Quantcast

my "home" trails - lots of pics

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Had a great ride last night... legs were a bit heavy at times, but I rode the hardest I have so far this year. I really pushed myself and the bike, and it felt great.

It was a solo ride, so I don't have any action shots, but I took a lot of trail pics to give you all a feel for what I ride most of the time.

First section of trail runs along a creek - lots of hardpack with just enough roots/rocks to keep you honest, and a few creek crossings to stay cool in the summer. This is a very fast section of trail.

This is a trail called "mud flats". Normally it's a sloppy mess all year long, but the spring has been sooo dry that this trail is in very good shape already. From start to finish and in both directions, it is probably the best trail in the park. Other trails are more fun in one direction or in a certain section, but this is the best one all-around, IMO.

Now onto Washout Rd. It used to be an access road, but spring melt/runoff has carved it out enough so it's not used anymore. Riding on the "road" part is rough and rocky - a great ride down, but a bruiser ride up. The trail actually runs along the left side of the "road" along the lip. It's kinda hard to see. At the top of the pic, as the trail turns right, it gets narrow, rooty, and technical. It's a good climb.

This is Rollercoaster. Riding up it is a bear, riding down is fast, flowy, and fun. I was too busy riding to take many pics though. It ends in a creek crossing that has to be reworked every spring... the creek erodes the bank to near vertical - it's unwalkable, nevermind rideable. Right now it's in pretty good shape.

another angle

This is Main St. - it is the main access road that runs through the park. Normally I try to stay off access roads as they are pretty boring, but this is a good ride. it's rocky and steep enough to make you work. Riding down it is a blast as well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Wow man looks sweet!

How many miles you got there?
Not much... I'd guess only about 7 or so. But what it lacks in mileage, it makes up for in quality... some very cool stuff out there, and if you string the trails together properly, you get a hell of a loop.

They are about 3 miles from my house, so it makes for an excellent post-work ride. On the rare occasion that I have 3 hours to ride, I go elsewhere, but most of the time, Jones Park offers a damn good 90 minutes of riding.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
looks great! I loooove pine tree groves!
I was going to point out to Jackson that you would like to ride there.

FYI, your 555th post is coming up today!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
I was going to point out to Jackson that you would like to ride there.

FYI, your 555th post is coming up today!

ooh! I'll make a little wish! It'l probably have something to do with N8 getting audited...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mike B. said:
Nice pics jackson, I thought that was Jones. I'll have to get a tour one of these days.
Any time. Because of how short the trail system is, I'm not sure it's worth the drive, but it's your call.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
pixelninja said:
Really nice looking trails! 3 miles from your house, eh? Very nice.
yea - all other trail systems are at least 30 minutes from my house, which is a PITA for me, so having a quality trail system so close is great.