Hot wort in, cool wort out:

RDWHAH:

All done:

Pitching the yeast:

Add the airlock:

Second batch, bourbon porter:

Weighed out hop additions:

Through the chiller again:

the first batch, smoked porter, on the right after 15 hours, the second batch on the left, bourbon porter, after 13 hours:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
:beerjam:

How does that wort chiller work? Looks much different than the submerging one you gave me.
It is much different, it's a counterflow chiller. The construction of it is such that the wort flows through a copper coil inside the garden hose and water flows through the garden hose outside the copper in the opposite direction (counterflow). As the water circulates it draws heat out of the wort so you get cold water in > hot water out and hot wort in > cold wort out. You can adjust (to a degree) the temperature of the wort coming out by regulating the flow of cold water in. I've been in a position to pitch a lager yeast at 50 degrees immediately after chilling with this thing but by turning down the water flow a little I can keep it just warm enough that it's ready for an ale yeast @ 70 degrees.

The immersion chiller you have is an inexpensive way of getting the job done quicker than submerging the kettle in an ice bath but this really speeds things up. It's not a necessity but if you have a kettle with a spigot like mine, so you can flow directly from the kettle to the fermenter, it's a convenient luxury.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
NEAT. The one you gave me certainly gets the job done, although I destroyed the threads on the faucet putting an adapter on. :think: Wife isn't too happy about that.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Looking good!
I cooked up a Dark Porter last night. Still no activity in the air lock, 14 hours later... I'm not worried though, I'm having a home brew..;)

I can't imagine how fast a counter flow chiller brings the temp down, my immersion chiller works crazy fast...

Basso

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
Home brewing is fun. It's been awhile since I've made my own. But looking at these pics brings back some good memories

:cheers: