Quantcast

My First DH experience - a photo essay of sorts.........

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by chromegoddess
yeah! the sound ... nothingness while the chair chugs along (at a SNAILS PACE!!) ... then a little rattle, or some crunching heard in the distance.....then some shale heard under braking power....the dreary woods packed with twisting trails through un-sprung trees, slick roots, you can spy for hundreds of yards until the thick lush green takes over sometime this month. the trails comes alive as brightly colored jerseys and bikes pick their way through. watch 'em flow. skipping over earths magnificent undulations. a train of riders. or just one. you see a near-death mishap and a miraculous recovery....but not without a howling hoot of relief mixed with glee. directed at whom? the trees? the rocks? the chair lift eavesdroppers? sometimes i can't help it and a yelpping call explodes from my lungs as i sit not-so-patiently for the chair to deliver me to the top. yeeeeeeehaaaaaaawwww!

giddyup downhill.
Well put!

We must meet and ride next sometime.....I like your approach and the way you view the sport! :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
chromegoddess, that was a sweet post!

good thread all-round. mark, now you've been bitten and the infection has taken hold. there is no known cure, but a nice medicine involves a doublecrown fork and a 3" stroke shock.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Repack
Too bad the cute girl who works there went and got herself pregnant.
Too funny. i was saying the same thing to my buddy on raceday.:eek: to bad really.:(

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Lexx D
Too funny. i was saying the same thing to my buddy on raceday.:eek: to bad really.:(
I saw her and pretty much the palm of my hand went straight to my forehead as my jaw hit the floor. I've been going there since she was like 11 or 12.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by narlus
chromegoddess, that was a sweet post!

good thread all-round. mark, now you've been bitten and the infection has taken hold. there is no known cure, but a nice medicine involves a doublecrown fork and a 3" stroke shock.
I know......but how to pay for that stuff is the 64 million dollar question.:(

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by MMcG
Give the budjet we find the bike. :D

Seriously if you had fun on the HT and got no cash keep riding it. I'll be at the mountain with 2 of my buddies alot this summer and both ride hardtails. Speed doesn't matter as long as your having fun.
I don't race but i like to go fast anyway:evil:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
oh shoot, i feel the need for a little seriousness here. feeling defensive for marie, the plattekill sweetheart.

repack, my burley beantown friend...um...."..went and got herself pregnant.."?? she's 18, she has a boyfriend, they are having a child. both their families are very excited about the baby and have been loving and supportive throughout. seems like a welcoming environment for the little munchkin. marie is a remarkably devoted, hard-working, capable individual and i'm certain she'll make a fantastic mother. so what if it's a little earlier than some might prefer for their own lives. she's still sweet marie to me.

edit: "Give the budjet we find the bike. .. Seriously if you had fun on the HT and got no cash keep riding it. ..."

agreed! the bike will make itself available to you in time. in the interim enjoy knowing you are super-hard-core riding a HT in pkill. if you give us advance notice, i'll see about tossing the spare DH in the van for you to try out.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
oh shoot, i feel the need for a little seriousness here. feeling defensive for marie, the plattekill sweetheart.

repack, my burley beantown friend...um...."..went and got herself pregnant.."?? she's 18, she has a boyfriend, they are having a child. both their families are very excited about the baby and have been loving and supportive throughout. seems like a welcoming environment for the little munchkin. marie is a remarkably devoted, hard-working, capable individual and i'm certain she'll make a fantastic mother. so what if it's a little earlier than some might prefer for their own lives. she's still sweet marie to me.

edit: "Give the budjet we find the bike. .. Seriously if you had fun on the HT and got no cash keep riding it. ..."

agreed! the bike will make itself available to you in time. in the interim enjoy knowing you are super-hard-core riding a HT in pkill. if you give us advance notice, i'll see about tossing the spare DH in the van for you to try out.
I plan on rockin the hardtail fo sho!! It served me well and I had a blast on it. I feel like I'll be a little bit better the next go around too....so no real rush.......but it would be fun to have more travel! :devil: :)

And you have a spare DH - nice!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY

I personally wasn't saying anything bad. She is a very cute girl that's why i said too bad. And also sweet, I would always joke around with her when I'd get my tickets. Good to know she has her family supporting her.:)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
repack, my burley beantown friend...um.....
Sorry. I wasn't trying to be judgemental or anything. Its just that I've seen "little bundles of joy" cause some pretty serious disruptions in friends lives. I don't know either of them, so I'll just wish then the best of luck.

Back to the real issue: Plattekill rules:thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Mmmm. Plattekill. Such a huge reputation for such a small rural mountain. Too bad the cute girl who works there went and got herself pregnant.

Sunday, race weekend #1, May 2004

Hey Marie, what's new? Oh nevermind, I can see whats new ! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i've had 3 different DH bikes in the last few years, and altogether the DHi, giant DH and orange 222 cost me about $5000. so you can either buy used, or win a raffle, or do both. :)

seriously, i think yr best bet is to look at a quality used (but not abused) bike...there are deals out there from people who either didn't get into the sport like they thought they would, got hurt, or have to sell the gear because of $ shortage. scan the boards and ebay.

as usual buyer beware; you don't wanna buy something w/ square wheels, a bent fork and a cracked frame.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by narlus
well i've had 3 different DH bikes in the last few years, and altogether the DHi, giant DH and orange 222 cost me about $5000. so you can either buy used, or win a raffle, or do both. :)

seriously, i think yr best bet is to look at a quality used (but not abused) bike...there are deals out there from people who either didn't get into the sport like they thought they would, got hurt, or have to sell the gear because of $ shortage. scan the boards and ebay.

