Quantcast

My internet connection has gone to hell

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Qwest high speed DSL, two computers, one wired one wireless (XP)

In the last 24 hour, the connection has gone to total hell - server timeouts on email and web pages, crawling along to dial-up type speeds if a page loads at all...both computers.

I've power cycled the system numerous times. ISP has done all the checks on their end (supposedly) and had me reset my DNS connection. They mentioned something about all the electrical storms we've had playing havoc with everything. Qwest insists that nothing is bad, but I've asked for a technician anyway since I am paying for line coverage. Last time they came out when we first got DSL they were able to improve speed dramatically. I've asked them to send me a new modem just for grins.

I've done all the scans, spyware checks etc ( AVG, updated spybot and ad-aware) and I'm out of ideas. We run an engineering co out of the house among other things, and I am stumped here. Any ideas?

FWIW, no new software has been installed, caches have been cleared, all that...

thanks for anything you can toss my way.

GG

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If it's with both computers, it's almost guaranteed to be the modem. If the ISP has checked everything in their lines (take this with a grain of salt, BTW. They'll often push back until you do everything you can possibly do, and then they'll do real testing), replacing the DSL modem frequently fixes speed issues.

We do it with customers all the time. I don't know what makes cable modems more reliable than the DSL modems, but we replace a DSL modem every couple weeks. Virtually every time, the replacement fixes it.

You have, of course, tried plugging a computer directly into the modem and bypassing the router? Or is this one of those hybrid modem/wireless routers?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
yeah, I made them send me a new modem anyway.

I will try the bypass thing. The conneciont goes dsl from wall>>>qwest modem (actiontec POS)>>>>wireless router which has both the wired and non wired computers. Will try your suggestion.

haha, switching to cable might be one way to fix this...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
yeah, I made them send me a new modem anyway.

I will try the bypass thing. The conneciont goes dsl from wall>>>qwest modem (actiontec POS)>>>>wireless router which has both the wired and non wired computers. Will try your suggestion.

haha, switching to cable might be one way to fix this...
Do you have the Actiontec M1000? They sent you an upgraded modem?

My Qwest has been slow lately as well...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Bwahaha, this has been such a circus. I did replace the modem as that seemed the logical thing to do ( this involved having to drive 10 miles and buy the frickin thing) But that didn't work either.

Finally at 5:30 last night I get a call from the service tech letting me know that the problem is out there somewhere, something took a hit during the t-storms we had. I wasn't very nice to the guy, "duh, tell me something I don't know". I hate to say it, but it takes them 48 hours after my first call to confirm what I figured was happening? This is no surprise. I knew I didn't need a new modem, I knew it was in the lines, the stupid phone tech people kept telling me I didn't have a problem... If it's a regional/neighborhood outage, how can they not know?

Comcast here we come.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'm actually going to break even on this. The whole point ( for me) for having the DSL is that I could support a small, locally owned ISP. Well, unfortunately they don't have control over what Qwest does, so that is the end of hat.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not surprised. Suddenlink took 5 months to correct an issue that was affecting our entire neighborhood. Only, they didn't know it was affecting our entire neighborhood - they thought the several different customers all with the exact same complaint were just having independent issues :rolleyes:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
When I was on DSL, the connection went to crap when someone used the microwave. Glad your connection is resolved or getting resolved.