Quantcast

My DOC is now barspinable

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well, i figured it was time to learn some barspins...i can sorta get them around now :think:...

I dunno just finished the routing all that is left is the bleeding, i guess noone can make fun of me for riding a overgrown cruiser...:dancing:

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
careful, the cable wears out real fast when you do that. I went through it myself. I will walk you through the process.

1) I want to barspin. I run the front hose through the steer tube.
2) Hose wears out. I figure it's stupid to have a front brake on a bike I'm barspinning on so I take it off.
3) I figure it's stupid to barspin on a mtb after taking the front brake off and on 500 times and get a bmx.
4) Gyros make the brake feel like crap so I take the gyro off.
5) Didn't cut cable long enough to spin... oh well, I sucked too much to barspin in any real trick anyway.

there you have it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DIRTWRKS said:
Looks cool,
What parts/ kit did you use for that set up ?
On the front
hope m4 brake
extra long cable
bmx stem cap and bolt (hollow so you can run the cable)
PIKE Race fork
Zip Ties

Back
Just long brake and derailure cable...zip tied

all said and done, you can get about 2 full rotations out of the setup

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
sir chomps...so the cable wears quickly? Did you actually go through it? Hope cables are pretty tough in comparison to say hayes (they seem more apt to cracking)...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
didn't go through it, but there was a massive kink where it went into the star nut, and when I took it off, it was worn enough to sketch me out. When the fork compresses, the cable slides around in the starnut.

Just check it every so often.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
sama1ter said:
just out of curiosity, where could i find a similar ridemonkey sticker?
About 2 years ago, myself and a bunch of guys got picked to do the red bull flugtag in NYC (fvcking awesome time by the way) i was a newish monkey back then and one of the monkey admins or something, PM'ed me and asked if i could sticker up the craft we made...so she sent me a boatload of stickers...they were cool ash sh1t. I think we need more...how dope would a vinyl green monkey sticker be (you know the kind where you just have the outline of the monkey no fill sticker :drool: ...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Palilla said:
Looks good man. How was it bleeding the hopes?
that is the part i left for tonight...i just did the routing...:mumble:

man get your ass up to pgh tonight, lets hit this thing tomorrow.

if you dont: :stosh:

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
manhattanprjkt83 said:
that is the part i left for tonight...i just did the routing...:mumble:

man get your ass up to pgh tonight, lets hit this thing tomorrow.

if you dont: :stosh:
Yeah that's gonna be rough, sometimes hopes seem to bleed very easy, sometimes not (as you know).

How much clearance do you have between the hydro line and the hole in the stem cap? The setup looks clean.:thumb:

Can't this weekend though, some other stuff came up...

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
you don't need to run the front brake cable through the stem to barspin. it's all in the way you run the cable... i've had mine setup this way (squint at the pic... i can get a better shot if anyone would like) and i can spin 540 degrees around with no problem.

the only real issue i can think of is you can only spin one way and back... and you have to remember which way that is (difficult for one as retarded as i :D)

great looking setup though!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Palilla said:
Yeah that's gonna be rough, sometimes hopes seem to bleed very easy, sometimes not (as you know).

How much clearance do you have between the hydro line and the hole in the stem cap? The setup looks clean.:thumb:

Can't this weekend though, some other stuff came up...

Yeah im "hoping" (no pun intended) that i dont have a night like we did bleeding that mf'er...I have to install new brakes on the chameleon tonight if they come in ... Juicy Carbons :drool:

I have NO clearance, i had to put a derailure cable through the hydro and use it as a guide to run it down through, the pull the hydro through the bottome and pull out the derailure cable.

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
If you've got a little room left over between the hydro cable and the hole in the stem cap maybe try to wrap one of those small carbon frame patches around the hose at the cap to minimize the wear on the cable...just a thought.

So you found the carbon juicy's huh? nice :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Palilla said:
If you've got a little room left over between the hydro cable and the hole in the stem cap maybe try to wrap one of those small carbon frame patches around the hose at the cap to minimize the wear on the cable...just a thought.

So you found the carbon juicy's huh? nice :thumb:
I HAVE NO ROOM...hahha practicaly had to lube up the cable just to get it through the bolt.

I got to the shop in westview and a guy from KHS of all places was looking for me he was like "hey dude we got ur brakes" since they were so $$$ I qualified for some shipping promo so they sent them overnight for free:thumb: ...im hoping they went out yesterday not today...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
mobius said:
Don't run a front brake!

Get a bmx bike!

I ride everything with this, including alot of techy type north shore stuff, i am really only just getting into the DJ/Park scene. I need a front brake, if the cable holds up this set up will be nasty. I mean why not run a front brake if it will interfere with nothing :confused:

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I need a front brake, if the cable holds up this set up will be nasty. I mean why not run a front brake if it will interfere with nothing :confused:
Why not a 'mechanical' front brake ?
Still better than No frontbrake and it would solve the hydro problems.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I've found spinning with hydros to be a PITA. Hoses get ripped out and pinched regularly. They just don't like the twisting/rubbing...The Hopes take a twisting better than the Hayes lines, but I've found Goodridge to be better.

I like discs as well, and run a front brake too. I am riding in a city of 12 million Korean drivers, too, so I like to stop when I need too, because they sure don't when they're driving...
It is my park/city ride, but I ride everything on it and like to keep it versatile. I switched her up with some BB7 mech discs. Had to customise a few parts together to get it to work properly, but it works awesome now! Gyro causes no play whatsoever. Also ran a rollamajig to keep my line low profile.

Here's a close up pic, click the 666 in my sig for a side view.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Some goodridge hoses might be a good idea? They will not kink or wear through the section running through the stem?