as usual buyer beware; you don't wanna buy something w/ square wheels, a bent fork and a cracked frame.
Yeah - but I'll probably just ride the hardtail this season while trying to put some funds in the bank - my longer travel full suspension bikey fund I guess.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
nice. repack/lexx, you rule. thanks for not being bent i got all serious and scoldy, esp because we're entitled to our own opinions and the right to express them. guess a few of us have a protective wing for her in some way or another.

back to the more serious stuff....so now i have this hankering to do platteylah on a HT. masochist or purist?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
nice. repack/lexx, you rule. thanks for not being bent i got all serious and scoldy, esp because we're entitled to our own opinions and the right to express them. guess a few of us have a protective wing for her in some way or another.

back to the more serious stuff....so now i have this hankering to do platteylah on a HT. masochist or purist?
I know of a bike that you can try! :D

And for your last question, my answer is a little bit of both! :cool: :D

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
...so now i have this hankering to do platteylah on a HT. masochist or purist?
I'd say a bit of both. I have taken runs on HT's but never a whole day. I know how i get when i'm there and i would personally get hurt on my HT(24 in wheels). As long as you've got big tyres(bigger than 1.9) and good breaks your set.:evil:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I know of a bike that you can try! :D

And for your last question, my answer is a little bit of both! :cool: :D
it's a deal, we trade bikes for a run.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
it's a deal, we trade bikes for a run.
You can borrow mine, but I'd be nervous as hell riding your BMW! I'd probably digger big time and send your rig flying off a drop or something. :eek: :(

But maybe we do a trade that would go something like this - you take my hardtail for a run or two and I borrow your back up DH bike...I'd feel better vs. riding your Brooklyn.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area

Its cool. I was trying to portray my surprise and realized that I must have come across as a real dick. And thanks for letting me tag along with you and Chris on Sunday. It felt so good to ride again!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride

I was just glad to find out Roscoe wasnt the father!

and I give myself a :stupid: just for saying that!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Its cool. I was trying to portray my surprise and realized that I must have come across as a real dick. And thanks for letting me tag along with you and Chris on Sunday. It felt so good to ride again!
Repack you were there on Sunday too?? What were you riding?

jeez we could have had a mini Monkeyfest up there had we all coordinated a little better. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You guys going to be there the weekend of the 6th?

I want to try to make it up there then.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
"I was just glad to find out Roscoe wasnt the father!"

ohmystars!! LOL. or louis.

repack, was fun. had a hard time believing that was your first time back on the big bike since the knee.

mmcg, thanks for the concern. i think you'll be fine, though maybe good to take it easy on the first couple runs. 99.9% sure you won't hurt the bike. levers/shifter/derailrs are another story.

edit: likely i'll be there on the w/e of the 6th

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by stosh

But what are you gonna ride? Oh, you must have gotten a DH bike:D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
But what are you gonna ride? Oh, you must have gotten a DH bike:D
I rode my hollowpoint there last year I could do it again.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I rode my hollowpoint there last year I could do it again.
:eek: :devil:

I should be at plattekill on the 6th. I was also thinking of hitting mountain creek this sunday.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

mmcg, thanks for the concern. i think you'll be fine, though maybe good to take it easy on the first couple runs. 99.9% sure you won't hurt the bike. levers/shifter/derailrs are another story.

edit: likely i'll be there on the w/e of the 6th
Is the w/e of the 6th a race weekend?

And thanks for the generous offer chromegoddess - it would be pretty cool to say I rode a BMW that's for sure.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Is the w/e of the 6th a race weekend?

And thanks for the generous offer chromegoddess - it would be pretty cool to say I rode a BMW that's for sure.

yeah the 6th is a race weekend.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work

Why in the world would you want to go there on a race weekend if you aren't racing? The lift line goes all the way to the parking lot, and you can't even use the lift during most of the race.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Echo
Why in the world would you want to go there on a race weekend if you aren't racing? The lift line goes all the way to the parking lot, and you can't even use the lift during most of the race.
Hmmm....that would kind of suck for me as I don't think I'm ready to race yet....but perhaps I could go and take pics of all the racing Monkeys on that day.

Is there any XC riding in and around there where you could still ride but yet still be able to catch the race runs and take pics?

Do any of those state parks along the way have trails?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Echo
Sorry bro gotta fight this one. Ask chromegoddess if there was any line the first race. The only time a line starts is if the lift stops. I end up there on everyrace weekend and never race, only once have i had a real line. It's good since you can ride all day on the trails and hardly see anyone.

Also who says you can't use the lift for most of the race? I pay for a ticket i'm riding the lift. Sometiomes you let people go in front of you if they're late for a run but that's it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sorry bro gotta fight this one. Ask chromegoddess if there was any line the first race. The only time a line starts is if the lift stops. I end up there on everyrace weekend and never race, only once have i had a real line. It's good since you can ride all day on the trails and hardly see anyone.
Hmm. The only race last year when there wasn't crazy lines was that #2 race when there was peanut butter all over the course and it was pouring rain. The line was at the bike wash instead of the lift :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah echo I'm not really set up to ride or race there. I just like to see the peeps and chill. If I get a run in thats cool and I'm pretty sure the XC trails don't have any lines. I just like to see the people and take pics too.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Again, i was there for at leats 3 races last year.

I never had a real bad line because of a race, They are supposed to run the other lift when it's that bad.