Quantcast

my first surgery

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
well i have my frist surgery tomorrow morning. i tore the tendon in my left shoulder from a bad crash back in january. there doing the surgery orthscropicly (sp?) and making 3 to 5 holes in my shoulder. has anybody else had something like this done? im just wondering about how long it will take me untill i can get back on the bike. the orthopedist said it will be 2-3 months untill i had most of my movement back, but thats really all he said

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Post-op, be sure to milk the surgery for everything it's worth.

"Can you get me a hamburger? My shoulder is killing me..."

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I am not familiar with the surgery but Im sure you will be just fine!!!

good luck, and make sure you give it pleenty of time to heal

splat

Nam I am
I have had surgury on both my shoulders in the last 5 years. I was apprehensive and put it off on both them , after it was done I asked why did I wait so long .

buit you'll find it is the 80/20 rule ,

the first 80% of the recovery takes the first 20% of the time , the last 20% takes 80 % of the time.

My first surgury, where they actually had to open up my shoulder ( torn cuff) took a little over 6 weeks till I was Back in action . my 2nd surgury on my other shoulder which was nothing but the scope , I was riding again in 3 weeks.
your mileage may vary and it also sounds like you have more damage than I did.

good luck!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My husband had the same surgery and he was back up and riding in no time. He had his in November (a few days before turkey-day) and was riding his snowmobile right after X-mas (in a sling and probably shouldn't have been, but was feeling fine). You're probably going to be more sore from all of the PT, but it's well worth it...he has made a full recovery!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If its anyhting like knee surgery, keep moving it. The more you move, the less scar tissue will build up. Think of it like dirt getting mixed in with bearings if you prefer bike-speak.

Good luck!