Quantcast

My fit session results: I'm short

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Biscuit said:
I think it has more to do with physical size than body weight.
You can adjust springs & valving to accomidate low weight, but if you have short arms/legs you will die trying to get an 8" travel bike off the ground.
You would basically be just hanging on and running into stuff (not fun).

For somone really short, I would recommend 6" of travel for dh style stuff. You can get some really nice, smaller frames and single crown forks that would fit your body much better than full on dh.

Anything more and you will literally wear yourself out trying to move the thing around. Just keep it proportional.
Definitely! I found that out on my first DH bike...my new one fits SO much better :heart:

As for bikes MBC -- I too dislike the BB height on my jekyll for our technical, rocky & rooty trails and was quite interested in the 575 after having ridden one (first a medium that was too big and then a small that fit like a dream--I am 5'4" though). I also drooled over the 5.5 last week (a guy had one on our local trails and stopped to chat a little about it) and (from what I hear) you can't go wrong with the titus. If you don't end up with something sooner, we have a demo on the Sinister bikes on September 1st on our local trails...they could be worth a look as well.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
The Rocky ETSX is sweet, and it has a high BB height. Myself, I love my Yeti 575. It doesn't feel like 5 3/4 inches travel climbing, only descending.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Acadian said:
:stupid: I also prefer a longer TT and shorter stem. unlike what Heidi stated, I feel more in control with a shorter stem.
Ditto here. Maybe it's that I've gotten used to DH bikes, but a shorter stem feels more stable steering to me. Plus I like that balance point where you can weight the front but not be tipping too far forward on technical stuff.

being the good little accountant I am - I made a spreadsheet :)

I added the Heckler and the Ironhorse - although they are probably not seriously in the running. I'm also shying away from the Intense because of the price. This Friday is Pedro's fest where I hope to make a decision and stop driving myself - and all of you - nuts.

The measurements at the bottom:
The standard column represents what we came to decide on as comfortable on the fit bike. So under each bike, I've calculated the stem length based on the relative top tube length. All this inches to MM crap is killing me LOL.

oh - and the NOW section represents what I think I'm running now on the blur (have to measure).

Attachments

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MtnBikerChk said:
YEP.

oh and re: the travel - I could go with a 5" for sure - but he's saying 4" would be fine. My list has a number of 5" bikes. This way, I have more to choose from.
It depends on the type of riding you're doing, if it's mostly smooth trails 4" is fine, if you want to mix in some rocky terrain 5" is better.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
altagirl said:
Ditto here. Maybe it's that I've gotten used to DH bikes, but a shorter stem feels more stable steering to me. Plus I like that balance point where you can weight the front but not be tipping too far forward on technical stuff.

Ditto # 456345 for getting the reach right with the top tube and shorter stem.

Especially if you are into riding more techical trails, where your body weight/COG need to be over your BB more so then on your bars.