Quantcast

my first clipless shoes

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just bought my first pair of real biking shoes yesterday. I can't wait to try them out and injure myself in the process. :) We shopped around for a while, but settled on these Shimano shoes. The three peope I ride with all use Shimanos and they love them. Got a good price, too. They were marked $150, on sale for $90...at Ski Market of all places! That's usually the last place I'll shop for anything. Can't wait to try them out!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I just got mine 2 weeks ago, road only twice because of the damn weather.. REAL important!!!!!!!!! Set the pedals light so it's easier to clip out!!!!!!!!!

I like 'em, just weird to get used too!!!

And yes, I came to a complete stop, and.......bam!!!!!

Tipped right on over!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
I've had mine for about five months and they already have 1200 miles on 'em. Yup they should just about be broken in by now. They are totally sweet and powerful shoes, built to transform the weekend warrior into a demi-god. (Well almost.)

At least they're better than my answer speeders. $65 speeders, $180 Shimanos. Go figure.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

IR - ya never mentioned what kind of pedals you've got!
BUY TIME PEDALS BUY TIME PEDALS BUY TIME PEDALS
I'm a big Time fan, keep my knees from screaming at me.
But I wouldn't want to influence your purchasing decision...
:D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

Funny......all of a sudden, I have this urge to buy Time Pedals................weird:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

I second that.

SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS SPEEDPLAY FROGS

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Nope sorry, I just can't get on with clips. I tried and I failed. I have gone back to flats. Big ones! HUGE! Studs that penetrate the sole! No slipping, but a lot of blood from my shins.

Hardcore to the BONE!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by Nizmeister
Nope sorry, I just can't get on with clips. I tried and I failed. I have gone back to flats. Big ones! HUGE! Studs that penetrate the sole! No slipping, but a lot of blood from my shins.

Hardcore to the BONE!
Awe........come on Niz, live a little!!!!!!!! Clipless best way to get you closer to yer TestiCushion!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
On the Time and Speedplay front I'm torn.

Give me your opinion. I've been thinking bout getting the Times because of the mud clearance, larger platform, light weight and good reputation from others who own them. But, I've always been really tempted by the speedplays. I'm told there is no nicer pedal and the mudclearance issue is zero. What's the price comparison?:confused:

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
spincrazy -

I've only seen speedplays on a bike at the shop. So can't offer advice on them.

As for the time pedals - they do rock! Mud is no problem with them. But when you first get them they will be a bit tight. Once you ride them for a while they'll wear in. My riding buddy swears by them.

I was on the fence as well and ended up just taking my buddies shimano 858's when he went to time pedals.

On the price I think the speedplay's are more expensive. The carbon time pedals are around 120 net price? maybe cheaper with sales and stuff. The frogs are def. lighter though, but I could never quite figure out how they work :confused:

Also you gotta watch out on the frogs and the time pedals and make sure your shoes can handle the cleats. You might have to shave down your soles a bit, some people have problems.

hope this helps and good luck! let us know what you end up with!

-B

It's all about preference. I know nothing about the Time's bit to compare the Frogs to Shimanos...

Frogs have more float
No tension on the frogs = no knee pain
replacement cleats on frogs are more expensive (I've heard)
Frog cleats may require some adjustments to the bottom of your shoes to fit (but I've heard the Times do too)

It's really hard to decide without trying them.

Mostly, I hear good things about both the Times and the Frogs, so either way, you'd probably be happy!

Good luck!

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
Originally posted by spincrazy
On the Time and Speedplay front I'm torn.

Give me your opinion. I've been thinking bout getting the Times because of the mud clearance, larger platform, light weight and good reputation from others who own them. But, I've always been really tempted by the speedplays. I'm told there is no nicer pedal and the mudclearance issue is zero. What's the price comparison?:confused:
Times are NOT light weight. Frogs are.

m00ch

Chimp
Aug 24, 2001
it dont know about frogs but i can have enough mud on the bottom of my shoe for a pig to roll in and all you gotta do is step on it and click your in. i ride in mud and bb high water alot and there is no problem with my pedals

I by my cleats from speadgoat, nice price and they shave em for ya.

but i wanna try platforms.

I bought the Shimano 646's my desicision was made because they are wide enough to wear my street shoes if I want to run to check the mail and I don't have to change anything. I have been riding them since June and love them just am still doing the occational "Benny Hill" Stops. Can't wait to get over that. Of course I always have to do them when someone is around.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by dirtybikechick
I bought the Shimano 646's my desicision was made because they are wide enough to wear my street shoes if I want to run to check the mail and I don't have to change anything. I have been riding them since June and love them just am still doing the occational "Benny Hill" Stops. Can't wait to get over that. Of course I always have to do them when someone is around.
I think thats an unwritten MTB rule....

..................when clipped in and you come to a complete, non-technical stop, I.E. - Stop Sign, when falling due to the inability to unclip, other people, preferably non MTB'rs MUST be within viewing area of said event"..............................

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I love those shoes I have had mine for about 10 months now and have no complants ,The reason I bought them was because I broke my shimano 320`s ( the top of the line racing shoes by shimano ) it took me about 3 months to break them don`t worry shimano warranted them no problem ,I love shimano`s warranty dept. I wish Giro had the same warranty issue or some thing close I tend to break shoes and helmets :rolleyes: