweighs the stability issues in my eyes
I am extremely content with my black market bb height. I feel like higher seat tubes + lower bb's= trouble and xc hardtails. Not for me. I want high bb and short rear end. I don't like long 22.5 inch top tubes though. They seem to be less flickable in the technical areas which makes it feel like it floats around in the front. aka (the yacht feel)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You a dirt jumper or ride more street?

My old steel p.1 has an 11" high BB with a 70mm fox 36 and/or an 80mm manitou. It is by far the best jumping hardtail I've ever ridden......mostly because of that fact. Berms cry when they see me coming :D

Diety knows their shlt.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Diety knows their shlt.

This.

And Kevin, my ankle healed just in time for me to get a nasty cold, but i been diggin all day everyday anyways.
Got a deal for you. Come down and dig at my trails Sat., stay down here, and me chad will roll up to Jesses and dig all day on sunday with you.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This.

And Kevin, my ankle healed just in time for me to get a nasty cold, but i been diggin all day everyday anyways.
Got a deal for you. Come down and dig at my trails Sat., stay down here, and me chad will roll up to Jesses and dig all day on sunday with you.
The ole half and half eh?

I can probably do that. You need to return my phone calls though ;)

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I completely agree, my Betty has a little above neutral BB height right now. But man if it had like +10mm or something like that, it'd be so much more responsive. Low BB's always feel sluggish and difficult to throw around.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There are plenty of bikes out there with 13" BBs though aren't there? Seems like there used to be last time I bought a frame.

I'm definitely NOT buying another frame until I have to because I dig the exceptionally low BB on mine. I really can't imagine wanting a higher BB for mobbing huge jumps and berms. EVERY frame gets responsive at 25 mph and 6 feet above a lip :D

Sounds like diety's coming out with another frame that's probably more of what you're after anyway.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
It feels lovely on massive sets, and at ridiculously high speeds.

Kidwee, where were you this weekend? I tried hitting you up.