Quantcast

My KINK JIM C. bike...

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I'm seriously considering a Kink for my next frame. I dunno, though. T1's been awfully good to me.

That's a nice bike, RD. I'm not a fan of the brakeless thing personally, but if it works for you, that's cool.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I used to ride brakeless, then got this frame. i had brakes on it, well sorta. but the mounts are welded crookedly so i took them off. kink told me to go F myself when I tried to get it warrantied. Still the best riding frame I've been on though. I love it. I only ride street anyways.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Man... Kink wouldn't warranty it even though it was a manufacturing defect? What's up with that?!

I like their product, but that's not a very comforting thing to hear... :(

Hey, if riding brakeless works for you, go for it. I'm just sick of the brakeless goobers around here crashing in to me at the park. ;)

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
hahaha, i hear teh crash thing. i'm mainly into techy type street stuff, and don't ride too much park, but when I do I'd have to consider myself to be very cautious of others.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I have been considering getting myself a Cielencki frame, but if they wouldn't even fix something like out of alignment brake posts, that scares me:(

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Instigator
I have been considering getting myself a Cielencki frame, but if they wouldn't even fix something like out of alignment brake posts, that scares me:(
Trailblazers would not accept a frame with a defect, and we certainly wouldn't sell it to a customer. ;)

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Instigator
Yeah. I'll probably scratch Kink off my list of potential "next BMX bike" companies. :(

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Wait. You're in Rochester. Just go over to the Kink office and yell at Zack until he listens. :D

To be fair, this is the only case I've ever heard of a problem with the company. Perhaps it's an isolated incident. In any case, I'd do a little more research before I decided not to buy one of their bikes.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
here are the parts...

Chainwheel- FBM 36t w/ guard
fork-Odyssey 41Thermal Race
headset- KING
stem- S&M Refdneck Lite
Bras- Macneil Ruben
grips- Primo V-grip
bar ends- FBM
Rims- Araya Super 7x 36h chrome
Ft hub- PrimoPro low flange 36h
Rr hub- PrimoPro cassette w/ hurricane grind guard 36h
chain- KMC 410H
Pedals- Primo Mag tenderizers
Cranks- Profile 175mm blk euro w/ Ti spindle
Ft. Tire- Primo Dirt Monster 2.10"
rr Tire- Primo V-Monster 1.95"
Tubes- Trek 20" schraeder
Spokes DT SWISS STAINLESS
Nips- DT BRASS SILVER
RIM TAPE- Velox
seatpost clamp- Salsa
Seat- Primo
seatpost- Thomson
Pegs- DK Titanium Firestarter
headset spacers- reynolds carbon

mods- trimmed bars
- trimmed steerer
- no valve caps
- Ti spindle
- trimmed seatpost
- trimmed axles
that's it... she's a great ride...;)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I'm guessing under 30. 28 pounds, maybe. With aluminum seatposts, the Jim C. frame and some titanium parts, it's gonna be stupid light.

My bike, on the other hand, is a freaking Sherman tank in comparison. I've been looking at race bikes lately, and it's making me seriously consider putting Ole Bessie on a diet.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I just got a Hazard Lite rear wheel and I'm building a front one as soon as the hub gets here. That should take a pound off the Freebird... I'll have to weigh it...

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I'm contemplating a new wheelset for mine as well. Along with a lighter stem, pedals and seat/post/clamp combo...

Graham

Chimp
Nov 8, 2001
Simcoe, Ontario
****, I haven't been on this board in AGES. However, I think you're bike is fackin sweet. I'm not a big fan of brakeless, but hell, that's my opinion, and to each their own! That sucks about the whole brake mount ordeal too. Anyway, here is my bike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=...ew&image=106526

'04 Ruben frame
-Ruben fork 14mm
-Primopro cassette with 11t driver (LHD) on Alex Supra B with 14g spokes
-Front wheel is a specialized sealed 14mm hub on black Supra B, 13g spokes
-Ruben stem
-Specialized bars (came stock on my old 415 pro - straight, and niiice feel)
-Tank headset
-Rob O grips
-Tech 77 lever, shaved
-straight cable, jagwire housing
-Evolver brake
-Specialized cranks (FSA, specialized badged)
-Primo mag tenderizers
-Primopro 30T CNC sprocket
-410 chain
-Hemmorhoid seat
-MTB alloy post
-Fit clamp
-Macneil cromo pegs
-Taj 2.1 front tire, Wall 2.1 rear tire
-Primo Cyclone hubguard

I know it's all out of order and ****, but there ya go.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
nice ride man... I still haven't gotten a chance to weigh her yet. I've been working on stupid Solidworks shiitte all day long.... Oh the perils of Engineering school;)

Apollo_K

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Weighed mine today, it's 33lbs. I have an old school Hoffman Flash(Race frame!), First batch so it has 990 mounts. Usually they have V-Brake mounts. Cromo and as awsome as can be.
Also has...
T1 medium bars
Nate Hanson grips
Tech 77 lever
custom pipe barends
Kink Crossbolt
oryg
Odyssey flatland fork
Custom wheels (Black chrome demolition rims, 48 front hub black, 48 demolition cassette rear, w/black spokes and silver nipples,14mm axels)
Primo hemroid
Gt cranks
Shimano DX pedals(Jumping)Snafu pedals(grinding)
T1 sprocket
Trail slayer fornt and some new Odtssey tire in the back
Post pics later...

Oh new frame time because my drop outs folded(Race frame remember?) I knew i would happen sooner or later, but i weigh in at a whoping 125lbs so i turned out to be later.
OK 2004 Ruben signature frame($270) or Terrible One Nate Wessel signature frame w/custom 20in top tube($300) or maybe ill see sme new stuff at inter bike... later