Quantcast

my first FREERIDE bike.

kgelster

Chimp
May 22, 2009
Chicago
The Ruckus looks like the most fun, especially with that geometry.
I switched to single speed over a year ago and haven't looked back.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
i like the ruckess but it looks like itll be a b**** up hills.
i like the komodo and the ruckess. i dont really like the chucker. its too expensive.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
im gunna go with the komodo. its nice, and affordabls. i already have 110.00 (thanks grandma) and im trying to get my dad to pay half so ill have it by the end of summer. (hopefully)

hiyou

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
ruckus is more for DJ or street and komodo looks more like a Light freeride..

if you want to really free ride the heck out of it, i would say get a full suspension. Hard tails are sick also though.

I got a ruckus for DJ and a Giant reign X for freeride.

djbiker

Monkey
Sep 25, 2009
heard great things about it, really good. It also looks sick so yes, i would take that any day , only if i had the cash :(

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
trailrider I don't know how much help I can offer, but I will try.

My buddy ride's a Kona Dawg, I followed him around for years on a hardtail Trek Cross country bike, I did all the same trails as him, and was actually faster on a lot of the downhill sections, He wasn't much into the big bridge drops or jumps, but I did some of them on my old Trek and it didn't feel real comfy in the air.

I recently bought a Kona Coiler because I had liked riding his dawg and found a nice coiler used. According to Kona it is kinda a mixed bag of the dawg and the stinky.

Again I don't profess to know a ton about what makes each of these bikes slightly different. This past weekend I went riding with my buddy who has the dawg on the same trails we rode years ago in college.

Here is what I can tell you, I am WAY faster on the downhills with the coiler than I was on my hardtail (expected). The coiler jumps and lands MUCH better than the hardtail. ( i expected it to land better but didn't realize it wwas going to be so much more comfortable and flickable in the air being so much heavier than the xc hardtail)

Two problems I ran into was keeping up on the climbs, and the flats, the Dawg (which I rode a bit this weekend to let my buddy ride my new bike) has a lot more XC type geometry and he had tires that rolled much better than mine.

I've never gotten on a stinky, but it looks like it would be another step further alone than my coiler in terms of comfort in the air and landing would be similar.

I don't know what your riding style is, but I enjoy technical rocky trails that I can go down "fast". I enjoy some of the jumps and drops, but prefer the speed aspect more.

I don't know how "fast" I am, but I do know that I feel like I am going fast.

I hope this helps a little having ridden similar bikes.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
ok im bringing this thread back because due to school and having to get a new car i still dont have a freeride bike. :(
but i found this!
http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=stinky6
how does it look?
trailrider I don't know how much help I can offer, but I will try.

My buddy ride's a Kona Dawg, I followed him around for years on a hardtail Trek Cross country bike, I did all the same trails as him, and was actually faster on a lot of the downhill sections, He wasn't much into the big bridge drops or jumps, but I did some of them on my old Trek and it didn't feel real comfy in the air.

I recently bought a Kona Coiler because I had liked riding his dawg and found a nice coiler used. According to Kona it is kinda a mixed bag of the dawg and the stinky.

Again I don't profess to know a ton about what makes each of these bikes slightly different. This past weekend I went riding with my buddy who has the dawg on the same trails we rode years ago in college.

Here is what I can tell you, I am WAY faster on the downhills with the coiler than I was on my hardtail (expected). The coiler jumps and lands MUCH better than the hardtail. ( i expected it to land better but didn't realize it wwas going to be so much more comfortable and flickable in the air being so much heavier than the xc hardtail)

Two problems I ran into was keeping up on the climbs, and the flats, the Dawg (which I rode a bit this weekend to let my buddy ride my new bike) has a lot more XC type geometry and he had tires that rolled much better than mine.

I've never gotten on a stinky, but it looks like it would be another step further alone than my coiler in terms of comfort in the air and landing would be similar.

I don't know what your riding style is, but I enjoy technical rocky trails that I can go down "fast". I enjoy some of the jumps and drops, but prefer the speed aspect more.

I don't know how "fast" I am, but I do know that I feel like I am going fast.

I hope this helps a little having ridden similar bikes.
first(trailrider1) buy the stinky six, i have a coiler deluxe great bike, spend the money on the adjust on the fly seat post it will help you with your climbs, and with the seat lower on the decents ur bike will rip faster with more control.
run higher air pressures if you know you will be doing a lot of climbing, learn how to carry momentum like single speed riders,these bikes dont sprint well from a stop but once up to speed they are easy to maintain speed.
push a higher gear keep it rolling stand up more to pedal b4 u start slowing down as the grade increases, concentrate on your breathing at the begging of the climb so your not out of breath in the first 100ft.
i have been riding with guys who have hardtail, and 4" xc bikes it took me a couple months but now i hang with them on all climbs and door them on decents:weee: