Quantcast

my Five Ten impact 2 low shoe review

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I have spent some time wearing my new 5:10 shoes and wanted to share my expriences being the best riding shoe I have ever worn.

First impressions:

Right when I took them out of the box I knew it was built for durability. Beefed up in all places possible. it looked rugged and felt it to. The built in tounge is a nice feature as I found it to make the shoe more simplier and more rugged

Wearing them:

as soon as I put them on they felt a little stiff as like a new work boot. this I expected as it is a tough shoe. But comfort wise it felt great and you really just want to wear them all the time

sticky to the max:

First off let me tell you I'm using the crank borthers 5050 pedals with the screw pins. When I first got on the bike I tried to twist my shoe to see if all the hype on how sticky the shoes are is true and let me tell you it is. It felt like my shoe was locked in the pedal and as soon as I started peadling I could really put all the power into my pedals as if I was cliped in. My feet stayed firmally in place when hitting the rougher stuff and gave me a boast of confidence as I knew my feet were there to stay.

Try them!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think the biggest difference is on jumps, or places where you need to lift the bike over something... I only noticed when I tried switching back to normal shoes from 510's, but you can really lift the bike up under you in a way you can't with normal skate shoes or whatever. When I tried normal shoes again, I found my feet lifting off the pedals in places which was pretty disconcerting. I reckon 510's + grippy pedals = somewhat of a midpoint between flats and clips.

My only complaint is that they're pretty bulky / overbuilt / heavy, but once you smash your feet into a few rocks and come out laughing you appreciate it pretty quickly.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I found that mine (07's) didn't have the durability you mention.

The inside ankle (outside of the shoe) wore down very quickly where it rubs against the cranks (I must ride with my feet on the inside of the pedals or something) and the sewed seams came apart as well.

I know the soles are super grippy (softer compound), but they wore down within the season to leave a smooth worn patch where it sits on the pedal. Still grippy on pedals, but not so good for general wearing.

Basically my 5.10s lasted a single season. They were damn nice and a very good shoe, but I think I may look into getting another (ie DCs) shoe re-soled with the 5.10 sticky rubber for next year.

It felt like my shoe was locked in the pedal and as soon as I started peadling I could really put all the power into my pedals as if I was cliped in. My feet stayed firmally in place when hitting the rougher stuff and gave me a boast of confidence as I knew my feet were there to stay.

Try them!
My feet don't feel locked in with mine like you described, but they are way more sticky then other shoes no doubt. I do ride clipped in a lot though and that may skew my impression of them. If my technique is off my foot still comes off the pedal.