Quantcast

My eating habits. Good or Bad?

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
I think I have strange eating habits or the times that I eat are not normal. Here is a normal day's eating for me.

Wake up around 7 or 8.
Work until Noon then eat one bowl of cereal. Usually Raisin Bran or Frosted Mini Wheats.
Work until 2:30/3:300.
Eat a PBJ or chicken sandwitch with a 16 oz. of milk.
Work until 5 or 6 then go for a ride. Usually 7-9 miles on trails 3 days a week.
Come home, shower.
Have a reasonable dinner with the family.
Do whatever until around 11:00 then eat a fruit snack.
Watch TV until around 1:00 AM and hit the ZZZZZ's

I work from home so I do not have a commute of any kind. On Saturday morning I usually do a 2+ hour trail ride. My eating habbits on the weekend are a little different but I am not a big eater.

I started MBT'ing to get back in shape. I am 6'2'' and come in at 210. In the last 2 months since I started I have thinned a lot but also gotten more muscle so my weight has not change much. It has been steady at 210 where as before it used to go up to 215 then back down to 210 pretty frequently.

I would like to get down to 195 by my 35th b-day in November but I think I need to start some additional cardo activity. Running is out of the question for me. Had back surgery a few years ago so I stay away from the pounding of running.

Any eating or training suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I didn't read the rest of the post because I saw one glaring mistake. Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day. It should be your biggest and should be eaten. There is many reasons for this one of the biggest being is it starts you metabolism running. By starting with a large meal in the morning you body has all day to burn the calories making it more effecient.

EAT BREAKFAST

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Thank god you found an article. There are many reasons why but it is difficult to explain in a post. Start slowly. If it has been years since you have eaten breakfast at a proper time you body may react poorly for the first little bit.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by maelstrom
If it has been years since you have eaten breakfast at a proper time you body may react poorly for the first little bit.
Good question. How do you adapt to eating breakfast when you're not used to it? I just can't seem to stomach solid food in the morning. A protein shake is about the most I can handle. If I try to eat solid food, I just gag and heave. :confused: :eek:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Start with a protein shake. When mixed with milk (soy or otherwise) and a fruit you will receive lots of calories to suffice for a meal. When you stomach is used to that throw in a granola bar. Your body will adapt and someday you will be eating full sized breakfasts.

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
Would it be bad to eat a Power Bar and a class of milk for breakfast? That is something I can grab and run with.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Make the shake and night and run out the door. Or buy protein bars. Those 'energy' bars lack protein and if any meal needs to be complete with protein it is breakfast.

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
Can you recommend a good protein bar? If not a specific bar then how much protein do you suggest. I would prefer to have a solid in me as opposed to just liquid.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
There are so many. Meso-Tech is one of the ones that tastes best but costs a bit. You should go to a couple of local health food stores and try a few out. Make sure they have around 30g protein. If you get a lean one (very little calories) you should eat something else with it. Once you find one ask the owners / sales rep if they discount buying boxes at a time. You can usually save 25% per bar this way.

I could never choke down a protein bar first thing in the am - YUCK. The thing about protein bars are you need lots of water to get them down. I can't really describe it - you just have to try it.

If you can make a shake in the am, you might like that better, I know I DO!

btw, it sounds like you are not getting enough calories in the day.

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
About not getting enough calories, I was thinking the same but I am never run down or very tired. In fact, I am alway so high after a long ride I have a little trouble sleeping that night. Nothing major but I get really wound up sometimes about riding.

Also, I always seem to have enough energy on my rides. I have never bonked before.

If I still have energy do you still think I might not be getting enough calories?

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Are you only getting 6-7hrs of sleep??? you need more at least 8. I uesed to do 6 hrs in shcool i did it for 2 weeks and then one day my whole body acked(sp) real bad and i slept for 14 hrs. Sleep is super good stuff. thats what i'm going to do now. uuummmm can't wait!