Quantcast

My homemade gearbox (pics)

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
Here is a little work in progress report on a gearbox I have been building recently.

Its nothing revolutionary (very similar to Petespeed, and the system on Metzy's carbon bike), but its simple, and easy to build in the home workshop with handtools (and a lathe).

Here is the xpost from farkin.net

Update 24/8/07

Photos have been a while, unfortunately. Photobucket was closed for maintenance.

Today I machined the bearing cups, tapped the threads, drilled the side plates and rough cut the inner plates. I haven't any pictures of that yet though, maybe tomorrow. I'm going to try and machine the thread on the collar to accept a BMX clutch tomorrow. I got a hold of some fresh aluminium bar stock, so I should be able to do a lot more machining in the upcoming weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Update 8/7/07

Hey guys,

just a bit of an update on the gearbox project. I have some of the more basic pieces machined now. Its taking a bloody long time, because I don't have access to the machines very often, or for very long at a time (meaning, consequently, that most of the time I do have is wasted on setting everything up).

The parts I've completed thus far

1. The top cog assembly. Basically an old shimano freehub body bored out, drilled, and then bolted (grubscrews) and loctited onto an aluminium spindle. I found it was a much simpler way of connecting the cassette to the spindle, rather than the alternative of replicating the cassette interface on the aluminium with a mill.

2. The outer plates - self explanatory. 5mm checker plate, because thats what I was given by some generous local companies. These plates will have two ~50mm holes at the centerpoint of those radius'. I'll bolt two toleranced 'bearing cups' on the outside face of those holes, so that the bearings won't twist or pop out.

3. Bottom/drive spindle. Basically an aluminium spindle with a flat face, and a groove machine in that face. An outer collar floats on this spindle, maintaing positive drive with two bolts protruding through a 'key' which matches the flat face, and finally into the machined groove. A cog will obviously be attatched to this collar at a later stage. The purpose of allowing lateral float of the collar is to maintain a straight chainline.

Build Note This bottom spindle will now change, (no fiddly key, just two bolts in a trench) because frankly, this one is a POS. Tolerances are visibly loose and floppy. Picture shows roughly what will end up on the final prototype. I'm going to make two 'collars' also - one to carry BMX clutch (to shift without pedalling, while coasting) and one for a standard 22t ring (simpler, no shifiting advantage.

And finally, som CAD pictures of what it will look like (roughly, few exceptions) when its done.

Things that will change are:

Width - the finished model will be about half as wide as the CAD model suggests

The side plates will be reduced to 5mm width with bearing cups, rather than 10mm alloy (to save weight)

Those guide pins for the derailleur system will change position

The whole thing will have a sort of metal skin sealing everything with sump lubrication.

Update 4/5/07

Some preliminary cad pictures of what I'm aiming for. (material renderings are just to show different parts, real project will not be made from wood and ceramics, as seen in the drawing)

Basically, the white shaft without a sprocket (will have a cassette on the threaded section for gear variance) is powered via a chain driven from the bottom sprocket, which slides along the hex shaft to maintain a straight chain line. Gear shifts are controlled by the center chain box, which houses two sprung jockey wheels to counter chain slack. The chainbox slides laterally on the two rails, its position is controlled by standard shifting cable+shifter.

Attachments

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i 5th that, farkin is an Australian site i will never use again. please just post the pix in an [ i m g ] [ / i m g ] format so we can all view them

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Just register over there, it takes all of about a minute. Its a cool site...

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
As far as I can see, the pictures have been uploaded from my hard drive as 'attatched thumbnails' at the bottom of my post ever since jeenyus pointed it out....is no one else seeing these?

4th it....what a pita it is to have to subscribe just to look at a picture or three. No thanks.
PITA? Dude, its a public forum. I've tried to upload the images to ridemonkey's server (I can see them in my first post, it seems no one else can) so don't act as though I'm under some obligation to provide you with something, and should be hopping to it straight away - I have better things to do than please internet randoms 24/7, such as sleeping, while 15 guys in your timezone complain about the same issue. Its old.

Could somebody help me out as to why the thumbnails I have attatched (and can see in my post) via the 'manage attatchments' format are not showing up?

Dolt

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
Fly,

Pretty cool your fabricating the gearbox. Are you thinking of making it fit on any bike or just your own?

Dolt.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i can see the attachments but you have 4 links and only 3 pictures up, can you post the CAD pictures so we can see what the final product will look like.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
when you say homade geardbox we expect it to be completly done not just a cassette on a a stick. how does it work? do you plan on building a frame?

