Quantcast

My fit session results: I'm short

yeah yeah. I knew it. Didn't want to admit it. The bottom line is based on my riding style and preferences, I should really be on an MTB with a top tube between 20-22" (Ideally, around right around 21). AND because of my weight I don't need a 5" travel bike - 4" is enough.

So here's the short list (pun intended) of possible new frames:

Titus MotoLite (this one has the edge because it's adjustable between 4-5" incase I decide that's what I want) - top tube 21.3"

Giant Trance W (4" travel) - top tube 21.3"

Intense 5.5 (5"travel) Top tube 21"

Trek Remedy (5" travel) Top tube 21.8"

Trek Fuel WSD (4") Top Tube 20.9

This also rules out the 575 – Which I was seriously considering. Now of course I could just go for it and suffer through the longer reach – but I don’t think in the long run I’ll be happy 

I can't wait to hear your thoughts :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Have you been unhappy with the fit of bikes in the past, is that why you did this? I'm probably not fit right to either of my bikes, but I enjoy the hell out of them regardless.

I'm curious how they decided that you only needed 4" of travel. Could you go wiht more travel but get a softer spring/put less air pressure in teh suspension to accomdate your lighter weight?

I say Intense, Titus, Yeti, everything else, in that order. Unless you are willing to say the hell with what they think... then go with the Yeti - it's an amazing bike (though I'm just a wee bit biased).

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Just pick one!

Someone's waiting for the Blur... :sneaky:

I would go Motolite!

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
MtnBikerChk said:
yeah yeah. I knew it. Didn't want to admit it. The bottom line is based on my riding style and preferences, I should really be on an MTB with a top tube between 20-22" (Ideally, around right around 21). AND because of my weight I don't need a 5" travel bike - 4" is enough.

So here's the short list (pun intended) of possible new frames:

Titus MotoLite (this one has the edge because it's adjustable between 4-5" incase I decide that's what I want) - top tube 21.3"

Giant Trance W (4" travel) - top tube 21.3"

Intense 5.5 (5"travel) Top tube 21"

Trek Remedy (5" travel) Top tube 21.8"

Trek Fuel WSD (4") Top Tube 20.9

This also rules out the 575 – Which I was seriously considering. Now of course I could just go for it and suffer through the longer reach – but I don’t think in the long run I’ll be happy 

I can't wait to hear your thoughts :D

Turner Flux fits the bill too. 4" bike but throw a Talas RLC on there and you're golden.

jacksonpt said:
Have you been unhappy with the fit of bikes in the past, is that why you did this?
YEP.

I hate the low bottom bracket on my blur so I was thinking about getting a new frame. Then the more I thought about it, I'm not really happy with the fit of it at all! He made lots of changes (that I can't wait to try - even silly things like moving the cleats in my shoes).

The way it is right now, I can probably make it better with an even shorter stem than I have now (and might try it in the meantime). But the bottom bracket thing blows.

oh and re: the travel - I could go with a 5" for sure - but he's saying 4" would be fine. My list has a number of 5" bikes. This way, I have more to choose from.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MtnBikerChk said:
YEP.

I hate the low bottom bracket on my blur so I was thinking about getting a new frame. Then the more I thought about it, I'm not really happy with the fit of it at all! He made lots of changes (that I can't wait to try - even silly things like moving the cleats in my shoes).

The way it is right now, I can probably make it better with an even shorter stem than I have now (and might try it in the meantime). But the bottom bracket thing blows.

oh and re: the travel - I could go with a 5" for sure - but he's saying 4" would be fine. My list has a number of 5" bikes. This way, I have more to choose from.
Well, there's not a lot you can do about the BB. The rest of teh stuff should be somewhat adjustable. And does it bother you on the trail, or only when you are sitting in front of the computer thinking about how your bike fits? There are lots fo things that bother me when I'm typing away on RM - but out on the trail, none of it matters because, in the grand scheme of things, none of them prevent me from having fun. And that's all that really matters to me.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
Well, there's not a lot you can do about the BB. The rest of teh stuff should be somewhat adjustable. And does it bother you on the trail, or only when you are sitting in front of the computer thinking about how your bike fits? There are lots fo things that bother me when I'm typing away on RM - but out on the trail, none of it matters because, in the grand scheme of things, none of them prevent me from having fun. And that's all that really matters to me.
Her bottom bracket and big ring take a beating on our rocky trails. She certainly enjoys the rides, but there is always room to enjoy it even more.

Plus new bikes are fun. :)

jacksonpt said:
People always question me when I start to talk about fit. No one realizes that a small change to a person who is 5'10" is a MONSTER change to someone who is 5'2" - And of course I realize there are shorter riders than me out there for sure!

....and no, none of it prevents me from having fun. I deal with the bottom bracket and I pedal through my elongated reach. But now I have the chance to get it near perfect. So why not?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Do you actually use the big ring or could you swap it out for a smaller bash ring? That might alleviate some ground clearance issues.

As far as BB height, search for something made on the East Coast. Perhaps Sinisters 5" bike when it is released. East Coast bikes typically have a higher bottom bracket.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MtnBikerChk said:
....and no, none of it prevents me from having fun. I deal with the bottom bracket and I pedal through my elongated reach. But now I have the chance to get it near perfect. So why not?
gotcha - that's what I was tyring to find out... if it was a psychological thing, or if it would actually make a difference on the trail.

I was thinking a Rush might be perfect, but it looks like the TT is a bit long at 22" and change.

I'd go with the Titus, then put an 07 TALAS on it. Lots of adjability, a hellofa bike, and it should all fit in your fit specs.

