Quantcast

My final project for this year.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The teacher gave us a problem which consisted of the Lake, Pond, Stream, and Topo lines. From there we had to come up with a solution of how to get the people around town with only minimally crossing roads while taking advantage of the surroundings.
The teacher gave us the problem on an 8 ½ x 11 and I scanned it, blew it up to 1”=200 from 1”=1000’ and then printed it out. We then did sketch over sketch over sketch to come up with a solution. Then we did one final dark line copy which I then had scanned it. Once the final was scanned I converted it to autocad and did some minor re-design.

http://uploads.fakeleg.com/tmp/FINALPROJECTSITEPLAN.pdf

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
You should've left the whole thing as Open Space, you Tool. :mad: You know - roadless area.

-S.S.-
OH we had to fit 900 lots in there as well. Thats what all thoes little blocks are.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i have no idea what to be looking for, but it looks good, stosh. :thumb: you're in architecture school? urban planning?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Toshi said:
i have no idea what to be looking for, but it looks good, stosh. :thumb: you're in architecture school? urban planning?
Yeah I'm just going for my associates right now. This was a course called Community planning. The idea is that everybody gets smaller pieces or property but EVERYBODY has access to larger inter-connected green areas.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
PS. We're also doing a model which will be done tonight. I'll have to take pics.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
Yeah I'm just going for my associates right now. This was a course called Community planning. The idea is that everybody gets smaller pieces or property but EVERYBODY has access to larger inter-connected green areas.
Here's an idea. Build 5 180-apartment highrises right on the lake and leave *all* the rest as Open Space. :think:

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
Here's an idea. Build 5 180-apartment highrises right on the lake and leave *all* the rest as Open Space. :think:

-S.S.-
The problem with high rise apt's is they disconnect the families and the parent's are less able to actively watch their kids who usually play on the street below. It also doesn't help with a sense of community.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ruprick said:
That's great as long as everyone owns a car. Deadends and cul de sacs are public transportation nightmares.
agreed but no culdesac is loger than 600ft.

The other thing is public transportation isn't needed as much because people are more likely to walk places.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
stosh said:
agreed but no culdesac is loger than 600ft.

The other thing is public transportation isn't needed as much because people are more likely to walk places.
if that was actually built i bet people would still drive everywhere :dead: . laziness ALWAYS prevails in america.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
stosh said:
They're over by the lake and by the pond.
I was fooled by the "Hiking Trail" labels ;)

Seems like an efficient use of the space. Are those cul-de-sacs divided so that they're one way? That might make it difficult to get home for some people:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Toshi said:
if that was actually built i bet people would still drive everywhere :dead: . laziness ALWAYS prevails in america.
we actually visited a town that had a similar design and people walked everywhere.

PS. I loved it this morning when this mother was waiting at the bus stop (the end of her driveway) with her child in her minivan. It was f'ing nice out today too! I was like oh well maybe she's going in to town now, after the bus pulled away she put the car in reverse and backs all the way into the garage.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
stosh said:
You ARE planning this for the US right? Are you serious about walking or was that sarcasm? BTW I came from high rise apartments when I was young and it doesn't destroy the sense of community. Put a playground and some grass area in the middle of the high rises and it creates a natural community gathering point for the kids where EVERYONE can keep an eye on them. That's how the apartment high rise I came out of were set up and it works pretty well.

Edit: there were a total of 5 sets of 4 apartment high rises and in the middle of the 5 sets there was a grade school where the bigger kids went to hang out baseball fields, soccer fields, ice rink, basket ball courts, ect

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
tonyhawk said:
I was fooled by the "Hiking Trail" labels ;)

Seems like an efficient use of the space. Are those cul-de-sacs divided so that they're one way? That might make it difficult to get home for some people:

The small 1 culdesacs will fit 2 cars however it's tight to limit traffic. The larger O culdesacs have traffic moving both directions.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Pau11y said:
You ARE planning this for the US right? Are you serious about walking or was that sarcasm? BTW I came from high rise apartments when I was young and it doesn't destroy the sense of community. Put a playground and some grass area in the middle of the high rises and it creates a natural community gathering point for the kids where EVERYONE can keep an eye on them. That's how the apartment high rise I came out of were set up and it works pretty well.
How many floors?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
stosh said:
How many floors?
There were 2 styles. The full on apartment high rises were 25 floors. I lived in the other type which had 6 floors, 3 leves of 2 story townhomes w/ outside walkways. The apartments had indoor walkways.

Edit: how it was arranged was the two smaller buildings faced each other and the two taller ones faced each other forming a rectangle courtyard in the middle w/ grass area and kiddy playgound.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
This was in Toronto Canada and I think it was a goberman project as I don't remember rent payments being to any person specific. It wasn't a poor area tho. And, just up the road, maybe about 1/4 mile was a high school. The buildings wrapped around the grade school, soccer fields, ice rink, baseball diamonds, basketball courts and a wooded area we called "the Ravine". In total, it was about 10 sq miles. We had an underhand fast pitch softball league between all the buildings in the summer and hockey league in the winters. This was right be the Ontario Science Center (don't know if you guys have heard of this place). Me and my crew then used to go there to play tag...fun times!

Edit: Oh yeah, there was a small medical center between the grade school and high school, for the kids getting banged up playing. And, need I say more about Canada's medical service....?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Well apt's are an important part of any community. If done right they do work. However a lot of the problem with inner cities many of the high rises weren't designed right. THey were designed to house the max amount of people in min. sq ft.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. Why do you need a chairlift when everything is flat? :p

-S.S.-
Doh! My bad, I forget theat the East coast is all flat.

Stosh, add a mountain or two in there, OK?