Quantcast

My first car.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I finally bought a car today... After a long time, and being the kid without a car for way too long, i got one today. Paid 4,500 for a 97 Subaru Legacy Outback limited, with 110k miles. Sorry, i dont have any pics right now, but im super stoked to go riding this weekend in it. The car handles like its on rails, even thought it is a station wagon. It puts my moms 05 saab 9-3 to shame on corners... Car just had new gaskets and clutch, and seems to be fine. Being such a big purchase for me I had it checked out 3 times before i bought it... :)

I got some questions though. The radio sucks....

I want to get a new i-pod ready pre amp cd player. The model that im looking at puts out 25 wats per channel x4. The car has 4 speakers and I want to install a sub. Should i run the 4 main speakers off the small CD players amp, or should i buy a 4 channel 80-100 watt per channel amp, split the first two channels to two speakers and bridge that last two channels to a 160-200 wat sub? Or should I just get a single channel amp for the sub and leave the other speakers alone? Btw, i listen to loud metal and rap. (im that kid)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Personally, I'd put in the head unit and install a single channel amp for the sub, and see where that puts you. Those stock speakers aren't going to handle a whole lot of juice before distorting and/or blowing.

If it's not loud enough, you can reevaluate.

Congrats on the car. But I hate you bastids that ride around rattling my windows with your bass :mumble:

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I agree with binary visions.

My first car was an 89' SAAB 900. SAABs are definently unique cars. After a few years with that, and paying more than it was wourth to fix it on multiple occasions, I got a Subaru Outback Impreza Sport (wagon).

Good choice. These cars are not only fun, but they're useful and actually get good gas mileage!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Congrats! I just got my first car a few months ago. It's a '70 Porsche 914 I picked up for 1400 w/ a blown motor (project car). New cars are fun!!!

J

JRB

binary visions said:
<snip>Congrats on the car. But I hate you bastids that ride around rattling my windows with your bass :mumble:
:stupid: I want to turn all of them off.