Quantcast

my knee is falling apart.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
I underwent ACL reconstruction with a 60% debrided meniscus in January. My PT knows all the details, but my knee still has this instablity to it, doing everyday things like walking and road rides. It's a combination of lateral movement along with sort of a separating feeling when i lift my foot up (feels like the knee is pulling apart). any advice on excercises to tighten it up better, or a method of icing/resting it to keep it together?

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Did you try more beer?

;)

I hope someone has an answer. come to think of it, shouldn't the physiotherapist have an answer?

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
i tried LOTS of beer, but then i was simply FATTER on a broken knee so sort of counterproductive. hmm, usually cures everything else...

ya she should, maybe we'll get it tighter as time goes on, but there's lots of ways to rehab a knee, and thought someone else might have a better plan.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
surely your PT has prescribed a recovery strategy comprising various exercises. Seems we had nearly the exact same injury. It's now 3 months since your surgery. It will feel a bit funny for a while. The trick in the interim is to start rebuilding the muscles in your leg. It's amazing how quickly they waste away if you underutilize them.

The muscle that requires focus is your hamstrings. Get them strong again, and your knee will take care of itself.
My recovery was somewhat complicated, in that I had used a knee brace locked to 20 degrees for a bit too long. It resulted in my knee stiffening up to the point that it was locked at 20 deg, ie, i couldnt straighten it completely. took about 4-6 months of forcing it before it finally straightened out. Then it was muscle rebuilding time.
Those exercises the PT normally prescribes are often boring, but if you apply yourself, and push it, it will yield amazing results.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
my PT this time around is actually much less aggressive than i would like. When I did my Left acl my therapist got me much more active, but at the same time I lost much less meniscus last time than this time. My left knee feels great and super tight, i just wanna get my right knee on par.