Quantcast

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Im sorry, I couldn't watch more than the first 60 seconds. I was getting motion sick watching the ground go by so fast. Aim that camera up some...

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Im sorry, I couldn't watch more than the first 60 seconds. I was getting motion sick watching the ground go by so fast. Aim that camera up some...[/QUOTE

It eventually gets better and you get used to it. But at least the ground isn't going by slowly. And ya this was the first time using the gopro1080 and the new mounting place. I'll try the handlebar mount next time

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
Im sorry, I couldn't watch more than the first 60 seconds. I was getting motion sick watching the ground go by so fast. Aim that camera up some...[/QUOTE

It eventually gets better and you get used to it. But at least the ground isn't going by slowly. And ya this was the first time using the gopro1080 and the new mounting place. I'll try the handlebar mount next time

handle bar = too jittery, imo.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I made this video for my own reference to double check my lines on the Crested Butte race course, so no music or anything. But I like tilting the camera sideways, makes it really easy to see the whole trail. And like I said, this was for race practice so it helps see lines coming up.

Not really (only partially:D) trying to derail your thread. But try filming like this once, sure you're not getting 1080p widescreen, but I'd rather see the whole trail at a lower res than just the ground 10 feet in front of me at high res.

Crested Butte Race Course - Practice Run on Vimeo

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I made this video for my own reference to double check my lines on the Crested Butte race course, so no music or anything. But I like tilting the camera sideways, makes it really easy to see the whole trail. And like I said, this was for race practice so it helps see lines coming up.
Long course, nice run.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The thing about cheesy transition. I don't have an expensive editing software. All I have is windows movie maker.
[film major hat on] Most cuts in movies/videos are actually straight cuts with no transitions. The reason behind being that most elaborate transitions take the audience's focus away from the content of the film. The best editing is the kind you never notice when watching a film/movie/video. For that, you don't need expensive software.[/film major hat off]

Also-
1080p sometimes isn't the best solution for filming. I've found that with filming with a gopro, 960p looks better because it doesn't cut off the top of bottom of the video to make it widescreen and it'll still be a nicer resolution than 720p. That way when you're riding you can see all the way down the trails and the rider's bars if done right.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Shooting in 960p and/or placing it vertically will help with viewing the trail. however the best view I've gotten was from being stuck the the chin guard of my moto helmet. This gives a nice angle and pulls on your helmet from the middle instead of the side (which I find very distracting). I've posted some images from it before I won't bother doing so again unless you want to see them.

For future reference, describing your own video as being "awesome" is a sure fire way to get people to hate on it. Be a bit more humble/realistic and you won't get near the negativity.

Aug 25, 2011
[film major hat on] Most cuts in movies/videos are actually straight cuts with no transitions. The reason behind being that most elaborate transitions take the audience's focus away from the content of the film. The best editing is the kind you never notice when watching a film/movie/video. For that, you don't need expensive software.[/film major hat off]

Also-
1080p sometimes isn't the best solution for filming. I've found that with filming with a gopro, 960p looks better because it doesn't cut off the top of bottom of the video to make it widescreen and it'll still be a nicer resolution than 720p. That way when you're riding you can see all the way down the trails and the rider's bars if done right.
Thanks for the advice. Ill keep it in mind during my next edit. But ya I had a a60 I got it set up perfectly and now the 1080 mount is off

Aug 25, 2011
Shooting in 960p and/or placing it vertically will help with viewing the trail. however the best view I've gotten was from being stuck the the chin guard of my moto helmet. This gives a nice angle and pulls on your helmet from the middle instead of the side (which I find very distracting). I've posted some images from it before I won't bother doing so again unless you want to see them.

For future reference, describing your own video as being "awesome" is a sure fire way to get people to hate on it. Be a bit more humble/realistic and you won't get near the negativity.

