Quantcast

My DMR Rhythm

Oct 9, 2003
Dropped the DJ3 to 80mm :thumb:
Basic stuff + S&M Redneck stem, Avid SD7 with red Ritchey pads, Premium bash/sprocket, S&M lockons, Oddysey slic kable.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Sick bike. Personally, id go for a front brake as well, but that is just me.
If you had the money, i'd suggest a sherman jumper, but if not then dont worry about it. Oh, and no offence dude, but I think 12 pictures was a little bit on the excessive side.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Guys, It's easy to drop the forks to 80mm! Get the kit from Marz. for $40, bosh it in, and add a little extra 10mm of the tube you cut off from the top (this'll make sense once you get the kit). The forks can be adjusted down to any height in theory, it just depends on the amount of tube you use. Stock the kit allows 110 or 90mm.

Edit: Awesome bike!

Oct 9, 2003
skajumper said:
If you had the money, i'd suggest a sherman jumper, but if not then dont worry about it. Oh, and no offence dude, but I think 12 pictures was a little bit on the excessive side.
This is my budget bike, so I'll keep the Dj3, it works well, I don't need any fancy dampening, I run it at about 65 psi.

Yes I realize 12 pictures was a little excessive but sometimes two shots just isn't enough and I already had them uploaded. I'll be glad to post 12 similar with the fork at 110mm. :thumb:

scurban said:
Please PM me on how to drop my dj III to 80mm! I'll be very thankful!

Sick bike
It's really easy actually. I'm no meachanic type, I've only taken my fork apart once before, so I thought it would be rocket science. My friend, who's a mechanic descibed how he did and it took me no time to do.

- Take the fork apart.

- There are to spacers in the dampening rods. In my DJ3 one was 20mm and one was 22 mm long. I wanted to lower my fork from 110 to 80= 30mm. So the spacers should be 30mm longer (you can set it at 60 or whatever length that way). To make new spacers you use a handlebar. The part where you hold is 22.2mm diameter and fits perfectly into the fork. So I cut one spacer at 52mm and one at 50mm.

- Then you must shorten the springs. In my case 30mm. I used a grinder, to make it even and straight. It's not pretty, but that's ghetto ;) .

That's it! Reassemble and run oil at previous height.

Let me hear how it works out.

Rock'n'roll :dancing:

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah, sounds like my bike in that respect. I run a dirt jam pro, and i would get a sherman, but i honestly cant justify it when my dirt jam isnt giving me any real problems. I also run it at 65 psi.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I just dropped my dj down to 80mm today, it went pretty smooth. Now, if I could just find someone who sells DMR moto's here in the US, I'll be set.

Oct 9, 2003
scurban said:
I just dropped my dj down to 80mm today, it went pretty smooth. Now, if I could just find someone who sells DMR moto's here in the US, I'll be set.
Good to hear. Used my directions? Just get some Holy Rollers, I'm sure they're just as good. The Motos are great, but very thinwalled. You have to make sure they're pumped super hard.

Oct 9, 2003
allsk8sno said:
sounds pretty simple, you could just use some sort of pvc too i am guessing and cut it to the correct lengths??
Oh yeah, I'm sure. Using an old handlebar is just so much more ghetto. ;-)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Rainer Wolfcastle said:
Good to hear. Used my directions? Just get some Holy Rollers, I'm sure they're just as good. The Motos are great, but very thinwalled. You have to make sure they're pumped super hard.
Yeah, I did use your directions, they really helped. Thanks! Instead of Handle bars, I used the spacers from marzocchi. (I don't have a spare set of bars laying around, and my current ones can't go any shorter) so that was $10. My fork is almost brand new, so I drained the oil into a sterile container, and re-used it. (it was very clean when it came out) It wored out well though.

I'm going with K-RADs, I just ordered em tonight, I've had ok success with the 26" version, so a least I know what I'm getting witht the 24".

I have every thing I need now, just waiting for one more paycheck then I'm ordering my fall guy frame. I can't wait.

Oct 9, 2003
swerve76 said:
Whats the axle to crown height on that dj3?
I think it's 45 cm as opposed to 43 cm with a rigid Trailblade (I'm in metric country, google says 17.7165 inches vs 16.929). I'll measure it tomorrow.

Here's the bike with 110, 80 and rigid fork.

Oct 9, 2003
swerve76 said:
Ok, it's 40 cm from axle to where the stancions start. It's 48 cm from axle to where the headset meets the frame (don't know the english terms :rolleyes: )

Oct 9, 2003
allsk8sno said:
i like it with the 110 but then i am riding a 170mm fork on my kona scab...
Haha - I'm all for HTs with big forks, but this thing is just perfect with the 80. Stable, neutral in air - super!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
swerve76 said:

I just measured mine today (which is also set at 80mm) and the axel/crown height is 457.2mm or just under 18".

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
scurban said:
I just measured mine today (which is also set at 80mm) and the axel/crown height is 457.2mm or just under 18".

That is a good number. Now I just need to drop my DJ2.

Oct 9, 2003
Yeah I like the 24" as well. Very responsive, along with the cutted bars. My bunnyhops aren't as high as with the 26" though. Because of leverage I guess - ask the Mythbusters? ;)

No trust4130, I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark. Is there a similar bike in Chacago? DMR stuff is pretty common and inexpensive over here in Europe (don't know the US prices though).

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Rainer, sorry, the Chicago comment was a (lame) attempt at some humor on my part... Back in the day (!), people who ran their bars forward like that were refered to running their bars "Chicago Style". Cool bike regardless man.

I'm surprized you can't bunnyhop higher with the 24's versus the 26's... Maybe just new to the bike and don't have the pull perfected yet?

Cheers

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
allsk8sno said:
the BB seems high on that thing odd...i like it with the 110 but then i am riding a 170mm fork on my kona scab...
One of the guys at our shop used to run a 170mm DC fork on his Scab. That is until the HT snapped completely off and he stacked super hard on a trail. I'd pull that fork off ASAP and get back within the specified range of 80-110mm.