Quantcast

My first flip...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OGRipper said:
Thanks, I was pretty sure about 6 months but forgot about the indentification part.

And Heidi good point, I'm pretty sure the "frowning" you mean is that you are taxed at ordinary income rates rather than capital gain rates if you own it for less than a year. I am not sure if 1031 allows deferral of ordinary income or just capital gains but it's something to check out if it's a short-term investment.

On that note, I hope that nobody out there is going to rely on tax advice from a bunch of bike geeks! Talk to a pro....
You aren't taxed AT ALL on the gain of a house sale if you are doing a series of 1031 exchanges. 1031's rock!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Heidi said:
You aren't taxed AT ALL on the gain of a house sale if you are doing a series of 1031 exchanges. 1031's rock!

Doesn't that only apply if it is capital gains from the sale of your primary residence?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
N8 said:
Doesn't that only apply if it is capital gains from the sale of your primary residence?
Nope, that's the beauty of a 1031 exchange. You just have to closely follow the rules. It's easy to lookup - the IRS code section is 1031.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
N8 said:
The sale of your primary residence after 2 years is 100% exempt from taxes REGARDLESS of what you do with the proceeds...

biggest personal tax benefit in our country...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Crashby said:
The sale of your primary residence after 2 years is 100% exempt from taxes REGARDLESS of what you do with the proceeds...

Well, that's almost true. There is a maximum amount that is exempt - $500k for a married couple. It usually doesn't matter, but then you have places where almost everyone has at least that much equity in their house.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Crashby said:

Up to a $250K limit ($500K for married filing jointly). Not that anybody is hitting those limits in Rochesta.

Anyway, if you gotta keep reinvesting in like-exchanges, how are you ever gonna buy a Porsche with the proceeds? And if you can't buy a Porsche with the proceeds, what's the point, anyway? Can you convert a 1031 to a primary residence without incurring a tax penalty?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Still seems like a hard way to make $6k to me.... I'd have to flip 7 houses to make what I do on an average new spec home.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Heidi said:
Let's be clear: You ARE taxed, but you are allowed to defer the tax until the next time you sell and (for whatever reason) don't do another exchange. If you keep exchanging you will never pay the tax.

N8, like I said earlier I'm not sure if it applies to ordinary income or just cap gains, it would be easy to check - see 1031. It's only limited to your primary residence if you are selling a primary residence - if you are selling an investment property, you can exchange it for another investment property. It works for "like kind" exchanges, so you can't sell a residence and exchange for investment property.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
Sounds like a lot of accounting and paperwork to me but might work.

What I do, is keep only what I need to operate my company in the LLC. When my savings account builds up, I transfer the cash to my personal account as a dividend. Since I have an s-corp, I pay taxes on my biz through my personal income tax.

If sued, the most anyone could collect would be the assets in the company's name which are minimal.
It's smart to keep your company a LLC. Definitely protects your personal belongings in the event of a major lawsuit.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you make 42K on a single house build? damn, that's pretty good as aren't those house prices in the 250K-300K range, and include the land?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
you make 42K on a single house build? damn, that's pretty good as aren't those house prices in the 250K-300K range, and include the land?

Specs are in the $180k-$190k range.. land included.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
N8 said:
Still seems like a hard way to make $6k to me.... I'd have to flip 7 houses to make what I do on an average new spec home.

not so good at math, are we?
$67000 -$34900 -$6500 = $25,600

and are you saying anyone of us can just start doing what your doing?? I didnt think so

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ghostrider said:
Anyway, if you gotta keep reinvesting in like-exchanges, how are you ever gonna buy a Porsche with the proceeds? And if you can't buy a Porsche with the proceeds, what's the point, anyway?
Maybe a home equity loan? If you sell a house that has appreciated considerably, you have instant equity in the new place.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
douglas said:
not so good at math, are we?
$67000 -$34900 -$6500 = $25,600

and are you saying anyone of us can just start doing what your doing?? I didnt think so

Ah... read the first post too quickly... sorry crashby. Not bad!

I know a couple of guys here who buy houses to flip but they do all work them selves and only make $8-$10k.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
N8 said:
Where do you get 6k? I plan on making 20-23k on this one...

buy - 35k
fix - 7k
misc. -8k
Sell - 68k

23k profit...

EDIT: OK - so we are all on the same page here - > Addendum:

keep in mind... all that rolled into a home equity line of credit where I will only pay 3 months of payment = = $1,300 out of pocket cash for the whole project.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
ghostrider said:
Up to a $250K limit ($500K for married filing jointly). Not that anybody is hitting those limits in Rochesta.

Anyway, if you gotta keep reinvesting in like-exchanges, how are you ever gonna buy a Porsche with the proceeds? And if you can't buy a Porsche with the proceeds, what's the point, anyway? Can you convert a 1031 to a primary residence without incurring a tax penalty?
The point is to never buy that porshe... you have your company lease anything you want, and keep it as a corporate business expense ;)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Crashby said:
The point is to never buy that porshe... you have your company lease anything you want, and keep it as a corporate business expense ;)
Odd, I never noticed your reply...anyway, looks like you've got it all figured out. You should try to get on that TV show where they document this sort of thing.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Crashby said:
I think it might make sense to have 2 companies... one to hold zero assets except for the riskier flip house, and a second to hold larger, fully insured assets... and then transfer wealth back to me as needed from these two companies(via salary or a drawing account). What's your opinion on that strategy?
actually I have been told to hold 3 corps, so that you can transfer assets prior to filing bankrupcy if necessary. That way you can shelter until you can start another corp. I am looking to do this hopefully by June, I will update then with actual scenario.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
Wow, I can't believe that you can get any house for that cheep, here in massachusetts, the piece of land that that house is on would sell for about 150,000 bucks. Realistate is insaine here. it's impossiable to get a house for under 200,000

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Finally some final "before & after" pictures... I had to wait until the window treatments were done :rolleyes: .

Here is the exterior again:

and the basement:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I Are Baboon said:
WOW Crasby....very nice job! Is the house on the market yet? I'll be surprised if it takes a week to sell.

Any pics of the backyard?
no backyard pics...

My main worker kind of flaked toward the end of the project, and I had to get a replacement crew in there. So, it took a couple extra weeks to finish. Total rehab came in at $8,100 vs. projected $6,500.

Its been officially on the market for a week now, but the first showing (to three families) will be today.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
SOLD! Got an offer last night. It took a little longer than planned... but I stuck to the higher asking price and got the full $74,900 that I wanted. I close in about 8 weeks. There is joy...:thumb: