My Fatbike build....The Surly Moonlander

gonefirefightin

free wieners

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's awesome. I know you can probably afford it, but an older alloy v10 would probably work too, and be cheaper.

I'm going to measure the width of my monster when I get home...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
are you going the dorito route? One of the postings said they reduced the travel to six inches in the front, and 8 inches in the rear. I think you'd have to do that or get drop crowns made to extend the a2c further.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
got these bad boys in today for the CO2 solution for these fat tires. they are originally made for the moto industry but the inflator is presta and shrader compatible. I threw in a 16 gram for size comparison

I was able to put 6-10 lbs in a full flat about 5 times before one cylinder ran out. I was able to inflate from 6-10 to 20-25 psi about 3 times with one cylinder.

considering it takes a floor pump 5 minutes to do the same and the only mini pump i could find the did a decent job was the topeak morph.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Got some goodies in today,

The front fender, the frame pack my boots and the pedals (mallet 2)

Still waiting on the rear fender and some other goodies

The boots are beast, so glad I got them. When you put them on its like thousands of micro stripper fairys kissing your feet with warmth

They have 200 gram thinsulate with Cordura and wicking material and a waterproof shell, the inner boot has lacing to the toe and thermal gel insoles.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
since i have been doing alot of early morning riding and almost got creamed by some asian lady in a SUV the other day I decided to use some nifty hints passed onto to me.

I took out the old rim strip on the clown shoe wheels and decided to make the weight shaving speed holes work for me.

I replaced it with a lighter and more durable 3m type black reflective tape

here is the new rim strip without flash

and here it is with a flash.

it came out bright as hell but still looks black when not reflecting.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
We would all like to try that rig out.
I stumbled onto the "Ride the Divide" movie last night. (netflix on demand)
A low budget deal ..but does provide a glimpse into that wicked adventure.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I got to demo one of these Surly fat bikes a couple weeks ago on my vacation in Durango, CO.

I really think I am going to get one for my move to Germany later this year.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I drank the Kool-Aid and I'm falling deep, deep down the rabbit hole....

Will be adding a Bud/Lou tire combo and bigger rotors. Sticking with a symmetrical fork though.

Last edited: