Quantcast

my east coast trail 'slaya'

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thought i would post this up since i just took a bunch rig photos on a ride today...

Here in the pittsbrugh area we ride a ton of stuff, everything from buff flowy singletrack to freeride style xc trails with rock lines that make you cry...I have been riding a hardtail forever and finally went to a fully in hopes i can carry a bit more speed through sections. I wanted something i could travel with and be happy almost anywhere so i ended up with an old stock heckler (i am not much into the new one, to big for my needs). I love this bike...enjoy

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Thats a pretty slick am build you have goin on there.

OT: I'll be up in the burgh sometime soon to check out a college, can you recommend me some riding?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah no doubt let either brungeman or I know when you are coming we can see what is going on...and hook you up with some stuff...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Beautiful bike. The old Heckler has been a wish of mine for a long time. Sadly I can't let go of my Karate Monkey and I don't have room for anything else at the house.

Beautiful though, must be fun to ride. Sub 30 is pretty awesome as well.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
thanks everyone, yeah i never really got into the trail bike fullys but i figured it was time.

I didnt want something that was so big it would hurt me on the fast open stuff. As for the weight it is an estimate, my scale is one i have to hold so it fluctuates when i am doing so but that is as close as i could get it.

I really need to drop some weight on this bike though can anyone think of major weight savings i could do?

Here are the things i plan on swapping:

Saddle - its cromo right now ti on the way
Tires - they are full knobby the front is wire, for summer ill be running superlight high volume tires
Tubes - might actually run superlight tubes on this bike to help

Anything else? I would Love to get it in the 27lb range

_Bill

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I had a Heckler of that vintage and loved it. Your build is awesome. I wouldn't worry about the weight myself and just ride the tar out of it.

Might want to reconsider the rear derailleur cable routing.

I think you are right on with the areas to lose weight, but think it will be hard to get to 27 without swapping forks or something. I am not questioning your fork choice but that would be one place to lose some weight as 36s are the lightest 130mm travel fork, but are pretty light for a 160mm travel fork

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Where I am from you can open a beer with anything as we used to have only bottles and no twister nor cans. My brother used to say if you can't open a beer with a hot dog you are not thirsty :busted: So no frame required for beer opening here.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I had a Heckler of that vintage and loved it. Your build is awesome. I wouldn't worry about the weight myself and just ride the tar out of it.

Might want to reconsider the rear derailleur cable routing.
If i can do something about the weight i am going to, i do some pretty long epics and at the end of the day you feel it. Either way tar will be ridden out of this bike...I have been swapping components forever at this point, i am finally in a good spot to shut up and ride.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think you are right on with the areas to lose weight, but think it will be hard to get to 27 without swapping forks or something. I am not questioning your fork choice but that would be one place to lose some weight as 36s are the lightest 130mm travel fork, but are pretty light for a 160mm travel fork
Yeah i have wrestled with the fork choice for a while but that thing is damn light i believe the float RLC is only a pound lighter, the 20mm is so nice when it gets nasty, i ride it pretty slammed unless it gets real nasty...

27 is hard without getting dumb on component choices...speedholes anyone?:dead:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Dura-Ace. Road. It's like a different language.

Anyhoo, here's my 2005 Heckler:

DHX-5 coil
Pike 454 coil
Hone cranks/bb
MRP LRP
636 pedals
X-9 drivetain
BB7's/FR5 levers
Thomson post
WTB saddle
Thomson stem
Sunline V-two bars
Sunline logo grips
Sun Ditchwitch/DMR Revolver wheels
Hutchinson Barracuda tires

Guess it's around 32#'s, but never weighed it. Was a lot closer to 40 after the above ride. I'd love to drop a pound or so, and I know I can do better on the wheels.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Dura-Ace. Road. It's like a different language.

Anyhoo, here's my 2005 Heckler:

DHX-5 coil
Pike 454 coil
Hone cranks/bb
MRP LRP
636 pedals
X-9 drivetain
BB7's/FR5 levers
Thomson post
WTB saddle
Thomson stem
Sunline V-two bars
Sunline logo grips
Sun Ditchwitch/DMR Revolver wheels
Hutchinson Barracuda tires

Guess it's around 32#'s, but never weighed it. Was a lot closer to 40 after the above ride. I'd love to drop a pound or so, and I know I can do better on the wheels.

I'd say there is a ton of room for a weight drop on the bad boy...I really do love the heckler its like you ride 'on top' of the bike rather than in it which is a big plus for me. I dont like the floating travel bikes that much...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yeah i have wrestled with the fork choice for a while but that thing is damn light i believe the float RLC is only a pound lighter, the 20mm is so nice when it gets nasty, i ride it pretty slammed unless it gets real nasty...

27 is hard without getting dumb on component choices...speedholes anyone?:dead:
I was going to suggest the fork as a weight saver too. Perhaps tubeless wheels? Either way, sub 30 for that bike is great!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think i am going to go with some superlight tubes i dont get a ton of flats anyway we will see how they go, the ti seat is a must at this point as well. I know sub 30 is good but i am going to spend a ton of saddle time on this bike, i want it as light as possible.

The bottlerocket is my freeride rig which is set up for beating up and going downhill, not worries it isnt leaving this replaced the evil sovereign was riding.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
How about lighter wheels? XTR hubs (can get a 20mm now), with Stan's Arches or Flows and DT Revs or Sapim CX Ray will get you a pretty light and nice wheelset. Then you can run your fave tires tubeless to save a bit more weight.

My heckler was about 29.5lbs with x.9 build, vanilla 32 RLC, float R, king hubs, mavic 819 rims, CX-Rays, thomson etc. Would have taken quite a bit more to get it to 27.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The wheels are actually pretty damn light, the front hub i almost positive the king hub is as light or lighter than the xtr.

The rear dt hugi 240 is crazy light to...The wheelset was just built (it is the only 'new' part on the bike...I have been riding it for a bit