Quantcast

My first concert (AKA take it to ridefoto, nub)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
They ganked our photopasses after the first set from a surprisingly talented local band, Good Morning Maxfield who were followed by Augustana, Hellogoodbye, and Shiny Toy Guns...none of which are really my taste. Meh. First set was backlit by the sun, but I massaged a few decent shots out of it with the 50mm and 17-50mm (need moar reach). I tend to desaturate when light is awful... Welcoming commentary from narlus...

rest here:
http://flickr.com/photos/blaudonner/

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I like the de-saturating, gives it a cool effect. I wish in #3 the guitarist's face wasn't in a shadow, but I know there was nothing you could have done about it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sometimes the headliners won't let shooters who arranged passes from opening bands shoot them. that's never happened to me, but i don't really shoot big venues that often, and when i do, it's through the headliner.

blue, i think you did a good job w/ yr first foray. one thing i'd do is to crop a bit tighter...even though you don't have a longer lens, you can still get away w/ some tighter crops, esp on 1 and 3. #4 i'd get rid of the guy in the lower left. i like what you were trying for w/ #6, but it would have worked a bit better had you a clearer background, instead of the drummer.

anyway, solid effort and i look forward to see other shows from you.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Hey Narl, do you think (with his permission) you could crop a few of his pics to 'your' spec? I'd like to see how tight you would crop it. I'm still a photo noob and am trying to take in as much as I can.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hey Narl, do you think (with his permission) you could crop a few of his pics to 'your' spec? I'd like to see how tight you would crop it. I'm still a photo noob and am trying to take in as much as I can.
Yeah that would be really cool.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sometimes the headliners won't let shooters who arranged passes from opening bands shoot them. that's never happened to me, but i don't really shoot big venues that often, and when i do, it's through the headliner.

blue, i think you did a good job w/ yr first foray. one thing i'd do is to crop a bit tighter...even though you don't have a longer lens, you can still get away w/ some tighter crops, esp on 1 and 3. #4 i'd get rid of the guy in the lower left. i like what you were trying for w/ #6, but it would have worked a bit better had you a clearer background, instead of the drummer.

anyway, solid effort and i look forward to see other shows from you.
I'll go through and crop a bit more. #6 is actually about a 1/4 crop, so I can definitely get away with it.

This wasn't my first concert...just my first one shooting at. :biggrin:

I really want a 70-200 f/2.8 for this kind of stuff. I don't think I would've used anything else all night. If I do get some better gigs (narlus, hook me up! ;)), I'll be renting a lens or two.