Quantcast

My girlfriend wants to try dh...

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Gonna get her a Mad Max 2 this week, but she needs some pads too. I see a lot of women are going with Dianese pads.

Any suggestions? sizing too? She's about 5'4" and 115 lbs. Any probs w/ chest protector sizing? She's a C cup.

Also, which of the many different Dianese knee/shin guards are best? I see theres 3 different types.

Thanks ladies! :cool:

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
make sure it is what she wants and that the bike fits her! Try out different sizes and bikes to make sure she finds one she likes.

Also don't pressure her to much and make sure she enjoys what she is about to get into!!!!!

I wear 661 armor. just because I am a poor college student, but they seem to fit nice.

Good luck!!

Tuff*Stuff

Chimp
Jun 23, 2003
North Bend
I wear Dainese. It is costly but totally worth it. The Dainese is very comfortable.

I have the Bibbed Lowers, which covers the shin, knee and hips. I am getting the safety Jacket with the soft chest this coming week (I felt it was more comfortable on the chest).

Armor is defintely best tried on. And if she decides to go with the Dainese make sure she gets a larger size shorts cuz gher paddding makes my sorts to tight!!!!!

Good luck and we are here if she needs some encouragement!!!

TS

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
yeah, definately send her in here if she needs a little extra ooomphfff or some female-type encouragement. (not that your encouragement isn't good...just that sometimes it helps when it comes from one of us too)

as far as protection goes, if you can foot the dianese bill, i'd say that's the top choice. always best to have her try anything on before deciding though.

good luck. looking forward to news of her 1st ride.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
OK, well the bike is sorted out. She started on a dept. store Mongoose and then started riding my trail bike (RM Switch) but it was way too tall for her. Since I've been paying more attention to my DH bike, I sold the Switch frame and got her a Balfa 2 Step DH. It has a much lower top tube for her and 7" travel.

She doesnt have any knee/elbow/chest pads yet though. So I want to get some soon. She's thinking about entering the next Platty race which is May 2nd.

It seems Dianese seems to be the popular choice among the female crowd as far as fit goes. I dont think I'd be able to have her try any on though. No shop around here stocks the stuff. I figure I can always return it for another size though.

The "soft" chest protector... is that the Gladiator? Do they still make it? Where did you find it? I've been looking and all I see is the Next jacket and Safety jacket which both have the hard plastic front. What size do you recommend given the #'s I posted above? I believe Dainese has x-small and small size jackets.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I would recommend going with the one with the hard chest protector. It's a pretty vulnerable area of your body, and taking a stick or rock to the chest is just not pleasant, let alone dangerous!!! (And we all know how much we fall doing this crazy sport ;) )

Oh yea, she'd probably be a small would be my guess. I think DHDiva is closer to her size though.....what size are you running DHDiva?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm running small in the safety jacket and the bibs. I would also recommend getting the hard chest plate. Like VG said, it's a pretty important part of your body. I've used both jackets (with and without the plastic chest plate) and I prefer with, as I think it offers more protection (I have tested this extensively the last couple of years ;) ).

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
DH Diva, if you dont mind can you give me some numbers to compare? My gf is 5'4", 115ish and C cup. I'm thinking a small?

Also, any place I can get a Safety jacket for less than $299?

Thanks for all the help so far! :D

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm 5'4", 130, and more of a B. The suit fits me comfortably, not too tight of a fit, and I actually think the chest area is a little big on me. So if your girl is a little larger in that department, it should fit just fine. The cool thing about the last couple years Dainese is the new material is very versitile. The old stuff wasn't as stretchy and didn't give you as even of a fit. The newer material (more like loops than cloth with little vent holes), gives you a more universal fit. It stretches comfortably where it needs too, but stays in place where you need it to also. I'm not sure about prices though. I was fortunate enough to purchase mine through our shop at cost because I work there doing special sales and fill in work.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I agree that the new Dainese material is very comfy and they'll last quite a while if you take care of them properly. Make sure you lube the zippers occasionally so they stay moving freely. (When that salty sweat gets corroded on there it's hard to get off....trust me, I know!!!! :blah: )