Oh, and FWIW... MBA recently did an article on WS bikes. I'm not sure if there's anything to WSD or not, but if the geometry is more in line with what you are looking for, I can see if I still have the issue.

Polandspring88 said:
Do you actually use the big ring or could you swap it out for a smaller bash ring? That might alleviate some ground clearance issues.

As far as BB height, search for something made on the East Coast. Perhaps Sinisters 5" bike when it is released. East Coast bikes typically have a higher bottom bracket.
thanks - you're not the first person to recommend that!

jacksonpt said:
Oh, and FWIW... MBA recently did an article on WS bikes. I'm not sure if there's anything to WSD or not, but if the geometry is more in line with what you are looking for, I can see if I still have the issue.
I think my femur is long enough that I don't necessarily need WS - but that's what the XS moto lite calls itself - so we'll see. I'll try whatever gets put in front of me LOL.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Careful with a shorter stem..it can really ruin the steering and twitchiness.

Of course, I'm biased towards the 575 :)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Having 2 Titus Racer-X's (is it X'i..?) I can say that Titus more than lives up to its reputation for fit and finish.

MizN8 has a Trek Fuel and she hates it, opting for my old Stumpjumper over it.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
MtnBikerChk said:
that's what he said - better to go with the shorter TT and the longer stem.

This is a very personal preference...I actually prefer a longer top tube and shorter stem. I like a quicker steering bike...I feel much more in control at speed (allows me to weigh my front tire on corners without being way over the front end) and on steep descents. I would think that a quicker steering bike on the tight East Coast trails would be an advantage.

But like I said, it really comes down to personal preference

Good luck in your search...Buying a new bike is always such a fun experience.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
MtnBikerChk said:
oh and re: the travel - I could go with a 5" for sure - but [I]he's saying 4" would be fine[/I]. My list has a number of 5" bikes. This way, I have more to choose from.
That 'logic' is off IMO. Did the bikes he showed you match what you were looking for or were you told what you wanted?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For one thing, a 2 inch range for top tube length seems very wide. I think a range of one inch is a good fit, optimally 21 inches, then maybe a half inch either way.

Another thing is that cleat position is critical, possibly more so than stem or saddle position. While you can move around on your bike while you ride, cleat position never varies. So having it set correctly is very critical.

Finally, I think a measurement which does not come up often enough is front center, which is from the bars to the bb. I noticed almost all my bikes are identical, from my dh bike to my road.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm sure MBC told him about her riding style, she loves roots and rocks, but isn't a big air catcher. She's got mad skills through steep stuff and rock gardens so a 4 or 5 inch frame with a bottom bracket designed for the trails we ride around here makes a ton of sense for her in my opinion.

The nice thing about the Motolite is the option to run 4 or 5" of travel - pair it up with a similar fork and you've got one helluva sweet combination on your hands.

The 5.5 from Intense ain't too shabby either. MB Action has a review of that bike (for what their reviews are worth) and they give it very high marks as well.

I think it is cool that the fit session verified some of your thinking and now you've got a great set of numbers and recommendations with which to continue on in your quest for that Blur replacement. :cool:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
I suppose I could ride my rock hopper hard tail for a bit if the price were right ;)
Nope that's not what I was getting at.

My crystal ball tells me that Jozz will be on something different than his Blur when he rides this weekend at Monkeyfest. :devil:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hopefully Jozz will give us a review in the new RM review section. :)

Oh yeah -and I think you should resurrect the Rockhopper MBC! Hardtail pride and all that crap. ;) :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
Nope that's not what I was getting at.

My crystal ball tells me that Jozz will be on something different than his Blur when he rides this weekend at Monkeyfest. :devil:
Isn't Echo bringing him a bike :confused:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Joe Pozer said:
This is a very personal preference...I actually prefer a longer top tube and shorter stem. I like a quicker steering bike...I feel much more in control at speed (allows me to weigh my front tire on corners without being way over the front end) and on steep descents. I would think that a quicker steering bike on the tight East Coast trails would be an advantage.

But like I said, it really comes down to personal preference

Good luck in your search...Buying a new bike is always such a fun experience.
:stupid: I also prefer a longer TT and shorter stem. unlike what Heidi stated, I feel more in control with a shorter stem.

you should also take a look at Iron Horse bikes - they tend to have short TT's.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
jacksonpt said:
I'd go with the Titus, then put an 07 TALAS on it. Lots of adjability, a hellofa bike, and it should all fit in your fit specs.
:stupid:

I'd ditch the big ring for a bashguard for good measure. If you need more "top end" run say a 24-36-bash and 11-34 cogs.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
MMike said:
Yeah....travel is not a function of body weight. If the bike is sprung correctly, you will use your travel......

I say these guys are chumps. You should burn the place down.
I think it has more to do with physical size than body weight.
You can adjust springs & valving to accomidate low weight, but if you have short arms/legs you will die trying to get an 8" travel bike off the ground.
You would basically be just hanging on and running into stuff (not fun).

For somone really short, I would recommend 6" of travel for dh style stuff. You can get some really nice, smaller frames and single crown forks that would fit your body much better than full on dh.

Anything more and you will literally wear yourself out trying to move the thing around. Just keep it proportional.

Oh, and if given the chance, give a properly sized bike a try. Most people don't realize how much of a difference small setup changes can make to your power, controll, and comfort.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I'd lean towards the Titus Motolite. Since they widened the rear chainstays I haven't heard a complaint about the bike. My wife loves her pink Racer-x, and I love the Switchblade I have. The only con is I've heard Titus's customer support has gone downhill a bit.

The first three all look good.