Quantcast

My Evil Soverign rides again (lots of pics)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
After a one year hiatus, I decided to get off my tush and fix my bike. A while back I stupidly and quite surprisingly stripped one of the disc brake bolt threads on my 3 month old Minute 1 fork (incidentally that fork is for sale here, $80, great if you're running V-brakes no front at all) Soon after that, my rear brake line got a hole in it, work got busy & I just hung it up. Hasn't budged since today.

So this morning, I pulled it out, bled the brakes and changed one of the lines... checked the bolts and turned a few spokes & it was ready to ride, good as new. Well, it's pretty new anyway since I haven't spent much time on it since I got it.

I took it out for a quick spin around the block which turned into an hour long ride. I brought it back into the house, had a snack & grabbed the camera to take a couple of pics. 1 hour later, I'd taken a few pictures and ridden several miles! I'm really enjoying this bike. It feels great to be back on a mountain bike again.

I went a little crazy with the photos. I wasn't getting quite the picture I wanted, so I kept changing locations. It's fun to see the progression as I move the different spots. Enjoy the photos.

In the Park

I like this nice red wall

Powdercoat sparkling in the sunlight

Like this one... wanted more separation between the bike & the wall, but had nothing to stand the bike against. Love the industrial look :)

Mmm... blue

Btw, if you're wondering what the bright blue building is, here's your clue :)

If you're in Bay Area see me out & about, feel free to stop me to say hello.

Thanks again to everyone at Evil Bikes that made this possible :)

- m

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
.............. A while back I stupidly and quite surprisingly stripped one of the disc brake bolt threads on my 3 month old Minute 1 fork ...............

- m
Ive done that, Manitou has some bolts for hayes brakes just for there post mount 6in systems. there just a bit longer so they get deeper into the fork without bottoming out. At the time Manitou was nice enough to hook me up with a new lower for shipping cost.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ive done that, Manitou has some bolts for hayes brakes just for there post mount 6in systems. there just a bit longer so they get deeper into the fork without bottoming out. At the time Manitou was nice enough to hook me up with a new lower for shipping cost.
Thanks for the info Mike. When it happened, I thought for a minute it might be that the bolts are too long... but they were the stock bolts & I wondered why manitou would design the threads shorter than the stock bolts. Go figure. I'm all set now. Hopefully someone in need of a fork will take it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nice! I'm rebuilding mine, too. (rigid again!) Unfortunately, it's gonna have to wait until I'm done moving.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice! I'm rebuilding mine, too. (rigid again!) Unfortunately, it's gonna have to wait until I'm done moving.
Thanks. I'd love to see pics when you're all done with it.

And for good measure, the obligatory: STEEL IS REAL ;)

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I got one back in march and used parts from my old bighit, biggest disgrace to that nice of a bike. Over the past months i've been changing parts on it, such a fun bike. Works great for pretty much everything, XC, DS, DJing, park.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I got one back in march and used parts from my old bighit, biggest disgrace to that nice of a bike. Over the past months i've been changing parts on it, such a fun bike. Works great for pretty much everything, XC, DS, DJing, park.
cool... got any pics?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thanks for the info Mike. When it happened, I thought for a minute it might be that the bolts are too long... but they were the stock bolts & I wondered why manitou would design the threads shorter than the stock bolts. Go figure. I'm all set now. Hopefully someone in need of a fork will take it.
It actually has to do with the softness of the lowers, in comparisio to the normal adapter used when mounting disc brakes, you dont need as long of a bolt when mounting it to a cromo brake mount, but when mout=nting in a nice soft aluminum, well you know the rest!!!

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Okay heres mine, I couldn't get pictures earlier because I couldn't find the camera and I was busy changing the cranks/derailleur.

Heres the frame

In I believe March

My first build on it

Rockin the 24" doublewide on the back and super heavy stupid components, I think it weighed 38lbs or something. I used the parts from my old bighit to build it up (bought a different fork though).

Mmmm gazzaloddi

Over the past year I got a set of singletrack rims and new single-ply tires. Then an e-13 (probably going to be an LG1 soon). Still trying to decide what to do about the brakes (a hayes mag and HFX-9), possibly going to put some strokers on them. For christmas I got the XT cranks which drop about a pound, and switched from SRAM to Shimano (I might be one of the few people who prefers Shimano). Also the seat is a piece, I got it for $.99 on ebay so it really can't be argued with.

Riding the old version

And hucking the old bike, Sketch 6 footers to nice landings are pretty gnar

Sorry for any big pictures

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i loved my sovereign, just had to sell it so i could get my heckler though...

my riding style was increasingly fully so i made the plunge im sure ill want the evil back at some point, great pics dump.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My do it all sovereign in street mode. Decided to snap a few pictures before it goes back to XC mode tonight.

(click for full size photos)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Re-post of mine in action upcountry...since rebuilt with a sus fork...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've seen that girl in action too. Shredder! Did you fix the freehub body yet?
Not yet - I found my other wheels - I put them in the guest room under the bed :) Going to swap them out tomorrow and tear the hub apart.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's sweet.

If I had a silver bike I would lose the ability to stop myself from ordering CK mango-ano headset, hubs, and BB cups...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

How I last had mine set up-dropped the bashguard, new LX cranks, added the sus fork back, new stem and bars...

She was refused passage on the flight home and is languishing in a case in Africa, waiting to be shipped to DC in a friend's freight shipment. Won't see her till Sept when I arrive in DC for a few weeks; hope to get some fall riding in at Fountainhead et al in the mid-atlantic, maybe down to Charlottesville for a few days.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's a fine specimen of Evil Greensnake, but it ain't too goddamn boocoo.