Quantcast

My drivetrain is really messed up

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
TOday at school, when I rode my redline 360 the drivetrain slipped. When I pedaled forward a 1/4 turn of the chainring felt like pedaling backwards and didn't transfer any power to the rear wheel. The more I rode the worse it got.
When I rode home, I went down a hill and I was able to spin the chain ring about 20 times with out transfering the power to the rear wheel. There are no missing teeth in the chainring or freewheel. I think the freewheel is messed up. Can I have some help?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
your freewheel could either be totally dry, and concequently rusted slightly, preventing the pawls from grabbing occationally. Or, too much grease and keeping the pawls from getting to the teeth. just replace it...

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
sounds like the clutch is slipping. take it to a shop and get the clutch replace, not the whole freewheel, those are too much money...

just replace the freewheel, its cheap and easy. you won't have to worry about it... unless its a freehub instead of a freewheel... then you could be spending more money and be looking in to a new hub/wheel.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
mtnbrider said:
Today, it barely transfered any power to the rear. WHat happened in it?
Just replace it!!! It shouldnt be that expensive. It happens sometimes, it could happen to any bike, just take care of your bikes.