Quantcast

My iMac crashed today

2piece

Chimp
May 30, 2004
Wake Forest, NC.
For the first time since purchase 2 years ago, my iMac crashed. Purchased the Apple Protection plan with the iMac and come to find out, in does not cover my problem :( They said it only covers the hardware side, and not the software. Bit mis-leading if you read the Apple Protection plan box and docs. I'm pissed :( Going to call back and talk to another tech for a second opinion.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
2piece said:
For the first time since purchase 2 years ago, my iMac crashed. Purchased the Apple Protection plan with the iMac and come to find out, in does not cover my problem :( They said it only covers the hardware side, and not the software. Bit mis-leading if you read the Apple Protection plan box and docs. I'm pissed :( Going to call back and talk to another tech for a second opinion.
Sounds like a prime opportunity to throw away that piece of trash known as a Mac, and buy a REAL computer ;) :p :D

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
2piece said:
What OS are you running?
Can it start up at all... how far does it get?
Do you have a system disc that came with your Mac.

You can probably fix the problem with minimal effort.

binary visions said:
Sounds like a prime opportunity to throw away that piece of trash known as a Mac, and buy a REAL computer ;) :p :D
SO he can crash once a month instead of once every 2-3 years? :rolleyes: :monkey:

2piece

Chimp
May 30, 2004
Wake Forest, NC.
golgiaparatus said:
What OS are you running?

SO he can crash once a month instead of once every 2-3 years? :rolleyes: :monkey:
When I turn it on couple of days ago, it opened it all the way, but noticed something was not right. All my personal prefs were gone and went default on me. The next day I turned it on to call tech support, I entered UID & PW but it would not take. Same UID and PW I've been using for 2 years. Super Drive would not open either. Running OS X Jauguar 10.2.8

I finally got the drive to release and booted with OS X disc one holding down shift key and was able to run disk check and found multiple line in red. Invalid this and that and missing this and that in line so and so. Performed disc repair and no change. At this point, Apple tech wanted me to go and buy some type of a repair app to try and make the fix on my own or take it to a authorized Apple dealer for repair @ my cost (WTF happened to 125.00 I paid for the 3 year Apple Prot. Plan.....thinking)

Anyways........thats where I stand. I have a 6 month old son and my iPhoto library was full of pics. I did however do a back up, but 2 months ago and really don't want loose those precious pics of my son :(

If there is a way to over ride the PW, it would be super. Even better if I can go in a backup all my data from iPhoto library and screw the rest. Then I can reload OS X and updates and drivers and be happy :)

What ya think?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
2piece said:
<snip>Anyways........thats where I stand. I have a 6 month old son and my iPhoto library was full of pics. I did however do a back up, but 2 months ago and really don't want loose those precious pics of my son :(

<snip>What ya think?
Well, look at it this way - at least you are only gonna lose 2 mo. of pics.

It's things like this that sometimes get people to do REGULAR backups of their important data. Like weekly. Or even daily if you have another large disk drive.

Or it's back to B.A.U. Sorry about your PC problems. I forsee a LOT of photographic history being lost due to problems like you're having. :(

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
What OS are you running?

Funny, my ~4 year old Intel box has never crashed.........

Unless I was booted up in Windows. :mumble:

-S.S.-

Riff Raff

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Back in Boulder ready ta ride
2piece said:
If there is a way to over ride the PW, it would be super.
What ya think?
Boot from the System boot disk and check under the file menu, You should see a password reset tool. Hope this helps. I think even if you boot to an O/S disk you can back-up your iPhoto stuff...

-H

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
2piece said:
When I turn it on couple of days ago, it opened it all the way, but noticed something was not right. All my personal prefs were gone and went default on me. The next day I turned it on to call tech support, I entered UID & PW but it would not take. Same UID and PW I've been using for 2 years. Super Drive would not open either. Running OS X Jauguar 10.2.8

I finally got the drive to release and booted with OS X disc one holding down shift key and was able to run disk check and found multiple line in red. Invalid this and that and missing this and that in line so and so. Performed disc repair and no change. At this point, Apple tech wanted me to go and buy some type of a repair app to try and make the fix on my own or take it to a authorized Apple dealer for repair @ my cost (WTF happened to 125.00 I paid for the 3 year Apple Prot. Plan.....thinking)

Anyways........thats where I stand. I have a 6 month old son and my iPhoto library was full of pics. I did however do a back up, but 2 months ago and really don't want loose those precious pics of my son :(

If there is a way to over ride the PW, it would be super. Even better if I can go in a backup all my data from iPhoto library and screw the rest. Then I can reload OS X and updates and drivers and be happy :)

What ya think?
Ok... Step 1: turn the thing on (with no discs in it) and wait for the chime (the cool noise all macs make up when they are starting) after the chime hold down Cmd/Apple + S... this will boot you into single user mode... once in you will get a prompt type in "fsck -y" dont forget the space between "fsck" and "-y" after this is done try to boot up.

If this doesnt work boot up from the CD... if you can see your drive then you should be able to transfer the files that you want to another drive or disc. If you need the information on the disc badly I'd say send it somewhere that can recover it.

If you dont need the info on there, format the drive and reinstall Jaguar.
Just for your info... I have been running Jaguar for over 2 years now on 4 seperate machines (G5, 2 G4s, and a blue G3) with no problems. Did you get a "kernal panic" with your crash?

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
Another option is (if you have another Mac) to shut the imac down, plug a firewire cable into it and into another (running) mac. Then start up the imac holding down the "t" key (target disk mode). it'll mount on the other computer just like a firewire hard drive. copy stuff off as necessary. THEN try the troubleshooting and reinstall as necessary.

