Quantcast

My First Problem w/my Hayes 9's

Jan 14, 2005
Olympia Washington
I bought the bike yesterday, and today it looks like the rotor is warped. When I spin the front wheel it every so slightly scrapes against one side of the caliper and produced a noise. I took the wheel off, put it back on, making sure it was tight but to no avail. I haven't ridden it since I heard the noise, do you guys have any insight or advice? Does this mean I need a new rotor?

What does the noise sound like?
If it is a faint noise it is ok. If it does not slow you down it is ok.
If it is loud and produces a lot of drag then it is bad.
One way to fix this is bending the rotor in small incraments to get it lined up.
PM me if you have further questions.

EDIT: check the spacing of the caliper :thumb:

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
My Hayes MX mechanicals do that occasionally, and I haven't had any accidents because of it. It could be the disc being slightly warped (which isn't uncommon) or one of the pads being not quite parallel with the disc. Like caputo said, it shouldn't be a problem unless it's slowing you down. Increasing the spacing between the pads is a possibility although that could decrease your power.

Another, slightly risky option is to ride down a big hill with the brake on as hard as you can safely manage (this will heat the disc like nobody's business, so be careful) and let it cool - the disc may straighten itself out. You could also dump water on it to produce pretty steam and cool it faster, but both of these options do run the slight risk of warping the rotor themselves. Maybe heat it up, clamp the warped bit in the discs, tie the brake closed and leave it for a while?

[size=-5]Disclaimer - I am not a bike tech, anything you do as a result of my suggestions is not my fault. I'm trying to help but don't take me as gospel.[/size]