Quantcast

My early birthday present....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well we got her about 3 days ago and she's great. Her name is Maya and she's 10 weeks old. She's pretty big for 10 weeks and a handfull but I'm having a lot fo fun with her. I find myself rushing to get done at work so I can get off early just to get home...haven't done that in a long time.

It's been a while since I had a dog....about 15 years. I have only had cats so it's a nice change. Now if I can just stop her from chewing everything in site and pissing everywhere:biggrin:...I need to find a good dog behaviour book and brush up. I have tons of cat knowledge but I'm lacking in the dog department...D

I bought her a dog bed but she likes the cats bed instead...so far no violence has occurred but lots of hissing!

Most of the day she sleeps a lot.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Awesome!!!

We had some of the same issues when we got our puppy - picked up a few books and started training right away... we have a very well behaved 6month old puppy.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dog are great.

Except
When they get excited about something and pee a little in the house.
When you have house guests arriving late at night and they go into PROTECT mode and the baby is sleeping.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Nice present! Was she a surprise?

Awesome pup.
Don't worry, Labs usually grow out of the chewing stage at the 4 year mark.:biggrin:
Our mostly-lab-mutt never really chewed but she is now 4 & still just as much of a pup.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Cute. We "crate" trained our dogs when they were pups. In this case the crate was the kennel that they slept in at night. A dog will theoretically not urinate where it has to sleep. If you get a kennel that would be appropriate for her adult size you'll need to figure out a way to make the interior smaller while she's smaller. I believe we used a box that took up about 1/2 the interior space for ours. In the morning take the dog out of the kennel and straight outside. Never allow it a chance to walk around the house before this until it gets into the routine of going out. Keep her in her kennel when no one is home. Take her out every hour or so. Good luck.

Also, Happy Birthday.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Cute. We "crate" trained our dogs when they were pups. In this case the crate was the kennel that they slept in at night. A dog will theoretically not urinate where it has to sleep. If you get a kennel that would be appropriate for her adult size you'll need to figure out a way to make the interior smaller while she's smaller. I believe we used a box that took up about 1/2 the interior space for ours. In the morning take the dog out of the kennel and straight outside. Never allow it a chance to walk around the house before this until it gets into the routine of going out. Keep her in her kennel when no one is home. Take her out every hour or so. Good luck.

Also, Happy Birthday.
We did the same thing - they now sell crates with movable barriers. you buy it the size of the adult dog, and just put in the barrier at teh appropriate size for the puppy. as he/she grows - you move the barrier...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Yeah we bought a crate 2 days ago....she whines a lot when she's in it at first but settles after about 15 minutes. The book I got suggested adding an article of clothing to help make her more comfortable...so far it seems to be helping.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
not what I was thinking when I read the title of the thread... but still warm and fuzzy!

nice pooch! looks like a sweetheart!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I already have to many pics...lol....today I'm going to get her woman bits removed :(
well now my wife doesn't want her to get spayed :plthumbsdown:..I really do not want to deal with 2 females at once during their time of the month :dead: