Quantcast

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Uh...I guess i eat crow. I wasn't aware you could shoot 35 ducks at once.

What possible need did that guy have for shooting 35 ****ing ducks is more of my point. i guess
It wasnt just me that shot those birds. It was me and about 4 other guys. Took about 2 hours.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The ducks I showed was from 11 guys over a single morning.

On a super f'ed up note, the guy closest in this picture was just shot accidentally while fixing up his blind for the upcoming season. Some deer hunter was hunting illegally near the refuge and hit John in the arm. Almost took his life. Luckily he is pulling through.

That blind right there is the awesomest ever. Its in a span of flooded milo and corn field between the Mississippi River and the Reelfoot lake refuge.

Last edited:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Profro, thats a sweet blind! If you're ever in Ohio let me know, I'll take you on a hunt.

Sorry to hear about your buddy getting shot. There was a local story of some guys setting up goose decoys in a field. Some guy thought the decoys were real birds and shot at them from the road. Killed one of the hunters. :disgust1:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
So in all seriousness, did you guys really eat all 35 of those dead birds? If not, what do you do with the remainder? It seems like a large portion of the "harvest" would go to waste.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Most wild birds are pretty small. One person can probably eat 2 duck breasts at a single meal. I usually cook up 5-6 for a party. I probably give away a couple throughout the year to friends that like duck and either didn't get a bunch or who don't hunt.

But you have to remember that out of the 25 we shot on our trip that is only about 2 person person.

I don't shoot geese. I don't eat them and can't stand to clean them so I don't shoot them. The only exception is there are some local cleaning services that donate unwanted birds to soup kitchens or needy families.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
So in all seriousness, did you guys really eat all 35 of those dead birds? If not, what do you do with the remainder? It seems like a large portion of the "harvest" would go to waste.
Like said above, by the time you split the birds up you end up with 4 ducks and 2 geese a person. I only hunt on the weekends so I dont end up with a ton of meat. Some of the guys I go with hunt 3-4 times a week, they have to figure out how to eat or give it away.

I usually make things (like the picture I posted before) for parties or make jerky. So it goes pretty quick. I know guys that process it and use it for taco meat and sausage, so it goes quickly.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yeah, beef is always safe.
Beef would be a lot safer if we didn't choose to factory farm. Not only are cows not meant to each each other (that's right - they feed dead, sick cows back to the main population), but so many animals crammed into tight quarters supports disease growth.

Not to threadjack but I highly recommend the book Fast Food Nation if you're at all concerned about the damages factory farming does to your health and the environment.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
^^^Oh my, are you in Peta? And I mean that with all seriousness. Have you ever been to a "factory farm"? If so I would love for you to show me one where they feed the dead back to the living animals.:lighten:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Beef would be a lot safer if we didn't choose to factory farm. Not only are cows not meant to each each other (that's right - they feed dead, sick cows back to the main population), but so many animals crammed into tight quarters supports disease growth.

Not to threadjack but I highly recommend the book Fast Food Nation if you're at all concerned about the damages factory farming does to your health and the environment.
I'd like to see some written evidence of them feeding dead cows back to the population.

And those aren't the same cows used for the meat and steaks you buy in local grocery stores. USDA Grade A would not recieve that grade if these kind of practices were taking place. I mean, I DID grow up on a farm and everything...

That's why you raise your own herd and have them slaughtered by the same family your family has taken their cows to for 50+ years.
Bad beef? Never had it.

Oh, and not eating fast food definitely helps reduce the risk of consuming hastily raised beef products. If those practices drkenan take place ANYWHERE, it is only at places that raise cows for fast food and other time critical ventures.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
^^^Oh my, are you in Peta? And I mean that with all seriousness.
Kenan is an honorary member.
But I recently sent Peta a letter telling them that Kenan wears 5.10 shoes when he rides that have leather on them.
So, on our next ride, they are going to show up and throw goats blood on him. And I am going to laugh as I enjoy my ham and cheese sandwich with extra mayo.:biggrin:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Well said AlmostH, fast food beef is the nasty bottom of the barrel crap. Home raised meat is the best. . .almost as good as venison:biggrin:

In years past blood meal had been fed to cattle as a protein additive, however with all of the mad cow issues it has long since been put to a stop.

I grew up on a farm and am still in the industry. I live right next to some Five Rivers cattle feed lots. (look them up they are the largest cattle producers in the county) and there is no such practices being used at any of their operations.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
^^^Oh my, are you in Peta? And I mean that with all seriousness. Have you ever been to a "factory farm"? If so I would love for you to show me one where they feed the dead back to the living animals.:lighten:
If I were a member of PETA, would it matter to your daily life?

I've been reading up on factory farming practices for the better part of 12 years and I even cited one of my sources within my post. The book is almost entirely about the factory farming industry, written by a fast food eating, non-vegetarian author.

Read the book man - just in the same way you shoudn't care what causes I choose to support, I don't care what you eat.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'd like to see some written evidence of them feeding dead cows back to the population.

And those aren't the same cows used for the meat and steaks you buy in local grocery stores. USDA Grade A would not recieve that grade if these kind of practices were taking place. I mean, I DID grow up on a farm and everything...

That's why you raise your own herd and have them slaughtered by the same family your family has taken their cows to for 50+ years.
Bad beef? Never had it.

Oh, and not eating fast food definitely helps reduce the risk of consuming hastily raised beef products. If those practices drkenan take place ANYWHERE, it is only at places that raise cows for fast food and other time critical ventures.

Comparing your family farm to large corporate farms is apples to oranges. Again, the book that I cited in my source has all the info that you seek. He visits different factory farms - even ones that process vegetables, go into great detail about the USDA and their practices and even visits a lab where they make "natural flavors."

There was even an episode of 30 Days recently where a die-hard hunter from NC goes to SoCal to live with PETA members for 30 days. In the episode, they go to a factory farm and see the animals that are tossed out still alive and slowly dying.

Watch it here (but you have to register):

http://www.hulu.com/watch/24012/30-days-animal-rights

I don't agree with you on the hunting thing but how anyone can support factory farming is beyond me. It's a detriment to the US food supply and the environment which we all enjoy while pedaling our little bikes.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Kenan is an honorary member.
But I recently sent Peta a letter telling them that Kenan wears 5.10 shoes when he rides that have leather on them.
So, on our next ride, they are going to show up and throw goats blood on him. And I am going to laugh as I enjoy my ham and cheese sandwich with extra mayo.:biggrin:
Quit typing redneck. :D

[that's my best defense]

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
If I were a member of PETA, would it matter to your daily life?

I've been reading up on factory farming practices for the better part of 12 years and I even cited one of my sources within my post. The book is almost entirely about the factory farming industry, written by a fast food eating, non-vegetarian author.

Read the book man - just in the same way you shoudn't care what causes I choose to support, I don't care what you eat.

Thats great, I have spent the better part of 24 years in the farm industry but who is counting.

I could care less if you are a peta supporter however, I don't like what they stand for. I have had many dealings with peta coming to my farms trying to tell me how I am making all my animals suffer and how they live horrible lives.

Also you must care a little about what I eat or else you wouldn't have posted in the thread.

:twitch:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Thats great, I have spent the better part of 24 years in the farm industry but who is counting.

I could care less if you are a peta supporter however, I don't like what they stand for. I have had many dealings with peta coming to my farms trying to tell me how I am making all my animals suffer and how they live horrible lives.
Jeez - what kind of farm do you have? The kind where pigs are kept in cages so tight they can't even turn around? They're smart little bastards ya know - technically speaking, at least as smart as dogs. :lighten:

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/pigs.html

sunringlerider said:
Also you must care a little about what I eat or else you wouldn't have posted in the thread.

Fair enough - I believe the world would be a better place if everyone followed my diet - but you probably feel the same way.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
if you don't agree with factory farming, don't eat fast food. simple.

On the pork side of things, it is much messier. Companies like Smithfield are what makes people turn vegetarians after reading about their practices. There was an AWESOME article in Rolling Stone a couple years ago about Smithfield, and I won't lie, I was very close to not eating any other pork product again other than from farmers I know. Wish I could find that issue...

Last edited:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
They're smart little bastards ya know - technically speaking, at least as smart as dogs. :lighten:

Fair enough - I believe the world would be a better place if everyone followed my diet - but you probably feel the same way.

Yes they are smart little bastards but they also eat each other. . .

Couldnt agree more to some extent. Many people really need to watch what they eat on a daily basis.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
south dakota a few years ago. 56 pheasants, 42 rabbits, 8 grouse, 7 jackrabbits (these numbers are what i remember from a hazy memory so plus or minus a few)

last year

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
south dakota a few years ago. 56 pheasants, 42 rabbits, 8 grouse, 7 jackrabbits (these numbers are what i remember from a hazy memory so plus or minus a few)
Hell yeah. Pheasant hunting in SD is awesome. My dad goes every year and I have been 3 times. Its so much fun.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Skinny,

I will comment and say that it tastes great. Same goes for elk as does venison by which a big old bull elk has a little more game flavor than a cow, just like a doe and a buck.

But damn its tasty :biggrin:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
What the hell kind of godforsaken creature had 6 legs and 4 horns - 2 at each end? Thank you for killing it, whatever it was.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
elk is amazing, but antelope and pheasant take the number 1 spot followed by fresh raosted duck then wild turkey
I like zebra and Thomson's Gazelle the best.

I had a very good buffalo burger here a few weeks ago:

http://www.pearlsdiner.com/

I'd like to check out this place though I've had all the meat varieties they serve:

http://www.halfmoonrestaurant.com/

I went to this place about 8 years ago, its was decent but not amazing:

http://www.tamarind.co.ke/carnivore/index.php