Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Things are a changing in my world. Things are going to go one of three ways:

1) Nothing changes and I keep doing what I am doing. (very unlikely)

2) I switch into the healthcare position I talked about a year ago, but the commentary continues. (more likely)

3) Game changer. Details to follow later this week, but it's big, very big. Commentary will cease, and I will likely fall of RM again for a while if not pseudo-permanently. (Most likely)

If #3 happens, I can no longer post financial commentary, and I will only be posting outside of business hours (which I rarely do already). Select individuals can feel free to PM me (most know who you are already), but it will be very limited and mostly offline (ie phone).

I'm stoked for however this falls out, but I'm pseudo scared ****less.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
..........normal seating position...........

....................NORMAL SEATING POSITION!!!!!...........................

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
#3 is confirmed, details tonight. Double my pay is the starting point of this story.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I accepted a position at a major wall street investment bank today. I will be working in institutional equity sales. It doubles my base, which is what I am really excited about. I will be travelling almost daily on zero notice, and I need to be at my desk at 3:50am, but that's the cost of business.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I accepted a position at a major wall street investment bank today. I will be working in institutional equity sales. It doubles my base, which is what I am really excited about. I will be travelling almost daily on zero notice, and I need to be at my desk at 3:50am, but that's the cost of business.
you rock!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Look out Barney's here you come! You'll need 12 custom made shirts and at least 6 pair of new shoes - nobody trusts anybody in finance who wears the same shoes twice in one week; it's a deal breaker.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
congrats stoney. you win the most egotistical monkey award. well done, there was stiff competition.
stoney98 and The Joker were in a head-to-head race but I think with this he's pulled away

:think:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
congrats but....how long will the wife enjoy the new hours?
She understands the need, plus when we do have kids I will be getting off work at 2pm. I will be able to get them from daycare, etc while she is at work meaning more time with the kids in whole. Win-win.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I will be travelling almost daily on zero notice, and I need to be at my desk at 3:50am, but that's the cost of business.

I will be getting off work at 2pm. I will be able to get them from daycare, etc while she is at work meaning more time with the kids in whole
More wishful thinking from Finance. :clapping:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When are you scheduled to testify?

Congratulations! :cheers:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I will be travelling almost daily on zero notice, and I need to be at my desk at 3:50am, but that's the cost of business.
Well congrats.

But damn I do not understand finance. What is so go damned important that stuff will suddenly crop up like that?

I can understand when it comes to "real things"....stuff breaking, people bleeding etc....but finance is completely made up. Where's the fire?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Sweet, congrats!! Is the plant to do this long-term, or to make as much money in the next 5-7 years before semi-retiring and doing something that provides fulfillment and quality time with the kids? I'm a big fan of "suffering now so that you can enjoy life later", but most of the financial guys (or lawyers) that I know end up getting accustomed to the lifestyle and toys that go along with the big money and spend their lives just chasing more and more and more.

Assuming that this is a national firm, any thoughts on moving to the East coast so you only have to be at work at 6:50am instead of 3:50am?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Assuming that this is a national firm, any thoughts on moving to the East coast so you only have to be at work at 6:50am instead of 3:50am?
probably cheaper to stay where he is.....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Is the plan to do this long-term, or to make as much money in the next 5-7 years before semi-retiring and doing something that provides fulfillment and quality time with the kids? I'm a big fan of "suffering now so that you can enjoy life later"
That was my brothers plan too. His reward for giving up the 'now' for the 'future' was pancreatic cancer @ 42 years old. At least his daughter can remember all the things they wanted to do together.

All I want to do when I'm old is sip booze from a glass jar and shake my cane at youngin's. You're only able to do some things while young and trading life experiences for financial gain is a fool's game.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That was my brothers plan too. His reward for giving up the 'now' for the 'future' was pancreatic cancer @ 42 years old. At least his daughter can remember all the things they wanted to do together.

All I want to do when I'm old is sip booze from a glass jar and shake my cane at youngin's. You're only able to do some things while young and trading life experiences for financial gain is a fool's game.
Quoted for truth. Life is short man. I should have been dead @ 28 except for some luck and some great Docs. Live today like its your last, cause it might be. Never know when you might get hit by a volkswagon. After my accident my priorites change pretty dramatically. I work a max 40 hour week and spend every spare minute doing fun isht and hanging with the family. Sure more $$ would be nice sometimes but I don't belive the tradeoff is worth it.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I'd recommend that you not have kids as they'll either be raised by the nanny or the illegal housekeeper, but you type A types like to produce little carbon copies of yourself.

Best of luck in your new gig. It does sound like it's something you really like to do. I envy you that.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Wow, the haterade must have kicked in at the end there.

Good luck.

At least if you finish work at 2PM you have plenty of sunlight for RIDING!!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Good for you, best of luck with that.

But still, in my mind's race for worst humans on earth between finace brokers and lawyers, it's still too close to call.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
congrats stoney. you win the most egotistical monkey award. well done, there was stiff competition.
But don't you think it was masterful how he ratcheted up the tension by providing 2 non-existent options? I know I bit my fingernails to the quick the tension was so unbearable. TO THE QUICK!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sweet, congrats!! Is the plant to do this long-term, or to make as much money in the next 5-7 years before semi-retiring and doing something that provides fulfillment and quality time with the kids? I'm a big fan of "suffering now so that you can enjoy life later", but most of the financial guys (or lawyers) that I know end up getting accustomed to the lifestyle and toys that go along with the big money and spend their lives just chasing more and more and more.

Thanks. The plan is to do this as long as possible. Unlike trading or banking, the burnout rate in sales is pretty low, and the pay is not in ludicrous range. I don't plan on moving to the East Coast, as sales is relationships and I will have West Coast accounts.
I am super pumped about the ability to ride after work though. I could not before due to a combination of the hours from work, lack of time due to having to manually do many chores as I was not getting paid enough to have them done for me. Now I will have both the time, and funds to just buy back time. As horrible as that sounds, if I can spend $500/m to buy back 10-12 hours per month, I'm doing it.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Congrats man. It doesn't sound like something I'd dig (money aside) but if its what you want then good dealio.

When does this all start?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
What's the rationale for 3:50am start time for sales to west coast accounts?
Genuinely curious. Unless you're selling retirement plans to Circle K night cashiers, who the hell is up at that hours and buying financial products?