One thing I did on my computer is to make a second user, which doesn't do anything until there is a problem, then use it for troubleshooting - although i've only had to use it once...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
Yeah, if he's running Windows ME :p. My 2000 and XP boxes only go down when I click the reboot button. Other than that, they are 100% stable and reliable.

Good luck with the computer dude, losing pictures blows.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
Yeah, if he's running Windows ME :p. My 2000 and XP boxes only go down when I click the reboot button. Other than that, they are 100% stable and reliable.

Good luck with the computer dude, losing pictures blows.
Yeah my company runs win2K or higher on all their desktops and servers except for one user with NT 4 - alot of the machines are 4-5 years old, old ass PIIs, cause they run on a tight budget - PCs give the world the most bang for their buck as their are the majority marketshare by far.

The only thing we've had problems with lately is dying HDDs in a few older notebooks and a few cases of spyware. Viruses and patching have never been an issue. Viral protection is three layered - at our brokerage compliance archiving services (doesn't catch much, they are going to improve it soon), at the firewall before email attachments get to the server and SAV updated on the desktops every 700 minutes. Patches are checked every night automatically afterhours. We could do client-server spyware scans if I had some money for something like pest patrol, but we get by with spybot S&D and adware along with some manual action on the harder malware programs. Spam is caught by both a pre-filtering service and our compliance archiving system...

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
its nice not to have to run spyware removal apps. but I gues SOMEONE has to employ the IT guys and give them something to do... I think all the spyware stuff is CREATED by IT guys so they can justify their salaries...

and you are nieve to think that WIN2K and XP never have problems just because you don't. then again, its probably pretty easy for an IT guy to keep a series of PC's from crashing. the average home user is another story... But the fact that humans make the computers, mean that sometime they will all fail. regardless of mac/PC. Heck, they are probably even designed that way (planned obsolescence). Anyway, I wouldn't count your pictures as being totally lost. it just depends on if you have the resources and desire (and $) to have it retreived from the HD.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
pretty funny how 1 person has a problem with a mac and everyone is like "buy a PC", while i *very often* see things like "my PC has spyware/virus/crash" please help me... but you PC people seem to forget that part of it...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MtnBikerNJ said:
and you are nieve to think that WIN2K and XP never have problems just because you don't.
I don't think anyone's saying that Win2k and XP computers never have problems, my point is that Golgi was saying they crash all the time, which simply isn't true. Macs and PCs both have plenty of problems, but there is no reason to believe that PCs are significantly more "crash-y" than Macs.

MtnBikerNJ said:
pretty funny how 1 person has a problem with a mac and everyone is like "buy a PC"
I was kidding. Well, not entirely, but it wasn't a matter of solving the problem, it was a matter of getting what I consider to be a superior system :D

syadasti - sounds like a pretty secure virus system. We have 3 layers as well... Our email is hosted out of an HP secure server somewhere in Colorado, which has a server virus scan. Then, when the email gets to our servers, its scanned again, and finally at the user level. The only real problem we have is when a bunch of non-email virus hits the server and the server is so busy cleaning up that the internet connection is shot for an hour or so. Adaware is run from a login script on the server twice a week on everyone's computer.

We recently had a batch of computers that we found out were running those old "Big Foot" drives (the huge flat ones), which are horrible drives, being that it's not a matter of if they will fail, just a matter of when. Lord only knows what IS employee decided to put those antiquated pieces of crap into the new computers to save some money...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
But the fact that humans make the computers, mean that sometime they will all fail. regardless of mac/PC. Heck, they are probably even designed that way (planned obsolescence). Anyway, I wouldn't count your pictures as being totally lost. it just depends on if you have the resources and desire (and $) to have it retreived from the HD.
There, you said it - its just another computer system, nothing magical about it like some zealots think - they all let you do you work and sometimes they have their problems. The Mac still have a significant price premium and they don't have as many options, that is the only thing against them.

The PC with Windows on it does have more issues, but its the main staple of the world as a computing platform. There are more people to do everything for it - design software/hardware, create malware, find holes etc.. People who want to do bad with the least possible resources go for the biggest/most visible target. Just like terrorists like to target the rich countries with things they want - they especially want Americans - its the most power effect they can have against such a large and powerful country.

I agree the Windows platform is hard for the uneducated computer user, but operating most electronic devices period is - I've seen it plenty of times at work. Microsoft generally does a poor job with their products and malware authors are good at what they do. Who ever is on top is going to be the most targeted. People can and have made malware for everything, even PDAs and cellphones.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
Obnly a snide joke in response to your original remark.
I know... I didn't take it seriously.

Don't you love how stuff like this happens? You weren't serious. I wasn't serious. Yet it turned into a serious discussion :p

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Any computer will crash without regular maintenance. It's not all that different from bikes, really. My work machine (Mac) is rock solid. As someone said before, it only goes down when I click "restart." Other people in the building have no idea what they're doing, and before they know it, the little annoying issues have become big deals that require a lot of effort.

Unfortunately, it's sounding like a wipe & reinstall on your machine, 2piece. That's only happened to my personal machine twice in the 10 years or so that I've used Macs. How many times have people reinstalled various versions of Windows in that time?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
syadasti said:
Ah, so you agree Macs suck also since they are a type of personal computer :D
I wont disagree... I hate computers... a sizable amount of my life is "wasted" in front of one... so yeah, they suck big time.

However, I do know, when run properly, which OS between mac and win crashes the most and is the most prone to problems.