Quantcast

my first Real DH bike

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
just finished the build today. I got the frame tuesday, but they accidentally left out the bottom bracket for the holzfeller crankset. I didn't really want that crank anyway, so I called up deity and they performed a miracle for me. I called wednesday and they got the crankset and sprocket to me before noon today. absolutely awsome CS as usual from Deity. I can't say enough good things about their products and CS.

here's the build so far :

m/l Chumba F5 w/ dhx5 300lb spring
06 888 rc
Cane creek S8 headset
Deity dirty thirty bars (uncut)
Deity vendetta v.2 cranks 83mm bb
Deity revolution sprocket 38t
Deity tibia seatpost
Sram x9 drivetrain
Sram 991 chain
Sram 991 11-32 cassette
Sram flack jacket cable
Avid Code magnesium 8" f/r
hope 2pc rotors f/r
azonic outlaw wheels
kenda nev 2.5 dh ghetto tubeless
atomlab aircorp pedals green
Sdg Ti fly saddle
chumba seatpost clamp with a sh!t ton of holes drilled in it.

Parking lot test feels amazing , no pedal bob noticeable (3 clicks of propedal), bottomless travel, great angles, and it bunnyhops like it has much less travel.

It weighs in at a portly 44lbs on the bathroom scale. I need to lose some weight on this thing, but I'm out of cash for now. I just wanted to get it all together before lift season ended for the year. Diablo here I come.

I'll give a ride report after tommorrow.

Last edited:

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
that is a SICK bike! congrats.
good choice on going with the Vendettas, Eric is the fukin man!

he hooked me up proper for my Sinister R9 build, so I've been rocking the Vendettas on it all season.. amazing cranks!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Nice bike! It turned out really well. It's cool how the parts match so well too.

selebrin

Chimp
Nov 23, 2007
Seattle
nice, dude!!! love the vendettas! have them on my Banshee Scratch... how do you like them in DH???

ps. Eric is the man!!

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Got home from Diablo a little bit ago, and I had a blast. I took 2 bikes as I usually do, didn't even ride my Bottlerocket. It sat chained to the fence all day like a scolded dog.

I had a couple issues with the F5 that I had to get figured out. My first time riding the bike so it was expected. first, the chain runs really close to the swingarm even with a 38t. It took a little more velcro than I had anticipated to quiet it down, but now it is pretty much silent though even the roughest stuff. I was having a little problem with the chain getting sucked in between the tire and the swingarm. I adjusted the chainline out about 4mm and problem solved.

I thought I'd be spending the day tinkering with my suspension but I didn't even touch it. I dialed in about 3 clicks of compression on the fork and took it for a spin. I had already set the rear shock during my parking lot test yesterday and was pretty satisfied with it. I'm sure I bottomed the rear out a few times but I never felt it.

I was faster than ever before today. That's saying something, because I was riding injured. I couldn't pedal full force or pull up hard on the bars due to a little mishap the other night. The bike corners extremely well, and jumps well too. It's very flickable and easy to pump speed out of things. The suspension pretty much feels bottomless, and it pedals well without any noticeable bob. It brakes very well and maintains a fully active suspension when braking.

I do have one gripe. the brake caliper pivot twists to the side when braking, causing a loud hum, and a little vibration. I tried switching the brake arm to the other side of the pivot, and it didn't noticeably improve. This twisting is due to the use of a normal cartridge bearing in the brake pivot. cartridge bearings do not perform well for side to side loads. Once I find out the size dimensions of the bearing I will source a needle bearing unit out to replace the regular one.

All in all. It's quiet, fast, plush and pedals good, what more can you ask for. I love this bike! I can't wait to race next year.

selebrin

Chimp
Nov 23, 2007
Seattle
oh my god man!!!

i posted in this thread long time ago and forgot about it now... was checking my profile today, found a subscription to this thread and was shocked!!!

here's my bike!!! (just finished it last week and still need some upgrades)

and yes!!! THIS IS MY FIRST REAL DH BIKE!!!

CHEERS BRO!!!

selebrin

Chimp
Nov 23, 2007
Seattle
it's awesome!!! super adjustable, plush and has a pretty cool sound! and it's really easy to set up!!! and yes I LOOOVE MY CHUMBA!!!:cheers: