Quantcast

My doctor says I have high cholesterol,

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
WTF is that? My BP is mad low and my systolic and diastolic are in crazy shape but my Cholesterol is high. I feel like that guy on that bike in that commercial but for real.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
The Toninator said:
WTF is that? My BP is mad low and my systolic and diastolic are in crazy shape but my Cholesterol is high. I feel like that guy on that bike in that commercial but for real.
Meh. I know a lot of people who are in great shape and have high cholesterol. Genetics there....if nobody in your family has cardiopulmonary problems, then it's not a huge concern (obviously keep it in check, but don't sweat yourself to death over it).

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Yeah, I do too, very healthy otherwise, but high cholesterol. Drink a glass or two of red wine every night, it has antioxidants in it that help to lower the cholesterol. That, and start eating more veggies like salads and crap for lunches.

Sucks, but it's worth it

btw, what was yours? Mine was 278

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
robdamanii said:
Meh. I know a lot of people who are in great shape and have high cholesterol. Genetics there....if nobody in your family has cardiopulmonary problems, then it's not a huge concern (obviously keep it in check, but don't sweat yourself to death over it).
as far as i know i'm the first. According to him though i have to quit eating the chicken fried bacon for breakfest.
that sucks :(

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Cooter Brown said:
Yeah, I do too, very healthy otherwise, but high cholesterol. Drink a glass or two of red wine every night, it has antioxidants in it that help to lower the cholesterol. That, and start eating more veggies like salads and crap for lunches.

Sucks, but it's worth it

btw, what was yours? Mine was 278
border line 212.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
The Toninator said:
as far as i know i'm the first. According to him though i have to quit eating the chicken fried bacon for breakfest.
that sucks :(
Bah. Change PART of your diet if you're that borderline. Don't completely change your diet, but bring some of it into control. Some people can actually get away with eating crap and being in good shape, some people are genetically disposed to a higher cholesterol.

Has it gone up steadly since prior physicals?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
The Toninator said:
i dont think i've ever had it checked. but i'm sure it was WAY higher than it is now. i've tired to pull my diet in line over the past year or so.
If it's never been checked, then I'd take this as a baseline. Have it checked in 6 months and compare.

If the physician has no baseline results, then how can he consider this "high" for you? It may very well be your genetic normal.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
man, 212 is not high. mine without drugs is 298
the only problem with that is my body doesnt like the drugs. ive been on lipitor and it was killing my liver and was on lovastatin or something like that and it gives me chest cramps
my mom just got hers checked and it was 120 and my dad's is around 180

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
robdamanii said:
If it's never been checked, then I'd take this as a baseline. Have it checked in 6 months and compare.

If the physician has no baseline results, then how can he consider this "high" for you? It may very well be your genetic normal.
uh, that's why we have things called "normative data". humans as a species are quite similar. and if your genetics predispose you to high "normal" cholesterol, that's still high cholesterol.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Toshi said:
uh, that's why we have things called "normative data". humans as a species are quite similar. and if your genetics predispose you to high "normal" cholesterol, that's still high cholesterol.
Still, even with normative data, each person DOES have a variation. My blood pressure has been generally above normal ALL my life, and isn't an issue.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
fair enough, but that's why said normative data will either be presented as mean +/- standard deviation or as range, say 10th and 90th percentiles... chances are that you're abnormal if you're a 1st percentile outlier :D

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Toshi said:
fair enough, but that's why said normative data will either be presented as mean +/- standard deviation or as range, say 10th and 90th percentiles... chances are that you're abnormal if you're a 1st percentile outlier :D
LOL, I don't think anyone is "normal" in all ways at all. Particularly on this board.

But hell, borderling high cholesterol....there are more important things to worry about in life than that.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Sorry to hear that Ton. Crazy how the body works sometimes....my dad had quintuple bypass 1-1/2 years ago as well as hear attack on the operating table. He had only been retired from the Air National Guard for a year, and only been grounded from flying F-16's a few years prior to that...so he's been going thru the paces of physicals and making sure he kept himself healthy...inparticularly so he could still fly at the age of 55. He had 90-95% blockage in 4 of the arteries and 50-60% in the fifth...that crap doesn't just happen overnight!

Good luck getting it under control!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Velocity Girl said:
Sorry to hear that Ton. Crazy how the body works sometimes....my dad had quintuple bypass 1-1/2 years ago as well as hear attack on the operating table. He had only been retired from the Air National Guard for a year, and only been grounded from flying F-16's a few years prior to that...so he's been going thru the paces of physicals and making sure he kept himself healthy...inparticularly so he could still fly at the age of 55. He had 90-95% blockage in 4 of the arteries and 50-60% in the fifth...that crap doesn't just happen overnight!

Good luck getting it under control!
Holycow that's a lot of blockage. IT's not crazy out of control but it's something i need to watch. weird mostly cuz i can cycle off most other conditions.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
changing your diet does help a lot, but for the most part its in your genes. so dont blame it on yourself, blame it on your parents!!!!!! ;)

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
How bad do you want it?
http://www.homecolonics.com/stuffart1.htm
(from 'invisibleman')

I got the high cholesterol warning a couple years back and switched my breakfasts from ham or bacon and egg sandwiches grilled in plugra to steel cut oatmeal with blueberries, soymilk, brown sugar and cinnamon. Not as tasty but I'm down to 193 now and the triglycerides look a lot better. It's a combo of bad genes and diet.
The only people in my family that have a problem are those that eat too well or really bad.
I also started eating more plants than animals and more fish as meat. Cinnamon and blueberries are supposed to be as effective as the statin drugs. I'm staying away from Lipitor. Anything that requires a monthly check of your liver can't be good.
Red wine seems to help a bit too.

....sure do miss those breakfast sandwiches though...