Quantcast

My kitchen renovation

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
In the middle of February, I was finally able to start my kitchen renovation.
Shots of pre-remodel kitchen.

BigT really liked demo, mostly because I let her smash up the old cabinets. We first removed them and carried them outside, and BigT went at them with the crow bar.

Sans cabinets

I had to open some of the walls to allow for upgrading the electric. I'm lucky enough to have a licensed master electrician living in the complex. I offered to hire him, but he refused and said "But I'll help you". Score!

Walls closed up and taped

Taped and mudded ready for paint

We have paint! A muted yellow called Banana Split

Next to get demoed is the wonderful flooring.

And oak laminate that we've had for 5 years waiting for the renovation.

To be continued...

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Sweet! That kitchen was quite, um ripe for a remodel. Much like my own, stuck in the 1960's. We're just waiting to finish with the bedrooms/bathrooms remodel we started 5 weeks ago, then it's on to the kitchen and dining rooms.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Please tell me that you are ditching hte electric stove for a GAS stove. That is really the only way to go. And if there is no gas there now, run a line there for one. You might as well since you are re-modeling.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Wow GREAT work! Our kitchens are pretty similar in the before pics, except that our counters are like burnt orange! lol! Keep it up over there and watch out for questions when we start doing ours!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Please tell me that you are ditching hte electric stove for a GAS stove. That is really the only way to go. And if there is no gas there now, run a line there for one. You might as well since you are re-modeling.
Not all areas of the east coast have gas line access.
My street doesn't and the gas co wants $5k per address to run it down our street from the corner.

We have an induction cooktop and it rules.
I'd get it over a gas stove any day and, when we do ultimately run a gas line to convert from heating oil, I'm not even considering going back to a gas stovetop.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
We have an induction cooktop and it rules.
I'd get it over a gas stove any day and, when we do ultimately run a gas line to convert from heating oil, I'm not even considering going back to a gas stovetop.
Induction is the only way I could go back to Electric.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Induction is the only way I could go back to Electric.
Yeah, conventional electric sucks.
Other than needing to invest in new pots/pans (cast iron still work too), induction is awesome.
I prefer it to gas in every way.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Cabinets installed that we got just before I went to RI for a year.

Outlet in cabinet for over-the-range microwave

We thought that we really wanted laminate counter tops, but after pricing everything out, we found out that we could get granite for not much more.

The granite guy called on a Saturday and said that he would be in the area on Monday and could install our counter at 11ish. I called on Sunday and left a message saying not to come, and also on Monday morning to have him call me. He never got the messages. I had a couple of hours of comp time, so the boss sent me home for a few hours on Monday. Around 11, the granite guy shows up. Good thing I was home.

Counter tops installed.

The back splash (not installed)

The hardware BigT picked out.

The back splash installed.

Finally grouted!

Just have a little trim to finish.

The toe kick arrived today, will be a couple of days before I can install it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My buddy just remodeled his kitchen with a NE Puddingstone Oven/Stove/Fireplace combo. The Fireplace faces inside and the ovens face outside. I want one.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Are those the same dishes in the rack when you first started in the before and after pics? hehe j/k. Everything looks good but tell me how much it hurts when you bang your knees on those lower cabinet/drawer handles.