Thanks. Any tips will help. Im new to the threads so posting advice is great and editing tips and mountint advice is appreciated

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I original just stuck a mount to my chin guard because my Kali helmet has a pretty flat area, but since it was only holding on by two ends it popped off a few weeks ago while I was dismounting it (luckily not while riding). Now that I have a busted helmet I can mess around with I plan on taking the base the camera was mounted on in the packaging and zip-tying it on there for a better fit.

here's a few links to the photos take from that angle in r4 (960) mode, since I accidentally set it to continuous shoot instead of video.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/loser_guy/GOPR0274.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/loser_guy/GOPR0296.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/loser_guy/GOPR0321.jpg

Also, if you want to retain a bit of the original sound and want to get rid of that popcorn-esque clanking sound, put a single strip of electrical tape over the ridge on the mount.

Aug 25, 2011
I original just stuck a mount to my chin guard because my Kali helmet has a pretty flat area, but since it was only holding on by two ends it popped off a few weeks ago while I was dismounting it (luckily not while riding). Now that I have a busted helmet I can mess around with I plan on taking the base the camera was mounted on in the packaging and zip-tying it on there for a better fit.

here's a few links to the photos take from that angle in r4 (960) mode, since I accidentally set it to continuous shoot instead of video.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/loser_guy/GOPR0274.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/loser_guy/GOPR0296.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/loser_guy/GOPR0321.jpg

Also, if you want to retain a bit of the original sound and want to get rid of that popcorn-esque clanking sound, put a single strip of electrical tape over the ridge on the mount.
Thanks for the tips. Those are nice shots. The chest strap gives a really good video I know. Im trying to find a nicer mounting area on my helmet

Ed517

Chimp
Jun 5, 2011
Whats up with the music dude? Also dont do captions "some whips" really? also the transitions makes it look cheap.

Cool idea, but takes some time before a vid will look "awesome".

9min is also abit long for a internet clip

Aug 25, 2011
Ya the music. I heard substep made for a good video. I am constantly looking for a song tnat will make for a good video. The captions some whips was a bit cheesy. But the idea with the titles was so people could see diablo freeride park because they try it etc. Mainly an educational video in a sense. It'll take time for me to perfect a video. But its coming along

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
1) You don't need to go to "film school" to know that distractions suck. (Of course, paying for someone else to tell you a common sense thing, it's what made America great!) You only need to watch Idiocracy, which will tell you: the average American has an attention span of 5 seconds, tops. Tops. Don't mess with that, or some "film school" grad will be all over your case!

2) Your video isn't "awesome" to anyone but you and, probably, your mother -- who thinks everything you do is "awesome" because you're her kid. Please don't try to force "awesome" down someone's throat. Let others judge for themselves what they think of your video. Just put it up there, and see who thinks what.

3) Work on making the camera angle correct before you ask a bunch of people to get involuntary neck cramps from habitually trying to "look up" because your camera is angled too far downward. Please.

4) Use whatever music YOU LIKE. Choose music that in your opinion matches the footage you're showing us.

5) Nice effort though, despite the criticisms I just offered. Keep trying. Spend more time filming and editing, and less time seeking our praise.

Aug 25, 2011
1) You don't need to go to "film school" to know that distractions suck. (Of course, paying for someone else to tell you a common sense thing, it's what made America great!) You only need to watch Idiocracy, which will tell you: the average American has an attention span of 5 seconds, tops. Tops. Don't mess with that, or some "film school" grad will be all over your case!

2) Your video isn't "awesome" to anyone but you and, probably, your mother -- who thinks everything you do is "awesome" because you're her kid. Please don't try to force "awesome" down someone's throat. Let others judge for themselves what they think of your video. Just put it up there, and see who thinks what.

3) Work on making the camera angle correct before you ask a bunch of people to get involuntary neck cramps from habitually trying to "look up" because your camera is angled too far downward. Please.

4) Use whatever music YOU LIKE. Choose music that in your opinion matches the footage you're showing us.

5) Nice effort though, despite the criticisms I just offered. Keep trying. Spend more time filming and editing, and less time seeking our praise.
Thanks for the Advice. Will keep it in mind during the next edit.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

Because the only thing I ever learned as a film major was to not use a star iris transition right? :rolleyes:

Luckily you're there to pick up all the slack of things my education missed such as to make sure he had the camera pointed the right way. It took me years of trial and error after I graduated to get enough real world experiences to figure that one out.

PS I never went to a film school, just a lowly graduate of the cal state system. :thumb:

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

Can you believe that film grad guy?? Who does he think he is?