You know what I find funny? That you have posted more times than anyone else in this thread, on what is, in your terminology, just a cassette on a stick. Tell me why is that?

You puerilely critique my work (which is in its infancy, as even an infant could tell) yet you have nothing to show of your own efforts, that we would have to assume (from your derrogatory remarks) are leagues ahead of my own.

Oh, wait. Allow me to apologise - you do have something in the pipeline...some CAD pictures that you plan on showing...sooner or later. You know, that sounds like a bogus claim to me...but why not prove me wrong? I actually have a far more sophisticated gearbox in the works (CAD renderings) as well, with an array of epicyclic gears, centifugal clutch...the works, but funnily enough, I'm starting on a simpler project first, to work out flaws, problems, alterations and hone my machining skills before I attempt something far more complex; with the propensity to end up a far greater waste of time and money than this first version.

Don't like how I operate? Great, do us all a favour and fvck off.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
hey fly, once again mad props for the homemade ingenuity :thumb:

you're your frankensteined 5th el / mantiou holding up?
Thanks dude. 5th's going really well! No problems whatsoever, really reliable (touch wood). I almost want to pull it apart, and put some more compression shims in, but I cbf with getting oily, and don't have the time to rebuild it right now. I finally have some new bars coming to replace the festy XC flat bars I experimented with, so I might even get out riding on it again soon.

ok, more pics please, how are you bolting it to the bike?

DHS - Unfortunately the frame it ends up on will either have to have lugs welded on, or a frame custom built around the box. Depending on how well it works, I might make a new front end for my vp-free.

There will be an outer casing, which attatches to the sidplates, and has mounting holes drilled in it to attatch to corresponding points on the frame.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I like it. I cant wait until more frame companies start making gearbox bikes. I think since the birth of the Honda more companies realized this is the way of the future. Atleast for DH in my opinion. That and it will give me a reason to buy a new frame in a couples of years. Whats better then that?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
wow props for taking a serious project like this beyond just a couple of CAD pictures.

First, a question: Did I miss your explanation of how the derailling mechanism was going to work?

Second, a comment: That diamond plate box might give you some trouble. The way you have things setup right now with your two axles and two pins nearly co-linear, that box is not going to be very rigid. It is tough tell for sure and I am too lazy to do much more than arm chair quarter back, but it looks like you might get some twisting (particularly when you are in either your highest or lowest gears). How much and how important the twisting will be is strongly dependent on the length of the axles and pins...

Two suggestions to eliminate twisting: 1) when you construct the outer casing do so such that it will add extra rigidity to your two plates and/or 2) use 4 (maybe 6) more pins between your plates closer to outer edges of your plates. i.e two rows of two (or three) along the top and bottom of the box.

Once again, great work so far.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
wow props for taking a serious project like this beyond just a couple of CAD pictures.

First, a question: Did I miss your explanation of how the derailling mechanism was going to work?

Second, a comment: That diamond plate box might give you some trouble. The way you have things setup right now with your two axles and two pins nearly co-linear, that box is not going to be very rigid. It is tough tell for sure and I am too lazy to do much more than arm chair quarter back, but it looks like you might get some twisting (particularly when you are in either your highest or lowest gears). How much and how important the twisting will be is strongly dependent on the length of the axles and pins...

Two suggestions to eliminate twisting: 1) when you construct the outer casing do so such that it will add extra rigidity to your two plates and/or 2) use 4 (maybe 6) more pins between your plates closer to outer edges of your plates. i.e two rows of two (or three) along the top and bottom of the box.

Once again, great work so far.
Thanks for the positive comments.

I think I left out the derailling mechanism altogether in my explanation.

A chain runs between those two gold plates in the CAD pictures, and then over and under those two jockey wheels that are bolted to a sprung, pivoting sub-plate assembly between that again (to take up chain slack). Those gold plates then simply move side to side, with a standard derailleur cable and shifter. A standard shifter only lets out a small amount of cable though, so it will be attatched to a stepped shaft (two different diameters) to effectively 'gear up' cable movement.

As for twisting, you're right about that. I should have shown the outer casing, but didn't for demonstration purposes. Basically its thin sheet metal (~1mm thick) wrapping around the two plates with a thin sandwich of some sort of maleable sealant in between (instant gasket or the like). On top of that wrapping are two big X shaped 5mmaluminium cut outs (above and below) that bolt to either side plate.

Like this:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
For the input shaft, you might see some binding under load. I'd see if you can't get some square stock for that and have the cog ride on four sets of needle bearings, sort of like a c-dale headshock.