Quantcast

My kid's friends...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ARE FVCKING LAME.

So I get a call the other day from my daughter as I am driving home from work.

"Hi...we're at the mall and everyone wants to get food, is that ok?

"Yes. Make sure you get home after that and do your homework. Pick up some job applications while you are there."

Simple. Right?

2 hours later she isn't home and isn't answering her cell.

I get a call...

"Hi...this is James from Sears Loss Prevention. We need you to come pick up your daughter."

:huh:

:plthumbsdown:

:banghead:

I knew right away it wasn't her fault. I knew it before I hung up the phone.

I go to pick her up - her and her "best" friend are sitting in the Loss Prevention office in front of a huge bank of CCTV monitors.

I give them my ID and they make some copies and I sign some stuff before we leave. My kid is sobbing and freaking out and her friend was sitting there with a blank "I don't give a fvck" expression the whole time.

Turns out they were exiting the mall through Sears and her "friend" grabbed two bras and ripped the tags off and stuffed them in a bag on the way to the door.

:disgust1:

My daughter is still in big trouble. We warned her specifically about sh1t like this. Guilt by association is a hard concept to make stick with a 16 year old - at least it was until now.

All her friends suck.

I had a long talk with my daughter about how it's important to pick friends that look out for you and have your back and don't drag you down when they fvck up. Her "best" friend didn't care less that my kid was busted along with her.

And get this....HER FRIEND'S PARENTS DID NOTHING.

Nothing.

Fvcking SAD.

They talked to her for a few minutes. She's not in trouble for stealing. She was joking about the whole thing the next day in school.

"Well...I won't ever steal from THAT store again..."

:twitch:

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Ugh. Sucks.

As I have a young daughter (still a baby) I'm interested in how you plan on dealing with this? Are you going to 'allow' her to hang out with this person still? (I know it's hard with a 16 year old).

When I was around 14 or 15 I was told I wasn't allowed to hang with one particularly bad egg.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Are you going to 'allow' her to hang out with this person still? (I know it's hard with a 16 year old).
Oh HELL no.

She isn't allowed in our house and my kid won't be allowed to make plans with her.

If they hang out at school or see each other incidentally - eh. I can't stop that.

I don't think it's a prob though. My kid never, EVER swears in front of me. This whole incident prompted to her to scream, "I FVCKING HATE HER GUTS!!" on the drive home from the mall. I don't think they'll be hangin out much anymore.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Oh HELL no.

She isn't allowed in our house and my kid won't be allowed to make plans with her.

If they hang out at school or see each other incidentally - eh. I can't stop that.

I don't think it's a prob though. My kid never, EVER swears in front of me. This whole incident prompted to her to scream, "I FVCKING HATE HER GUTS!!" on the drive home from the mall. I don't think they'll be hangin out much anymore.
Good, very good. I think that's probably how I would handle it too. Sounds like you have a good kid.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The best part, is that a doctor would claim that this kid is a kleptomaniac and needs medicine, not discipline. How did kleptomania ever become a diagnosable mental disorder. Because the kid likes to steal?

The American Medical Association needs to get their ish together.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I got busted stealing from Walmart when I was 17. I'm not allowed in any Walmart in the entire world.

That was probably the stupidest thing I have ever done.... wait... no there are lots more things.... thats just one of them.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Oh HELL no.

I had a friend like that in high school. Evey other day I hated her guts. We stayed best friends until she got hooked on heroin and started stealing from me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I had a friend like that in high school. Evey other day I hated her guts. We stayed best friends until she got hooked on heroin and started stealing from me.
That was part of the conversation we had afterward, how far down a person can go. I've seen it.

So has she, she lost her mother to meth. (we think...she disappeared several years ago).

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
What a mess. Hopefully your girl will learn something from it.

My oldest daughter is about the same age. No incidents... yet. I'm waiting.

Her friend is a dumbass. If you are going to be a thief, be a good one.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So........ did she pick up an app for Sears?
She already applied there awhile back.

She is never allowed in the store again. If they hire her, she'll have to telecommute.

:think:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Out of all my friends in high school, the one guy who would steal from the mall was one who had everything given to him, and did not need to steal.
A couple years back at age 34 and still living at home, he killed both of his parents, and then lit a bunch of candles around their bodies and hung out with them for days until the cops showed up.
Seriously.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Her friend's parents need their butts kicked as a matter of principle.

I agree. They let her get away with sh1t all the time. That kid is going to end up pregnant and/or dead.

We can't even talk to her parents about it, they don't speak a single word of English.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Out of all my friends in high school, the one guy who would steal from the mall was one who had everything given to him, and did not need to steal.
A couple years back at age 34 and still living at home, he killed both of his parents, and then lit a bunch of candles around their bodies and hung out with them for days until the cops showed up.
Seriously.
Now THAT is a party.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I agree. They let her get away with sh1t all the time. That kid is going to end up pregnant and/or dead.

We can't even talk to her parents about it, they don't speak a single word of English.
Are they here legally?

One phone call....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
First of all, I hope you can convince your daughter that her "friend" is no good and to avoid her at all costs.

Second, I would do the tough love program, starting with a trip to the police station/jail then a visit to your bike shop, preferably the one with a bunch of smart mouth kids.

Mention how your daughter is a thief, and she will hear lots of obnoxious comments from hard working individuals who dream up ways to execute bike thieves.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Are they here legally?

One phone call....
and what? they'd know he's the snitch.

time to bring back cross-burning. or you could just buy a bunch of cheap sneakers from the local salvation army, tie the laces together & throw them over the power lines in front of their house....and wait.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
That was part of the conversation we had afterward, how far down a person can go. I've seen it.

So has she, she lost her mother to meth. (we think...she disappeared several years ago).
Props for raising a good kid after all the crappola you've been through. Good kids sometimes just need one reminder and they fly straight after that. Your daughter will come out of this a bit more wise.

I was hanging around with a couple "bad influence" kids growing up and was starting to steal stuff. Got caught once stealing those chrome valve caps "chromies" from a car by the car's owner. The woman didn't know what I was doing and I talked my way out of it, but it scared the cheet out of me. Stopped doing that and the friendship ended. The kid that I was doing that with is now a cop. :busted:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A bra from sears, wtf? Your daughter needs to hang out with girls who have better taste in lingerie. She's never going to learn the right balance between classy and slutty from that "friend."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good luck with that.

Our son waited until he was 18 to be a jackass with friends. So he got to do jail time, probation, and now has a record. The worst part is he was drunk when he got busted, so if he was found drunk again, he was in violation of his probation, even after he turned 21.

It took 2 trips to jail (2 day stay the first time, 5 day stay the second time) before it sunk in. He has finally finished his probation and hasn't been in trouble since.

Even though we told him not to hang out with those same jackasses, he wasn't living with us, so it was unenforceable advice at that point.