Quantcast

My First Podium Finish

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
This year has been my first year of racing both mountain & road bikes, and after many close calls and bad luck I finally finished 2nd in yesterday Turkey Day Crit.

Last week I did a mountain bike race and fell from 1st to 16th in 2 laps, needless to say I was really discouraged after that race. It was really nice to end my race season with a podium finish.

Anyway: just thought I would share my story.

:thumb:

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
douglas said:
Awesome!!! :thumb:

race report?
Freaking easy!

It was a 14.3 mile Crit with 11 laps. A little over a mile per lap. Snow Valley did a great job hosting the even and the roads where in great condition. The ride was totally flat, with only a slight downhill for the finishing 1/3 mile.

A total of 50 people entered the race and 45 finished. My team did a wonderful job controlling the race pace (25mph avg). Many teams including mine tried to make a break but were easily pulled back in. For the finishing lap I had the strongest legs so my teammate pulled me as hard as he could and I nailed second with him rolling in for third. We hit 44mph for the field sprint. All 5 members of out team finished in the top 20. Alot of fun

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Reactor said:
That's one hell of a sprint. I think the fastest I've ever hit was 40, barely. Great job!
Thanks.... alot of help with the slight downhill. We had to makup about 15spots so it was all or nothing.

I hit 55mph this year at Mt. Nebo. That race was stupid hard with alot of climbs. But the downhill was great.

I wish there was somewhere close for me to test out my DH skillz on a MTB. I think it's something I would be pretty good at.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Congrats! I always hear the Snow Valley does a good job. Don't let a couple bad races get you down, you just have to find what works and stick to it.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MancilG said:
now comes the hard part, staying in shape over the winter months

no doubt, since my last xc race (11th) I have biked less than 2 hours...and zero other exercise (except volleyball but I dont count that)

I have an XC race Sunday, and may do a 5k race (run) the following week (ugh, its been many months since I ran)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:
Congrats! I always hear the Snow Valley does a good job. Don't let a couple bad races get you down, you just have to find what works and stick to it.

yeah...........and MancilG what happened that you went from 1st to 16th? (and was 16th last place?)

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
douglas said:
yeah...........and MancilG what happened that you went from 1st to 16th? (and was 16th last place?)
I was racing on some super tight single track and ended up getting past by a few other racers in my class. Then I got stuck by a expert women who I just couldn't get past, when I finally did get past her I took off with everything I had to try and catch the 3 guys in front of me. Well after a few miles of chasing I cracked.

I ended up 16th out of 28.